Scholarly Nugget Post

The scholarly article I chose to use is “Relationships between self-esteem, media influence and drive for thinness”, which explains how social media can affects how someone feels about their body.

The following passage is what caught my attention the most and is the basics of what I want to write about for my project: “The media is a powerful societal tool for expressing expectations about how men and women should look. As a result, over the past several years, women have shown an increase in body dissatisfaction (Cash, Morrow, Hrabosky, & Perry, 2004). The present study examined the relationships between drive for thinness, self-esteem, and media influence among men and women.”

This passage really resonates with what I want to explore. My research questions can use a few tweaks here and there but I am basically asking how does social media affect the way we view our bodies and where that leads. I also mention that I think body shaming in some cases can lead to eating disorders, body modifications gone wrong, and even suicide.

2 thoughts on “Scholarly Nugget Post”

1. Interesting topic. I think its an important issue to note, about social media so that we can be on alert and guard our minds from being subject to the negativity.

2. It’s crazy to think social media, with all its communication benefits cannot even communicate to the user properly resulting in all these perception issues.