Personal Dynamic Media

Posted on 10. Oct, 2015 by in univ200wonderpeople

“What would happen in a world in which everyone had a Dynabook? If such a machine were designed in a way that any owner could mold and channel its power to his own needs, then a new kind of medium would have been created: a metamedium, whose content would be a wide range of already-existing and not-yet-invented media.” written by Alan Kay and Adele Goldberb.

After reading the article, I think that the systems in the 1970s they discussed has proved to be a great deal in business, engineering, school etc..  But what I was trying to find out that how the note books would be connected to share vast information.  In fact, the authors did not discuss the issue of networking those systems.  I found the above paragraph in the conclusion section has the key words “a new kind of medium would be created.”  I am not sure if the authors meant to mention this new medium as the world wide web.  But I think without the internet,  how powerful computer systems are, they would be very limited to their own tasks.  Home computers would just be used to editing word documents; school systems would just be used to draw pictures or accessed files installed on the systems.  When devices are connected, the internet helps us acquire new intelligences, which is an aspect of human brains.  Internet is an efficient tool that circulates, measures, organizes and processes information.

Tags: