Not Afraid

As I’ve said in previous blogs I have a fear of public speaking. A fear I’ve had for a while and recently been trying to push myself outside of. I’ve also talked about a Christian group on campus called InterVarsity, where we meet up every Friday night and worship/learn more about God & His plans for us.

Earlier in the week, I asked Paul (the worship leader) if I could sing, play (guitar), and talk a little about a song that has meant a lot to me. The song “Not Afraid” by Redrocks Worship talks about the confidence we have through God’s faithfulness.  I also shared a verse in the Bible (before playing the song), John 14:27. In John 14, Jesus was speaking about the promise He gives us through the Holy Spirit. Then in verse 27, Jesus says, “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid.”. Similar to the song, it shows me how God will give me His peace, which is far greater than my own, where I don’t have to be afraid of simple fears. The more I jump out of my comfort zone the easier it becomes and the more I thank God for calming my nerves enough to share with others in that way.

One Reply to “Not Afraid”

1. Oh wow, that’s so cool. The first scripture that comes to mind for me about fear is 2 Timothy 1:7, “For God did not give us a spirit of fear but of Power, Love, and a Sound Mind.” So, just remember that when you get fearful and know that God has you and he will give you and guide you with everything you need. One thing I say you can use for to help with speaking in front of people, is treat it as if you were talking to one of your close friends, that way you will feel more comfortable and not as nervous. Just keep being awesome and rocking out in God’s power!