Texting My Dream/ The Interpretation of Dreams

I searched Google Robots on Google search engine, and found a site that would support my research paper on the benefits of using robots in U.S. military.  First, since I had no knowledge what so ever on Google’s investment on robots, I had to look at what kinds of robots Google were investing on.  The article, Google’s Robot Army in Action by Kit Buchan helped me to see what kinds of robots Google company was buying and how they were implementing robots into military.  The article (screenshot) below shows different kinds of robots and their purpose.  If you want to see the actual movement of robots and their functions, click the link below:

Google’s Robot Army In Action

For example, Schaft created a robot that will go up and down a ladder and climb any given obstacles, which will help U.S. military to move objects or materials that will be a hinderance in their path.  Also, Meka, which is a robot made to portray a human torso with a head and arms, will be useful in replacing soldiers in battle, when there is a heavy duty work that will be too dangerous for one soldier to accomplish.  Meka robot seems to be the one that is actually close to being looking like a human.

Screen Shot 2014-06-22 at 9.49.23 PM

Screen Shot 2014-06-22 at 9.49.53 PM

Screen Shot 2014-06-22 at 9.50.07 PM

Screen Shot 2014-06-22 at 9.50.21 PM

I had an article about where the robots were produced and who were the main inventors of robots to find out the exact intent of the robot’s use.  This article provided me with the benefits of robots in military technology, because many of these robots were made to handle heavy duty lifting, or packaging boxes.  However, I  wanted to know what was the cause of robotic technology in military and the affects of robots in military.  I wanted to check to see if robots did destroy humanity.  This curiosity lead to one blog that pointed out a death that occurred due to robotic incident.  Josh asks one question, “Will robots eventually destroy humanity?” And, he answers, “Probably”.

Will Robots Eventually Destroy Humanity?  Probably. by Josh from Stuff You Should Know: THE BLOG

In Josh’s blog, he states an incident in 1981, when a Japanese engineer Kenji Urada died from the hands of a robot.

“We have customarily given a pass to robots that have caused the death and dismemberment of humans.  They’re dumb, remember, so how can they be held accountable?  There have been a number of robot-related deaths over the years; back in 1981, Japanese engineer Kenji Urada became the first person whose death at the hands of a robot was recorded in detail.  Urada failed to turn off a robot he was maintaining and it pushed him into a grinding machine, where he was ostensibly ground to death.  Robots 1, humans 0. “

Also, Josh links other deaths that were related to robotics.  I can use this opinion to support a thesis that robots will eventually destroy humans, but since this is an opinion, I had to research other side to military advancement in robotics.

**Another (2) article to keep for future reference: 10 Robots That Will Probably Kill Us in the Coming Decade**  (Also, in support of anti-robotics)  AND Robots Will Win Our Hearts Before They Destroy Us All**

I found an article that was in support for robotic technology advancement: This is Probably a Good Time to Say That I Don’t Believe Robots Will Eat All the Jobs …  by Marc Andreessen.

In the article above, Marc supports robotics technology advancement and covers the benefits of technology integrating with education.  He states that robotics involvement will improve educational quality and skills development.  Also, he doesn’t believe that robots will replace our current jobs, instead due to robotics creation, there will be more unknown jobs available in the future that won’t be replaced by robots.

Through out my research, I realized that I was only looking into robots in military technology.  In this research, I want to see how robots can affect humanity in military, medicine, and education.  After a long, careful thought, finding the benefits of robots in each different category would be more useful and precise than only looking at the impact that robots made in military technology.  In the future, I want to research and see the both benefits and disadvantages of robotics technology in military, medicine, and education.  I hope to find the cause of robotics advancement and how the robots will affect us, as society, in the future and the affects robotics advancement will have on each categories listed above (whether the robots were put to good use or whether the robots were used to create more problems for us to solve).

INTERPRETATION OF DREAMS:

“We have customarily given a pass to robots that have caused the death and dismemberment of humans.  They’re dumb, remember, so how can they be held accountable?  There have been a number of robot-related deaths over the years; back in 1981, Japanese engineer Kenji Urada became the first person whose death at the hands of a robot was recorded in detail.  Urada failed to turn off a robot he was maintaining and it pushed him into a grinding machine, where he was ostensibly ground to death.  Robots 1, humans 0. ”  -by Josh from Stuff You Should Know: THE BLOG-

The quote above really intrigued me, because I have not heard of an incident where someone died due to robotics incident.  This information was fascinating, not because a robot killed a human being, but it’s interesting in a fact that this quote can actually support my theory that robots will eventually kill humanity.  I can use this information as a factual, subjective evidence that can support the disadvantages of robotics involvement in military, medicine, and education.  Urada have been killed by the hands of the robot that he built to control, not to be controlled by the robot.  As my further research provided, this was the beginning of robotics disaster.  If you look at the article below, the article provides multiple homicide incidents related to robotics (i don’t know if you can actually say that it’s a homicide, since it’s a robot killing a human being…):

Trust Me, I’m a Robot by The Economist

Screen Shot 2014-06-22 at 10.52.50 PM

I definitely know that I want to study robotics advancement in military, medicine, and education.  Main questions I am looking to answer are:

1. How will robotics change and impact education?  Which will lead to next question…

2. Will robotics technology help advance students to provide benefits to medicine advancement or will it back fire and have robots be used in military?

3.  Lastly, will robotics in military destroy humanity?

I want to look at the root/ cause of robot technology advancement, and cover what impacts robots will have on our society now and in the future, at the same time, look at the benefits and disadvantages of robotics in our society as a whole.

2 thoughts on “Texting My Dream/ The Interpretation of Dreams”

1. This is excellent, Helen. You do well digging with examples and fleshing out your interests here in a meaningful way. When thinking about robotics here, it would seem to help to think about the three main areas of use you consider (military, medicine, and education) and think about which you find most interesting and try to explore more within the specific selection. There is much you can do with all three, so getting more precise will help ultimately refine your investigation and make your inquiry project more succinct and significant.