Feedback

My structure is on my blog, I’m the navigation menu, for to “module” for the loose structure. I am building a new site for it though and be found at: https://rampages.us/diversitymodule/

My project  is all about operationalizimg the framework of equity-related concepts. The module is going to be split into 4-2.5 hour sections, accounting for the 10 hours necessary for the course.

I want the sections to consist of: reading(s), an audio-visual component, discussion via social media, and an interactive activity. The different sections are: Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Justice. Each week will focus on   one of the sections.

At this point in the process I have the structure and the “curriculum” but have to fill it with credible content. I have been researching similar trainings and reviewing their structures to imitate in a way that will work for my course.

What I need to know:

-What concepts would be helpful to note in this module given the topics

-How would this topic best be explained in your opinion?

-If you were taking this course, what mode of discussion would you like to engage in? (E.g. rampages blog, social media, etc)

-Sources of credible content

-does this format make sense?

higgsal

3 thoughts on “Feedback

1. Austin,
    1. This is a very timely subject matter, and important. I really liked the diversity link, and the first lesson. I would also put the link words themselves in under the “schedule of topics”.
    2. I think the home page shouldn’t not be the blog page, but generally ease the learner into you learning module. Maybe have an assignment/blog page where you post new things as the weeks go by.
    3. The videos were on point, and you might want to embeds them into the actual website just for easier focus. In addition, you could use a google form for the question part as some people may not have Microsoft word, and you could ensure and see the responses, but maybe you don’t want to see there responses, if not you can loop it back so only the person answering the questions can see the responses.
    Keep up the good work, and I am excited to see the final project.

2. Austin,

This is a great start. Here are my thoughts, and remember, some of the design stuff id opinion, you may have reasons for designing in a certain way that I dont know about, just let me know in your reply:

1. The Home page is a little confusing. I’m not sure I would use posts to convey information here. It just adds a level of complexity you may not need. I would turn your home page into a static page, and then just type in a description of your course and how to start, which is what you do in the first post (except you write “visit the assignments page” which doesnt exists. You probably want to do away with the meta-information on the page as well (Recent posts, recent comments, archives, etc) on this page. I don think it adds anything except “noise”. I like the menu structure and how each tab (well most) is a lesson. It puts the content right up front and keeps it there. I think this works better than like “lesson 1” , “lesson2”, etc. I’m actually not crazy about the theme you are using as you have to scroll down to see any text. Remember you want to make navigation as simple as possible with the fewest amount of mouse clicks and key strokes.
    2. Schedule of topics page: You start this page by writing that “each monday you will visit a page….” OK, so your assignments are weekly. I would indicate this on the home page, when you describe the course. Weeks 2 – 5 all represent your content, which i like, but week 1 just says home page, which i dont understand. I think what you mean is to go back to the homepage, and then read the second post, which describes assignments for week 1. This navigation seems too complex. I would create a new tab, and just call it like “Course Introduction” or something, and make it its own page, just like every other week.
    3. Week 1 assignments: These are good, and lets learners take a week just getting to know the platform, and setting up any accounts they will need. You may want to provide tutorials on how to do all of this. Your learners will probably have no idea what rampages is, or how to set up an account on there. You may also want to give some context about why they are setting up these accounts, how they will be used in you rmodule and if there is any benefit outside of your module. Adult learners in particular, want to know the relevance. You will also want to provide some instruction on how to create “text, audio, visual or a combination”. Your learners may want to do video, but have no idea how to do it.
    4. Week 2: You use text and video clips to expose learners to various aspects and definitions of diversity. I think this is good. You may want to give additional context on these resources, such as “Watch X video, and consider…..”, or “Read X link, and think about….”. You then have learners fills out a questionnaire (which I found really interesting), then they respond to the experience on their choice of platform. Do the learners share the questionnaire answers with you? I think this activity is great, but I feel like you may want to provide additional information on the reflection piece (or maybe not), and provide them with maybe additional prompts to consider, or additional questions to answer, some learners may not have a lot of experience in reflective thinking, so they may need help. Also, not sure if twitter is a good vehicle for this. I would think their reflections will be longer than what twitter allows. What are your thoughts on this feedback?
    5. BTW, in your reply back to me, tell me your learning objectives again.
    6. Inclusion – In this activity, learners are just watching a video. Is this lesson not finished, or is this the only activity?
    7. Equity: In this lesson, you ask learners to read and watch videos again, then write a blog post. I am not crazy about “What are your thoughts” as a prompt. Seems vague. I like you other prompts in this lesson. There is one typo (“Would?”) You also have them use categories and tags for this post. If you are going to do that, you will have to explain how this is done, and why it is done.
    8. Justice: In this lesson, you ask learners to read text, and then blog. There are some typos in your prompts, but these prompts are good. Again, you may want to contextualize the readings, and either briefly describe them, or tell learners what to look for in them, or what to consider when they are reading them or something. The assignments should be less a list of things to do, and read more like a story.
    9. Resources: Nothing listed here, and this tab I dont believe is mentioned anywhere. What is this for? How will it be used?
    10. To address your questions:

What concepts would be helpful to note in this module given the topics?

I can’t help you here i dont think. This is not my area of expertise. You know much more about this than I do.

How would this topic best be explained in your opinion?

Same as above, this is a question better answered by you than me. I like the text and videos. I think role-playing might work, and maybe more interactive activities as that can bring learners together to learn from one another which is an element of diversity, so may you try to model some of the benefits of a diverse group (or lack of). You know what I mean?

If you were taking this course, what mode of discussion would you like to engage in? (E.g. rampages blog, social media, etc)

This is a hard question, because your content area is tricky in my opinion in how people like to discuss things that might make them uncomfortable. I would consider deeply my learning objectives, and think about how these objectives are best met. For me personally, I like digital asynch communications, but for your topics, i might be more comfortable with synchronous video. Wow, I dont know. I see benefits and constraints in both. Let me know if you ever want to discuss f2f or on the phone. This is a really great question. Synchronous modes allow you to see others peoples faces and express yourself easier, but also make you respond in the moment with less thought. Asynch gives you time to think, but learners may not express themselves as well through digital text, audio or video, and whatever they write is out on the internet forever. So yeah, this is tricky. Again, I would go back to your learning objectives and have those inform these decisions.

Sources of credible content

Not sure what you are asking here. If you are asking for recommendations on resources for your topics. I am not sure. I like the ones you have chosen so far. But your content is interesting as it may not best be served by peer-reviewed academic journals.

does this format make sense?

In general, yes, but see my earlier comments.

Great Job so far!

1. Hey Professor Jones,

I apologize for not replying earlier, I have been trying to make sense of how to adress your pointers. I am very new to this level of technology and am trying to figure out work arounds for the items you asked me to consider. I definitely agree with all of your points and have tried some ideas out that I think might work and they failed miserable because I quickly realized some of the things I wanted to do were outside of my knowledge area, so I wanted to try and simplify it rather than overthink the whole process.

The questionnaire was more of a self-reflection exercise, these can become very personal and I wasn’t sure if posting the responses to these would be triggering for people so that’s why I did it that way.

I understand adding context to the assignments and will do that.

The inclusion page was unfinished because I was looking for more electronic resources that might help with the learning in this area.

All in all, I will admit that that I am having a hard time translating my D&I work into an electronic version. This has been a very clumsy process for me. I honestly do not want to make an excuse, I just realized through this course how much work I have to do in translating what usually comes so organically to me into this platform. I feel as if I have not done very well in this course or in getting things to convey as they do in person, and that’s been the hardest thing about this for me. Even in replying to these comments I realized how nervous the idea made me in writing these long paragraphs to explain my thought process when I’m used to a more oral means of communication. I know this sounds as if I am making excuses perhaps, and I do not expect to be excused, more so just want to explain why I have gone about this course the way that I have. The mixture of unfamiliar technology and learning about communicating so differently has made me doubt myself greatly. I think you have been a fantastic professor and very helpful, I need to do some internal work to adress these issues. I have never encountered these growth ares in my learning and its both enlightening and paralyzing for some strange reason.

I will be addressing the feedback you’ve so generously provided and meet the expectations of this class to the best of my ability.

Looking at what I have now I think that my learning objectives are as follows:

1. Engage learning in the concepts of diversity, equity, inclusion and social justice for adult learners
      2. Provide resources for D&I facilitators to use in their on trainings to others
      3. Avail activities that provide an equity lens to the learners work and personal life
      4. Prime learners to engage in social justice and inclusion efforts