Da’Zha Hairston – Week 8 Blog Post

2.9             The student will tell time and write time to the nearest five minutes, using analog and digital clocks.

Game Site: https://www.splashmath.com/time-games (type in “time games” into the search bar, and pick the best fit game for your group of students, there are plenty of options to choose from)

For my assignment, I wish we would have chose an SOL for older students, so that the assignment would have been harder. Although the games on the splash math website are pretty beneficial to second grade students, it’s straight forward. First and second grade is around the time where students begin telling time, so I did not want to make the activity hard. I feel like the assignment I came up with was perfect for the grade level. If I could have done an activity for older students, we would have done something like creating our own physical copies of clocks that we could actually use. It would be a project for them to take home and be able to adjust the hands on the time. I would want the finish product to be constructed so well, that younger students would be able to use it.

We could also use the “b.socrative” website. I would have the students hook their tablet up to the website, then I would show them clocks on the board and have them type in the time they see. This would be beneficial for students to make sure they can tell time, as well as write it down! After they have all entered their responses, the website will show how many students have got it correct or incorrect.

2 Replies to “Da’Zha Hairston – Week 8 Blog Post”

1. Hey there!
    I love interactive games on the web as a tool for going over material learned in class. I am assuming that there is a profile for the student to set up where their results are recorded so you can grasp their understanding to conclude the formative assessment. If they don’t have a profile with that data then we can’t truly see where that child is unless we are watching them individually and recording the data. Perhaps having the game projected on the board with each child having numbers ranging from 1-12 or a white board where they write their number and show the answer. Allows a quick glance over the entire class to see who is getting the answers correct or incorrect.

2. How would your students playing the games allow you to assess their knowledge? Also, I dont see the game site listed as an assessment on the spreadsheet for SOL 2.9.

Let me know your thoughts on this