Creative Syllabus

After reviewing the remakes given to us, I really liked the more engaging looked of a creative syllabus!  When I first started to remake my syllabus, I added the course goal question to the top:

quote

I also changed the grading section to a pie chart for a better visual.  I love this pie chart but could not import it into the new syllabus for some reason.  I started to like how it was looking, but they were just pictures pasted into a Word document.  Check out where I was here: Syllabus Math 141_OLE

I searched more and found the Piktochart website and lost the next 5 hours of my life 🙂  Check out a possible new Math 141 Syllabus.  (The last section was not edited.)

I decided to make changes because my current syllabus seems too wordy, and my initial contact, my first impression to students should be more engaging and dynamic.  The new format required me to cut down on words and determine what is really important for students to know on day 1 of my class.   I feel a few more things should be included (on academic dishonesty, expectations), but I am not sure yet how to include them.

Any and all suggestions/comments/critiques are welcome!  I know there is still much work to do if I want to use this format, but it was a fun, yet time-consuming start!

6 thoughts on “Creative Syllabus

1. Hillary,
    Great hacking of your syllabus! I liked all the visuals that you have used in the new version, but I’m interested in knowing what the others might think about it. Could it be too distracting i.e. as a syllabus?

1. I thought about that too, and I don’t know the answer. Personally I would be more interested to read the different sections than my traditional syllabus, but perhaps that is because this way is new and different.

2. Love it, Hillary. I’ve written about hacking the syllabus, too, and the post includes links to some other examples: http://www.jonbecker.net/hacking-the-syllabus/

I particularly like how yours has a mathematical aesthetic to it. It “feels” like a syllabus for a math course. And, that’s where I think the idea of creative syllabi can really thrive. That is, how can we help students understand that this course is not just one more course that looks/feels like all of the others? And, how can the syllabus give the students a sense of what taking the course will *feel* like?

1. I did view several of the examples in your blog before starting, and I liked the magazine look but couldn’t find a way to do that with a friendly template. I will definitely think about the other aspects you discussed as I consider taking this syllabus further. Thank you for saying it feels mathy 🙂 This course really is different than other math classes, so maybe this change is the way to go so students realize that at the start!

3. I really like your syllabus. I like starting with your learning objectives as questions, and how each section has it’s own style to set them apart from each other. Think I’ll give this a try myself!