“Not My Week”

Many of us have been told that we need to fail to succeed. That something good will come out of what you’ve lost to. Even though it’s SO much easier to feel defeated. The past few weeks have been pretty challenging, trying to stay in a positive mindset when so many negative things happened around me. I kept telling myself, “alright, this isn’t my week, next one will be better”, but each week began to throw new challenges at me.  My grades were dropping & I couldn’t identify what I was doing wrong. This brought me back into bad habits from last semester, staying up late and waking up very early for my 8ams.  It led to me getting sick with a cold and feeling worn down (mentally & physically). Although it wasn’t great in the moment, I find that in this struggling time is where I learn/grow the most.

Sometimes I learn new tricks, but most of the time I remember. I remember how to motivate myself, to pick myself back up from defeat, and to identify where I fell short, so I can improve next time. Sure, these were hard to see in the moment, but now that I have more time, I can reflect on what I’ve experienced.

Success for me comes through trials I have. I’ve never been the student with straight A’s or the student that understands the concept the first time (congrats to those who do have that skill though, that’s a great skill to have!), but if you struggle like me, know that grades don’t define you. If you are putting forth an effort and reaching out to the resources provided, you will find growth in that, even if the outcome wasn’t what you were hoping for. Just don’t knock yourself down. Your worst enemy is yourself, it is SO easy to push yourself down. Use this energy, except in a positive way! Build yourself up, one day at a time, so when life really throws a curveball at you, you’ll be able to get back up stronger than last time.

Many of my blogs are for myself, these words are for me to remember, writing out the good that comes from the bad is what helps me continue forward and what motivates me. Find what motivates you & go for it, find the positive out of the negative, and don’t give up after small failures.

2 Replies to ““Not My Week””

1. It is important to remember failure is apart of success. You Are only as good as your mistakes, as long as you take those and learn from them and don’t repeat them. it is hard, especially this time a year, with spring fever to have motivation. But you need to stay driven. It is so hard to do your work and be on top and ahead of it at all times but make sure that you do everything you can to avoid to fall back into bad habits. I like to think I am a motivated person but lately for some reason I have zero motivation. It’s funny because comparing this semester to last semester and how I hard I worked in high school I was much more driven and goal oriented. My days were longer with 7 classes, sports, and clubs. I know you had 7 hour days and may have worked, played a sport, or was in a club. So we are capable of this hard work, but we just need to be reminded that when we were high school we applied to colleges. For some people this was their first choice, other it was a back up. Either way we worked hard to get here and we want to be here. Why would we give it up over being tiered. Trust me I am right there with you on wanting to be done. But we are allotted more breaks in college than we were in high school. We take less classes as well. It is hard. Also I don’t want you to think I am ridiculing you, but rather trying to help motivate you. Everyone needs motivation and there is always room for improvement. There is one video I watch when I need that extra push during a work out, or need to study for that test for one hour longer. I hope it helps you like it helps me. Good luck with the rest of the semester. https://youtu.be/R99ZQGTFGug

2. I love the positive message you are sending to your audience. It is posts like these that make me realize that I shouldn’t be so hard on myself and make myself feel bad for needing some extra help where I need it most. It shows me, and hopefully it shows others, that to help grow, you must be willing to step out of your comfort zone, even a little, so you can help yourself and start to learn how to help yourself. Once you have picked yourself up again, it is so important that you learn to let yourself be helped and learn that that does not make you weak. Not at all. Although, weakness is not a bad thing, allowing you to build yourself up shows that you have the potential to grow stronger. To let another help, academically or in any other sense, and help you better yourself, that is what makes you grow stronger as a person.