Uncategorized

A Look into My Ballet World

16 Jul , 2015  

Sharing my perspective on the ballet world in which I live. Enjoy!

,

By

7 Responses

1. bivinsdl says:

I think that choosing to make a video was a good choice for your topic. I think that a lot of people would probably be surprised by how much ballet and sociology can be related. I think it’s great that you found ways in which ballet has a culture of its own and how you can use it to connect with others. I was really surprised by how much social structure there was in the ballet world and how there is not only competition to be great but also competition with dancers themselves. I think this was a really strong use of the platform we were given and you did a great job.

2. rubybabe07 says:

I like how you stated that you hold all the power to succeed within yourself. Those are empowering and encouraging words. I also think it’s interesting how your fellow dancers are your best friends but you’re also competing against them. Ballet seems like such an interesting culture and unique. Thank you for sharing that with us. I thoroughly enjoyed watching your video. Side note: OUCH! My toes hurt just thinking about doing what you do on a daily basis! 😉

3. You clearly are passionate about ballet and this video is a great way to give the viewer a little taste of what you do. Very creative approach to this assignment. I really enjoyed it and learned a bit about this “world” of yours.

You also cover the basics with how culture, structure, and power are relevant in this context. One point: I understand what you were saying about the importance of being self-directed–“having the power.” However, ultimately there are power differences, right? Someone has to decide, for example, who makes the cut in choosing the company. That, too, is another type of power very closely related t

• gaubatzek says:

You are correct that there is a hierarchy of power in ballet companies just as there are in corporations and government. Ultimately, the artistic director of a ballet company holds the most power and can choose which dancer he or she wants to perform in any given role. This aspect of ballet is often very frustrating to dancers because not getting the part you dream of is quite tough. Yet we push on and keep working towards our goals and this is where the “power over my own actions” idea comes into play for me.

4. [oops, got cut off there]

…related to your description of the structure of ballet, with its various tiers. Usually, when there is that sort of hierarchical structure, there are inevitably differences in power, too. That’s not unique to ballet, just something characteristic of social structures.

5. says:

Great blog post! I loved how you put a video on instead of a simple blog post like a lot of people did. It gave a lot of great insight into your world, and the sociological connections that were made. The various aspects of sociology you covered, I felt, were ingrained in a great manner and I felt as if I had genuinely made connections after. Great work 🙂