My Long-Distance Relationship

My boyfriend, who I have been dating for about a year, and I have had a long-distance relationship for the duration of being together. I first met him in 2010, I was ten years old and he was nine years old. He was my next-door neighbor for six years before he moved to Stafford, Virginia, which is 3 ½ hours from Virginia Beach, where I live. Throughout those six years of him being my neighbor, he was also my best friend. We hung out every day and both of our families were best friends as well. We went on vacations together every summer, hung out all the time, had cookouts and Christmas and Thanksgiving together. He had always had a crush on me, but I continued to blow him off while I had other relationships throughout this time. This time last year, I had just gotten out of a relationship and prom was around the corner. The school that he was attending when he moved had a junior/senior prom and my high school had just a senior prom. Him and his family were staying at my house for the weekend and he decided to ask me to be his date at his prom, of course I said yes. I later asked him to go to my prom with me. While we were at his prom, we were dancing together, and it was the most fun I’d had in a long time.  Since then, we’ve been inseparable. He went to prom with me at my school and he went to my graduation as well and stayed with me for a week after graduation during the summer and asked me to be his girlfriend at the beach (my favorite place). He was nervous about me coming to college while he was a senior in high school, but I assured him that there was nothing to worry about and everything was fine. During my first year of college and the first year of our relationship, I have learned about the importance of communication. Not being able to see someone as much as you want is such a burden, but we make it work. Communication is key, if you don’t have communication and trust, you have nothing. He comes to visit me as often as possible and I stay the weekend at his house as often as possible, but it is sometimes many weeks without seeing each other since he is a full-time student and lacrosse athlete. Having him as support as well as my best friend is something that not everyone can find, and I am so grateful for it. I can definitely say that it’s hard and it’s not ideal, but it’ll be worth it in the end.

6 Replies to “My Long-Distance Relationship”

1. Thank you for sharing, I personally haven’t been in a long distance relationship, but I do know how hard it is being far from someone you care about. I was born in Illinois then moved to Virginia when I was 6. Nearly all of my extended family lives in Illinois and it’s very difficult staying close with them. Without staying in communication with them it’s difficult finding subjects to talk about, sometimes making family reunions kind of awkward.

2. A relationship of communication, makes this story ten times more special. Because of how you and your best friend had known each other since 2010, even though the moving phase of six years was also a part of it as well. But just unpacking a friendship six years later, makes it truly special in reviving moments that you guys had shared six years ago during your youth ages. While transitioning into the graduation phase, in where you both started a fresh new relationship with each other. Makes it a lifetime of a journey, in which you both will never forget these moments but instead cherish this relationship. May you two have a wonderful relationship going forward, with many more milestones to come.

3. I can understand how being in a long distance relationship could be hard. I know doing that would be hard and not being able to see the only person you want when you want could be uncomfortable. But with time it helps and seeing them when you can will make it a lot better. I personally never have done a long distance relationship but I hope it works out.

4. I was in a long distance relationship for a year and a half but we were in different states. So I can for sure relate to your situation but I am glad you guys are working things out. It is a good sign that you are trying to see him and he wants to see you. my relationship ended right before my birthday and then next up was the first day of college so yeah I am rooting for you guys.

5. I had a long distance relationship before. He was my first love and we were dating for about two years. We use to be a classmate, but since we went to the United States we went to a different school. However, we finally broke up because he thinks we not gonna end up being at the same place. So I think for a couple to get along together the most important thing is two people can have the same growing speed. If one is growing faster, and the other one is still staying at the same place. They will be separate ultimately.

6. I love hearing these kinds of stories about people finding someone they really care about and they are able to stay in a relationship. What is even more inspiring is that you and your boyfriend are doing it long distance. From my experience, I came into college having a boyfriend but he was in Tennessee for college and I was here. Our communication skills were really lacking and that is when I realized things weren’t going to last. I totally agree that communication is a huge part of any relationship and hearing your story really emphasized this.