A Weekend to Remember

I’m involved with a Christian group on campus called InterVarsity (IV). Many people mistake it as a sports team, but our Mission is to love God and make Him known (on campus & wherever we go).  Last weekend many of us packed up and went to Hampton, Virginia (along with other schools in the area). The event held there was called, Eastern Virginia Conference (EVA), where we listened to the speaker, Ram Sridharan (pronounced Rom). Ram has a diverse background after living in many countries and growing up in a Muslim home. At EVA, Ram spoke in depth over Joshua 1-3 and having courage in the “in-between” places in our life. An “in-between” place differs with each person, whether you feel stuck in a relationship, having family troubles, or even adjusting to college life. For Ram, his “in-between” place was respecting his families religion, but also following his own.  In my case, it’s public speaking, I lack confidence in myself and dread any assignment that involves me speaking in front of a class. However over the weekend, I was reminded how it’s God courage, which gives us that courage to conquer our fears. Of course it’s easier said than done, but it’s a great, calming reminder for me.

At the conference we sang many worship songs, but one particular song we sang was called “Somlandela”. This song originated in South Africa that was originally sung in Zulu. I loved what Ram said about this, he explained the importance of worshipping together in other languages, how it embraces the cultures around us and brings us together with praises.

Another topic Ram went over was relationships. With friends, family, or a significant other relationships are mostly two-sided to work where both sides have to work together. Where unlike these, having a relationship with Jesus is one-sided. As Christians, we believe that Jesus died for all the wrongdoing in the world and if we believe in Him, we are forgiven; because He died He carries both sides of the relationship for forgiving us.

It was a wonderful weekend filled with great experiences, memories to remember, and reminders of the love of God. This InterVarsity community of Christians has impacted me greatly, where I’ve seen growth in myself. I’m truly blessed to have a loving safe place with people who have similar beliefs as mine, and worship together in fellowship.

2 Replies to “A Weekend to Remember”

1. The idea of the “In- between” is a very important lesson that needs to be taught more. Putting a name on this is very important I’m my mind. Being able to respect a persons beliefs is a skill that many people I have seen struggle with. When someone believes like religion, which just about everyone has a different view and perspective on how they personally view religion. It is important to take those thoughts and not fight the person on them because that is viewed by them as an attack on what they believe in. People will feel like their point of view is not valid which is disrespectful to them as a person. So the idea of the “in-between” needs to be taught more and understood.

2. I am so happy for you! I am a Christian myself and I love having groups on campus where we can worship the Lord with our peers. I am also glad you had a good experience in Hampton , Virginia with InterVarsity (what a cool name)! I love hearing about fellow believers that are not ashamed of the gospel of Jesus Christ. This is what brings other people who may not believe hear about the one true and living God. Keep spreading God’s love and remember to never be ashamed of the gospel of Jesus Christ. Romans 1:16 “I am not ashamed of the gospel of Jesus Christ because it is the power of God that brings salvation to everyone who believes: first to the Jew, then to the Gentile.”