About Me

About Me

Welcome to my E-Portfolio

https://twitter.com/Dr2bSimonsNP

My name is Natalia Giscombe-Simons.  Currently, I hold the position as Director Adult Day Health Centers/Long-Term Care Program Coordinators at Fairfax County Health Department.  After 25-years active duty military service, I retired with the rank of Lieutenant Colonel, assigned as Chief Nurse Executive at Edwards, Air Force Base California Medical Facility.  I am a board certified Adult Nurse Practitioner with over 33 years of progressive leadership responsibilities and diverse clinical experiences ranging from inpatient ICU, outpatient family practice, internal medicine, population health & medical management, COO of Federally Qualified Health Centers, director positions of quality improvement, accreditation compliance, patient safety, to education & training/staff development officer.

Over the years, I have enjoyed fusing business acumen with advanced nursing practice clinical expertise.  Furthermore, along with my front-line experience of global health and humanitarian missions within the military, all of which marries well with my academia role as adjunct professor,  preceptor and mentor to nursing students at baccalaureate and masters level programs.

My nursing philosophy is to embrace being a “lifelong learner”.  As a nurse leader and clinician I recognize the significance of ongoing, voluntary, and self-motivated pursuit of knowledge through education and scholarly activities. With that impetus, and in order to enhance my personal and professional development, I enrolled into the DNP program at VCU (cohort class-2022) and remain current in my advanced practice clinical skills.  I have continued to practice as a nurse practitioner conducting medicare home assessment visits for seniors and I volunteer at Moss Free Clinic in Fredericksburg, VA.  My major area of interest is community health and implementation and evaluation of “models of care” and system change, targeting chronically ill older adults and vulnerable adult populations.  I seek to explore processes and eventually, policy change impacting “social determinants of health” of marginalized populations in order to promote health equity and quality of care.  Therefore, influencing and empowering communities to incorporate self-management strategies related to the prevention, and management of chronic diseases —ultimately improving patient care/clinical outcomes.

I am originally from Panama, Central America, fluent in my native language of Spanish and grew up in Brooklyn New York.  My husband and I are empty-nesters of 5 adult children, with only our cockapoo “Ziggy” still residing with us.  In my spare time I am practicing what I preach and so I founded the Stafford/Fredericksburg local chapter of the national “GirlTrek” ladies walking group targeting women of color to help combat diabetes and other chronic diseases.   I am also an active member of the Virginia Council of Nurse Practitioners (VCNP), Fredericksburg Chapter, Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc., a community service sorority, and I am on the DNP Curriculum Committee at VCU as student representative.  Prior to COVID-19, we spent quality time visiting family and enjoying traveling to far away lands.