Newly Improved Nugget

“Computers are simply a necessary and enjoyable part of life, like food and books. Computers are not everything, they are just an aspect of everything, and not to know this is computer illiteracy, a silly and dangerous ignorance.”

Computers are becoming everything. Those enjoyable things mentioned such as food and books are now computer involved. Books can be purchased and viewed digitally on devices known as the Nook or Kindle and food coupons can be viewed and orders palced using digital devices. In one of my previous blog posts, there was even talk of a printer that can create  edible items. So, it is true that computers are an aspect of everything, but I believe they are  progressing to be the entirety of all things we engage ourselves with.

Since computers are indeed becoming more than an aspect of life, it’s true that computer illiteracy is a dangerous characteristic to possess. In a world where everything is becoming automated by computers and technology, the average human will absolutely have to have a general knowledge on the workings of these machines. It takes patience, but I believe it is a knowledge of which everyone should be required to obtain.

People used to wash laundry and dishes by hand and that was the only way they knew how to get their items in a cleanly state. However, a washing machine was introduced to the world. Upon the purchase of this device, the consumer had to learn how to operate the machine properly. This concept obtaining probably did take some time to get used to and understand, but once the technique was established, washing clothes became a very easy and less time consuming chore.

I believe that computers fall under the same concept of the washing machine. It’s an amazing device that can help one save so much time and energy, but reluctance to learn it’s tools can leave one in complete frustration. If everyone took the time to learn how to operate a computer, I believe the world would be more prosperous. In that same breath however, if computers begin to take over the world as they seem to be progressing in capability towards, then i fear it could run human existence into a trivial state given they would be able to function so much more properly and efficiently than a human specimen.

There are classes one can take at the Apple stores or public libraries that improve technological literacy, but society has to be willing to take those steps. In a world that relies so heavily on computing capability, it is a tool necessary to even the most general of public.

Speaking of which, I recently went into an Apple store to obtain a new charger and was surprised by what I saw. There were three tables full of older ladies and gentleman actually being trained in how to use Apple products efficiently and correctly. As I was happy to see the older generations interest in gaining this technological knowledge, I realized it was only geared towards the Apple products though. So, if Apple is the only place that’s really honing in the students, does that mean we will eventually turn to a complete Apple technology world since it’s use will be the most known? I thought maybe for a second, but then realized we still don’t technically operate on one measuring system or language even though there are clearly most used options in those areas.