Hi! Welcome to our constantly evolving learning site! We are excited to make our learning visible by documenting how our thinking changes as we interact and have different experiences in the world of online education.

It all started when Stan and I (Yin) met a group of students from PSYC 795 Practicum in the Teaching of College Psychology (Fall 2014).

Brainstorming Exercise Notes on Whiteboard about What is Effective Face-to-Face Teaching

Brainstorming Exercise: What is Effective Face-to-Face Teaching?

We created this site with the goal of supporting graduate students with a basic toolkit of knowledge tools for first-time online teaching. [P.S. We do not focus on institutional support that teachers must have to be effective online teachers.]

This resource is a work-in-progress. We have opened up this site as a shared learning resource so that we may learn from others how to better improve this resource. We welcome your feedback!

Getting Started

You may start anywhere at this resource to browse and look for information that is helpful to you. There are no rules as to how you may learn. Customize it for your own learning needs as this is a just-in-time learning opportunity.

I (Yin) have written some materials that are designed to be a systematic process of facilitating learning about online teaching and learning. However, feel free to proceed to Learning Units and move from Unit 1 to 4 OR at any point that is most relevant to you. I strongly believe that learning is not necessarily linear all the time. Learning Activities can be used in various ways to suit your learning needs (E.g. talk to someone about the writing prompt instead of writing about it!).

Organization

As I was thinking about online teaching and what it must mean to first-time instructors, I asked myself this question:

When all is stripped away (all the gimmicky stuff), what is online teaching all about? And if I have never taught before or taught online, what would I want to know?

The thoughts that came to my mind and some feedback from graduate students formed the titles of the 4 Learning Units:

Unit 1: What is online teaching?

Unit 2: How do I interact and engage with my learners online?

Unit 3: How do I know my learners are learning?

Unit 4: What are some potential challenges in online teaching?

I have created 4 units as a starting resource. In each Unit, there is a section on some supporting media and resources for review. This is followed by some questions or activities (Learning Activities) to facilitate deeper learning and reflection.

Tools is a section devoted to highlighting technology resources for online communication and engagement.

Reflections is a series of blogposts written by Yin and Stan about the different dimensions of online education.