A Letter To My Younger Self

Dear younger Ashlynn,

You are going to experience amazing things and accomplish even better things. The world is so much bigger than you and it surely does not revolve around you. You will learn to push yourself to your limits, so you need to inspire yourself and motivate yourself so you can accomplish everything you’ve ever dreamed of. When you get into high school, you are going to meet people who you will think will be your best friends until the end of time. Don’t get too attached to them because their friendship won’t last for long. It’s better to have a small friend group, people who prove to you that will always be there for you and will show you that they love you just the way you are. You’ll meet a boy when you are fifteen years old and a freshman in high school. He’ll be a junior and one of the most popular guys around. He will make you feel like you’re on top of the world and you’ll fall for him harder than you could think of, maybe he will fall for you too, you’ll never know. Don’t worry about what other people think of you. Do what you want to do, be who you want to be. Stop belittling yourself in the mirror every morning before school and every chance you get. Society has made beauty to be fake, botched, plastic, and anything but natural. You ARE beautiful, you ARE natural. Just because you are not the skinniest girl in school does not make you any less of a woman. I know how much you are hurting, I still feel it to this day. The mirror is not your worst enemy. Know that the people you surround yourself with love you with every ounce of their soul, even though you don’t love yourself. I know it may seem like your parents are out to get you, especially your mom with her judgy comments about your weight and always pushing you, but you will come to see that they really and truly just want the best for you. They want you to be happy, healthy, and successful. Hangout with your sister, she truly adores you and looks up to you more than you could ever imagine. Go out to lunch with your dad when he’s home because he misses one-on-one time with you more than anything when you still played softball and he would sit on the bucket for hours catching your pitches. Go shopping with your mom and hangout on the couch watching movies with her as much as you can. They will have a really hard time when you leave for college. Your sister, especially, will take a turn for the worse. Life is full of twists and turn. You should never be afraid to step outside of your comfort zone. Keep trying your hardest and it will take you to all the places you have dreamed about. Don’t get too wrapped up in boys, the right one will come unexpectedly. Don’t be afraid to fail; failure will only lead you to success. Listen to your heart and always fight for what you believe in. Take your time growing up, you only live once, so live your life to the fullest.

4 Replies to “A Letter To My Younger Self”

1. I think this is a very positive message. I love the idea behind this post and it is very uplifting. I wish we could actually go back and change some of the things we did and the choices that we made. Making the statements about not getting wrapped up in boys is something I think that a lot of people need to hear because it just shouldn’t be their main focus. I love how you were honest about the things you wanted to change and that you should do different. I also really liked the part about your younger sister because I also have a little sister. I don’t live on campus, so I could try and spend more time with my sister. Great job on this post girl 🙂

2. I really love this post, I have wrote many handwritten notes like these pointing out my failures reminding myself that I will always pick myself back up.
    I’m a commuter and I can relate to many family relations, I have two younger brothers that I need to invest more time into; whether that be taking them out to get coffee or even just taking them to school in the morning.
    I challenge you to also consider writing a letter to future you to keep your dreams and successes in mind. I’ve written one to open after this semester is over.

3. I really loved this post. It was real and so easy to connect too. I wish I read this back when I was a freshman coming into high school. I was really able to relate and connect to the things you said because I feel like it’s one of those things where all teenagers go through. Society has made us to think one thing and never to be original. We constantly pick at ourselves, trying to find all our flaws and imperfections. Instead of loving ourselves and finding the beauty in us. Your comments about your family was really touching, as we really never know when it could be their last day. As we are in college, we are starting to put things in front of family when it should have never even been a thought. I really appreciated this post and I loved reading it!

4. This was a really good message for all kids who will be going into society, because they won’t get what they suspect from society. I love how positive it really is, we need more people to realize that being negative isn’t going to help in any way. After reading this message I really wanted to go back and fix all the things that has happened in high school, but I learned from it in the end. This will be helpful to give to your younger sibling who will also go through this in society, and we want to make sure they know what they are doing and not do the same mistakes as we did when we were their age. I have to say this was a really good post and I like it very much.