Nugget Curation: Part Deux

TAGS: #technology, #computer, #robots, #internet, #google, #productivity, #automation, #production, #intelligence,  #military

+ ADD TAGS #soldier, #war, #impactofwar, #death

As soon as I have redefined my research topic to focus more into soldiers and the functions of soldiers in a war, in the past and present, I had to add more tags to mold my research.

1.  “New Estimate Raises Civil War Death Toll.”-by Guy Gugliotta

Even though this is a New York Times article, Gugliotta was thorough in explaining the war casualty rates back in the Civil War era.  (I probably won’t use this article to support my argumentative claim, but this will be useful in using it as an evidence for my sub-claim.)  Since I want to compare the soldiers action from the time of American Revolution war to most recent war in Iraq, I wanted to figure out each wars’ combat deaths.  From there, I can compare the number of deaths caused by military advancement versus the death caused before technology advancement.  This article was useful in helping me guide through the Civil War era, and the actual numbers of deaths and losses.  TAGS: #soldiers, #war, #impactofwar, #death

2.  Boritt, Gabor, and David Eisenhower. War Comes Again Comparative Vistas on the Civil War and World War II.. New York: Oxford University Press, 1995. Print.

Three authors wrote a book on the comparison on the Civil War versus World War II, which contained informations like military intelligence and military operations.  This book will guide me to find the comparison of different wars that United States were involved in.  (I am only going to research the major wars U.S. were involved in, mainly: American Revolution, U.S. Civil War, World War I, World War II, Korean War, Vietnam War, Invasion of Afghanistan, and Invasion of Iraq.)  From here, I can relate to what it was like back in the day, and how the military tactics/ operations were before the era of technology growth versus guns and knifes (before military weapon growth). Reference: pg. 52 – 53 for military intelligence. TAGS: #technology, #computer, #robots, #internet, #productivity, #automation, #production, #intelligence, #military,  #soldier, #war, #impactofwar, #death

3.  Howard, Blair. Battlefields of the Civil War : A Guide for Travelers. Edison, NJ, USA: Hunter Publishing, Incorporated, 1995. ProQuest ebrary. Web. 24 July 2014.

Chapter 2: The Civil War Solider & His Equipment

This book chapter was a chance for me to get a better idea of what it was like back in Civil War, as what it was like to be a solider back in the day.  I cannot compare the life of the soldiers in different time frames of war if I don’t know what it was like to be one.  So, this is where I started to research deep into the lives of the soldiers.  From here, I want to prove that back then, due to less technology advancement, soldiers had lower survival rate than today.  However, the death rate would be much higher in present wars (WWII, Afghanistan War & Iraq War).  With better destructive weapons, and faster technology development rate, the more fierce the war becomes, and more casualties within wars.  TAGS: #technology, #computer, #robots, #internet, #google, #productivity, #automation, #production, #intelligence,  #military, #soldier, #war, #impactofwar, #death

4.  Douglas, Allen. War, Memory, and the Politics of Humor the Canard Enchan and World War I.. Berkeley: University of California Press, 2002. Print.

CH. 9 Between Cannibalism and Resurrection

The Body of the Unknown Soldier

Douglas, Allen. War, Memory, and the Politics of Humor : The Canard Enchaine and World War I. Berkeley, CA, USA: University of California Press, 2002. ProQuest ebrary. Web. 24 July 2014.
Copyright © 2002. University of California Press. All rights reserved.

Allen Douglas, in Ch. 9 of his book, “War, Memory, and the Politics of Humor the Canard Enchan and World War I”, had a funny way of describing of soldier’s death in wars.  He compared killings at war as cannibalism.  The cannibalism itself describes a gruesome and inhuman activities that goes against our society’s morals.  In a way, the author separated soldiers into two categories: those who gained the title of heroism, or those that were “unknown”.  I can use this to support my arguments on the topic of soldier heroism: the definition of a hero returning back to U.S. after serving his duties versus the unwelcome state  of finding the “unknown” soldiers with no appreciation for their service.  (Need to clear out my argumentative supporting claims.  Not sure how I want to incorporate the topic of heroism into my argument…)  TAGS: #intelligence,  #military, #soldier, #war, #impactofwar, #death

5.  Riggs, J. E.. “What do you mean, save a soldier from war?: Life’s big small decisions.” Neurology 81: e161-e162. Neurology. Web. 24 July 2014.

Captain Jack E. Riggs writes about his life as a doctor in Navy Reserve during the time of Operation Iraqi Freedom.  He goes through step by step of an incident that occurred to his patient.  What’s interesting about his story is that his patient (U.S. Military officer-19 years old) had intentionally shot himself in his leg, so that he could be sent home.  To cut the story short, the patient was prosecuted and was sent back to his unit for further evaluation of his service.  It’s just like how technology will change human soldiers into robots.  The military men are commanded by the upper division of leadership, and the soldiers have no option but to obey the commands set forth by the leaders.  In a way, the soldiers are turning into stiff robots, unable to express their empathy and emotions.  TAGS: #technology, #computer, #robots,  #military, #soldier, #war, #impactofwar, #death