A “Nugget” Post from the Engelbart excerpts!

“Man’s population and gross product are increasing at a considerable rate, but the complexity of his problems grows still faster, and the urgency with which solutions must be found becomes steadily greater in response to the increased rate of activity and the increasingly global nature of that activity. Augmenting man’s intellect, in the sense defined above, would warrant full pursuit by an enlightened society if there could be shown a reasonable approach and some plausible benefits.”

-Engelbart

This nugget is from Engelbart’s introduction of “Augmenting Human Intellect: A Conceptual Framework”.  I chose this nugget because it is probably the only section I could break down and make sense of.  As my group talked about in class, he’s basically saying that as our population grows we develop more problems that need expedited solutions and this can only be done by having a society that has an abundance of knowledge.

Another reason I chose this excerpt is because I would have to agree with this point. As each and every day goes by, we are faced with more problems, problems that are more difficult than the last. The more problems we have the sooner we have to get them solved because otherwise chaos would arise.  In order to solve our issues we would need to have a group of people that are capable of thinking intellectually and logically.. in other words smart people.