Concept Experience #2 “Man/Woman-Computer Symbiosis”

A potential topic for my inquiry project, I was concerned with, is Internet privacy. While brainstorming and reading online about this topic I have already learned that there are going to be many different paths I could take. This topic interested me because I wonder if we really do have privacy on the internet.

I teamed up with my MacBook, that I have had for about half a decade now, to explore this topic. My journey begins here:

Wikipedia: Internet Privacy (Origin)

Screen Shot 2014-06-18 at 5.01.51 PM

I chose to begin my journey here because it is very broad, gives me a lot of information, and this specific page is rich with links. After reading this article I have concluded that this is the main link. I will keep referring to this link and going back to it. This website is the hub of which all the other information branches off of, but leads back to. I first discover that privacy can entail personally identifiable information or non-personally identifiable information such as a site visitor’s activity. I proceeded on clicking on a link about personally identifiable information.

1. Wikipedia: Personally Identifiable Information (PII)

Screen Shot 2014-06-18 at 9.05.09 PM

Here I figured out that PII is information that can be used on its own or with other information to identify, contact, or locate a single person, or to identify an individual in context. This information is becoming easier to collect and could be detrimental when obtained by a criminal. In more detail criminals can stalk and steal your identity. That is where I clicked for an even more detailed reading.

2. Wikipedia: Identity Theft (Dead End)

Screen Shot 2014-06-18 at 9.05.25 PM

Although this is a dead end and I already know a lot about identity theft, I acquired even more vital information. Criminals can use identity theft in committing financial identity theft, identity cloning, medical identity theft, and child identity theft. By committing these crimes criminals can obtain goods and services with credit cards, use it in a daily life, and obtain medical care or drugs. Identity theft can also facilitate illegal immigration, terrorism, phishing and espionage. What was also found on this link were more in depth explanations and major examples throughout history. After visiting this site I went back to origin website.

3. Schneier on Security (Dead End)

Screen Shot 2014-06-18 at 9.05.38 PM

As I continued reading the original article I stumbled upon two men that had different views of this situation. Steve Rambam, a private investigator specializing in Internet privacy cases, believes privacy no longer exists. On the other hand, Bruce Schneier says, “Privacy protects us from abuses by those in power, even if we’re doing nothing wrong at the time of surveillance.” I clicked on the reference to this quote because I wanted the break down of it and for it to be explained in more detail. On that website I learned other meanings of the word privacy and also new forms of debate such as “security versus privacy.”

4. Wikipedia: Information Privacy

Screen Shot 2014-06-18 at 9.06.09 PM

After going back to the original site after yet another dead end, I found out that Internet Privacy is a subset of Information Privacy so I clicked on that link. This link was more of what I was looking for. It dealt with the relationship between collection and dissemination of data, technology, the public expectation of privacy, and the legal and political issues surrounding them. Once I read that page I found a topic that was more interesting to me. I know there are set laws and loopholes on privacy over the internet, but what are the public’s expectation of privacy?

5. Wikipedia: Expectation of Privacy

Screen Shot 2014-06-18 at 9.07.00 PM

Here I learned that expectation of privacy is a legal test which is crucial in defining the scope of the applicability of the privacy protections of the Fourth Amendment. Just a heads up the Fourth Amendment prohibits unreasonable search and seizures and requires any warrant to be judicially sanctioned and supported by probable cause. There are in fact two types of expectations of privacy, subjective expectation of privacy that involves a certain individual’s opinion and objective that involves society. Overall it is related to but not he same thing as right to privacy. Right to privacy is more broad and to read more on this topic you must see privacy law.

6. Wikipedia: Privacy Law (Dead End)

Screen Shot 2014-06-18 at 9.07.19 PM

Privacy laws deal with the regulation of personal information about individuals which can be collected by governments and other public as well as private organizations. I feel the online world opens a new realm of privacy since you choose to put that information out there. This page also lists specific privacy laws that include Online Privacy Laws but did not have a link to it. So might have to back up a few steps to get back on the path of privacy and the online world.

7. Wikipedia: Privacy Issues of Social Networking Sites

Screen Shot 2014-06-18 at 9.07.36 PM

I think I might have found a great Inquiry Project topic! As I looked for more links in my original article I came across a link about privacy issues of social networking sites. This is probably the most modern article concerning online privacy I could find. This article deals with cyberstalking, location disclosure, social profiling, 3rd party disclosure, invasive privacy agreements, and law enforcement prowling the networks. All of those being potentially important pieces to the project. I again tried to narrow my scope to one topic and chose cyberstalking because it interested me.

8. Wikipedia: Cyberstalking (Dead End)

Screen Shot 2014-06-18 at 9.07.57 PM

Cyberstalking, specifically is the use of Internet or other electronic means to stalk or harass an individual, a group, or an organization. It may include false accusations, defamation, slander, and libel. This made me question how they make these laws and how to they would go about writing them? I know I am asking a lot of what if questions but making threats I understand is serious but stalking? You can’t really do anything about that. If you choose to put your information out there then a person should be able to stalk. Well I think that is as in depth as I can get on that topic. So just to widen my range of information on online privacy I chose to click on the link to a Wikipedia page regarding Internet for information.

9. Wikipedia: Internet

Screen Shot 2014-06-18 at 9.08.14 PM

This topic goes back to being very general but I hope it puts me back on the path of online privacy. I read through this and I was familiar with a lot of the things listed in the article. I tried to find something I could relate privacy to and found computer and network surveillance.

10. Wikipedia: Computer and Network Surveillance

Screen Shot 2014-06-18 at 9.08.38 PM

The exact definition of this is the monitoring of computer activity, of data stored on a hard drive, or being transferred over computer networks such as the Internet. I found a little subsection dealing with social network analysis. Then I concluded that I could narrow my searching down to online privacy from the government specifically, since I have a lot of information about it above or just as a branch to my topic. Turns out they are already investing money into agencies working on these projects to create social network “maps” and research. These agencies include the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA), the National Security Agency (NSA), and the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). I read up on each of those agencies and it seems like they have no limitations on how far they can search up information in online world.

In summation, I did not necessarily come to one complete conclusion on a topic but I could in fact use all of the significant information above to put in one paper. Throughout this trail I chose certain links that just sparked ideas in my head. I also chose to follow the ones I know would lead to another. But as you can see my links can tell you that my mind is all over the place and again I thought too hard about it. As you approach the last link it does not summarize or even mark the end of my searching. It only represents a road block until I can put all the links together or choose a specific one to deal with.

In the end my computer and I did well in the search. I could only wish that my computer could talk back to me and give me feed back. But by no means would have been able to reach the last link without working with the computer. In addition, my computer needed me for basic instructions and guidance. It was a mutual relationship between my computer and I because we worked off of each other. I look forward to future endeavors and trails to travel with my Macbook!

20 thoughts on “Concept Experience #2 “Man/Woman-Computer Symbiosis”

1. I loved the way that you analyzed your thinking about each link you visited and I was really surprised at the amount of dead ends you came to! Something that you said got me thinking though. When you said “If you choose to put your information out there than a person should be able to stalk.”, does that mean you think that it’s okay for people to stalk you since you were the one who put the information out? What about if your information was stolen. Is it any different to you than someone following you around in real life? I was just curious on your thoughts because your blog was really interesting!

• Yeah I was surprised too at the amount of dead ends I encountered. Hopefully all these great points will make up for those dead ends. Thanks for highlighting on that. You made me realize that I had one grammar mistake in there and I guess this situation is only applicable in certain situations. I looked at it on a smaller scale like if someone was just snooping around information somebody put out there. In your situation, where your information was stolen, that’s wrong in my head as well. Thanks for your feedback Justin!

2. I think you were very smart in your approach to your research. You started broad and you kept coming back to the core before branching out. You extended in every direction and it was a very thorough and satisfying search. What are you considering doing with this for your final project? I know you haven’t picked anything specific yet but I’m curious what possibilities you see for this topic?

Also I noticed you used Wikipedia almost exclusively. Could you talk a little about why? I’m basing my project on Wikipedia and basically your exact use — starting at one topic and traveling through the in-article hyperlinks to indulge curiosity.

• Thank you I had to resort to this tactic because this was one of those rare occasions where all the information was on this page.

I still have a lot of questions about the final project. I want to know how specific I have to be. If it can be broad I might include all the points I touched on. At one point in my blog I really wanted to highlight on social media privacy, it really interested me.

When I read the instructions it said just to follow link by link. Wikipedia, for me, just had links to Wikipedia page after Wikipedia page. I didn’t do it intentionally, it just happened like that.

3. I think your topic has a lot of potential to be a really good project. I think people are not as concerned about internet privacy as they should. I am guilty of this myself. Sometimes people put things on the internet at the spur of the moment without thinking things fully through. People will also put certain accounts available to everyone which may not be such a good idea.

4. Yes I hope I can guide this idea in the right direction. You are exactly right they post things and delete it in hopes it actually gets deleted off the Internet. But if you think about it, that information is still floating around.

5. This is a very long blog and you must have invested a lot of time into it. Now-a-days more and more people spend substantial amount of time on the internet and have internet life through their virtual avatars created on Facebook, Instagram, and similar sites. Many don’t realize how easy it is for many to monitor the lives of these avatars and derive useful information about their owner. The topic of your blog is a very important one.

• Thank you I did invest a lot of time into this blog! Writing is not my strongest suit so I like to spend the most time on it.

That is awesome that you said that. We do indeed put a lot of ourselves out there on social media and we just never know who is watching. Virtually anyone can view it and it is an important matter.

6. Hey topic buddy! I am basically decided to research the same topic but mines relate more to the need of government regulation on the internet due to the increase amount of criminal activity these past years. But great job! I love your explanation of your thought process.

• Hey! I am still having mixed feelings about this topic. Right now it seems to be all over the place. I hope to stick with it or focus down on a certain area of it. Wow I’m jealous that you already know what your topic is and thank you!

• By point that out I think you might have helped me choose a topic! Thank you, I am sure you did not even know you did but still thank you.

I do not think privacy exists. Once something is out there on the internet, there is someone that can access it. Even if you think it is private or you make it private I believe that there is always a way. I do agree that there should be privacy but when information is on the Internet it is a different story.

7. I think its interesting that you were almost exclusively on wikipedia, I scrolled to the bottom immediately and went off of source links, which lead me to other sites.

• I should have thought of that. I do not think I was confident enough with the topic I had chosen. I really wanted to get more information and narrow it down to something more specific.

8. It was good to see that your points remained on topic at least. I feel you had a specific direction you wanted to take your posts. Pretty informative post since you went into both what you learned from the pages as well as your though process. I’m sure this kind of thinking will help you narrow down a topic if you haven’t quite locked in on privacy.

• Yeah I tried to elaborate on each step as much as possible so I could track my thinking for myself and for you guys to understand. I do not think I have locked in on it either but I might have a lead on what I want to do. It is all a process!

9. Obviously your post generated a lot of attention — because you are so amazingly thorough in documenting your thought processes. It actually really helps me as a teacher to see how a student thinks as he clicks along, following trails and hitting dead ends. This is such an excellent post!
    I think you seem most excited about privacy and social media. You mentioned cyberstalking, location disclosure, social profiling, 3rd party disclosure, invasive privacy agreements, and law enforcement prowling the networks. You may not know exactly which of these threads are most compelling to you right now, but looking into some of them are interesting.
    Location disclosure, for example. It has lots of implications. I can imagine law enforcement could never have to track down any criminal who had a cell phone, if they are allowed access to gps tracking for all of us. I’ve heard stories (and read them) where people who have had their cell phones stolen have the gps location of the thief, and they go track their own phones down — putting themselves in danger in the process.
    So lots to research and think about — and you have already begun!! : )

• Thank you professor! I really did put a lot of effort into this post, glad to see I am getting feedback for it! There were a lot of topics I was interested in but this one attracted me the most. I also mentioned, in my most recent post, that I really enjoy writing papers that have to deal with controversy. I feel I can incorporate that into my topic because there has to be a lot of controversy in regards to Internet privacy because it is an uprising topic. They were not able to make laws on this decades ago because it didn’t exist. There might also be controversy because of the countless situations of Internet privacy. I am excited to continue my search!

10. I really enjoyed on how much detail that you put into your post. It allowed me to see why you thought a certain way at a given point. Also because of your post I was able to learn on how much more detail I should put into my post. I also enjoyed how on topic that you stayed on.

11. Thank you for the recognition! Yeah I do put a lot of work into them so that everything is clear and to the point. I am glad I could have that effect on you! We all are learning more and more based off of reading each others blogs!