“Working on Voice”

I chose these two paragraphs because they closely reflect my voice in my writing. I also chose them because they are both very important for my over all paper. The first paragraph is part of my introduction that I am using to draw the reader in. The second paragraph is an important paragraph to my writing as a whole because it lists very important information.

“Over the course of human existence there have been many pivotal inventions that change the way humans live. These life changing inventions comprise of the wheel, compass, printing press, combustion engine, light bulb, telephone, penicillin, internet, etc. and many more to come. The next invention that has the potential to be added to that list is 3D printing. 3D printing, also called additive manufacturing, is the process of making a three-dimensional object by successive layers of various materials laid down under computer control. Throughout 3D printing’s years of operation and alteration, it has become quite an innovative machine. Today 3D printers can print many things such as toys, tools, prosthesis, food, instruments, and molds. Recently scientists, engineers, and doctors integrated the 3D printer to bear the capabilities of printing organs, tissue, cartilage, body aiding contraptions, etc. 3D printing with its versatility and revolutionary effect on the medical field will undoubtedly earn its spot in the worlds most important inventions.

3D printing recently has made large impact on certain individual’s lives and has future plans to affect many more. One individual impacted by this invention is Garret who is mentioned in Nicole Edine’s article 3-D Printers Are Saving Babies’ Lives One Breath At A Time in the The Huffington Post. Edine states that, “Garrett, was born with a weak, soft cartilage in his windpipe – a rare condition called tracheobronchomalacia – which would cause him to stop breathing at a moment’s notice.” In response to this unusual disorder, Scott Hollister, a University of Michigan biomedical engineer, and Dr. Glenn Green, a trachea specialist, created a 3-D-printed flexible splint to hold open his windpipe until it’s strong enough to work independently, at which point it’ll dissolve.” A device like this splint has never been created before.”