Intro

Hi!

My name is Phyllis Bullock Eppes.  I am a Business Teacher at Powhatan High School.  I have taken my online classes in the past and I am excited about learning to teach in an online environment.  I have taught a hybrid course here and I am a strong user of Schoology.  This is my 9th year as a teacher.

I enjoyed reading the chapter this week. I think the area that most stuck out to me was accessability. When I was in undergraduate, I remember having one or two classes online (the entire four years). I remember that at that time, you had to be approved for online classes through the dean’s office and if you qualified; you would have to pay a large fee for the limited online classes that were offered. Reading this chapter, I have found that the situation has reversed. Online is now accessible to most, if not all students. People are encouraged to pursue online learning as a means to integrate education into the lives they currently have. When I used Blackboard before, we had times to meet for the discussion board and things were handled very much like being inside a classroom, just in silence. Modern online education is extremely different.
Our school system uses Twitter and so this was not new to me. I feel that students do not take Twitter seriously enough to have it be an important part of education.

4 thoughts on “Intro”

1. Welcome to the course Phyllis!

You didn’t address these two questions in this post from the assignment:
    What were your impressions of the chapter you read this week? What most stuck in your head? What was surprising? What did you already know about? Did anything you read remind you of past eLearning experiences you have had?
    This week you have set up a blog and used twitter. Were these two technologies new to you? What has your experience with these technologies been in the past? Do you feel these technologies could facilitate learning in some way? If so, How? If not, why?

Please reply back with your thoughts on these.

1. I enjoyed reading the chapter this week. I think the area that most stuck out to me was accessability. When I was in undergraduate, I remember having one or two classes online (the entire four years). I remember that at that time, you had to be approved for online classes through the dean’s office and if you qualified; you would have to pay a large fee for the limited online classes that were offered. Reading this chapter, I have found that the situation has reversed. Online is now accessible to most, if not all students. People are encouraged to pursue online learning as a means to integrate education into the lives they currently have. When I used Blackboard before, we had times to meet for the discussion board and things were handled very much like being inside a classroom, just in silence. Modern online education is extremely different.

2. I enjoyed reading the chapter this week. I think the area that most stuck out to me was accessability. When I was in undergraduate, I remember having one or two classes online (the entire four years). I remember that at that time, you had to be approved for online classes through the dean’s office and if you qualified; you would have to pay a large fee for the limited online classes that were offered. Reading this chapter, I have found that the situation has reversed. Online is now accessible to most, if not all students. People are encouraged to pursue online learning as a means to integrate education into the lives they currently have. When I used Blackboard before, we had times to meet for the discussion board and things were handled very much like being inside a classroom, just in silence. Modern online education is extremely different.

3. Phyllis,
    Hope you are doing well and your year is off to a great start.
    I can see your point about Twitter not being taken seriously, however, I would argue that there is untapped potential for it to be used to facilitate engaging learning experiences. Hopefully, we will get to experiment with some of those opportunities as we figure this out together. 😉

Jean