So long, and goodnight!

Well, I was definitely reminded today that I still have SO MUCH to learn!  I made a short video with the highlights of my time in OLE, but it was too large to post here.  I am unsure what the best option is, so I uploaded it, and you can see my reflections here.

Yes, that about sums it all up.  My eyes were opened up to many possibilities for my class–video conferencing, changing the syllabus, creative assessments, engaging discussions, better searches for material, creating better material, and just generally thinking outside the box previously created for my class.  I learned a tremendous amount, but I am obviously  still very green.  This is exciting to me though, not discouraging, because I can’t wait to see what else is out there now that I know the basics.

Just given the short reflections we did last week on our current assessments, I am certain that my first online course will not be perfect and will need revising.  But as I was reminded by both Tom and David, we should continually reevaluate how/what we teach to continue improving our courses and changing with the times and student needs.  I am eager to do this for my ground classes as well.

I said it in my video, and I will say it again: take the time to explore the options! You may be surprised by something (Twitter) and you will definitely find great things that work.  The sky is the limit now!  Again, thank you to everyone that took time to give me feedback and encouragement.   Any advice and/or suggestions are always welcome!  Thank you for a stimulating, educational, and enjoyable class!

thank-you

2 thoughts on “So long, and goodnight!

1. I really appreciate your sharing some thoughts re: OLE. It’s always great to hear that some of this material resonates and will be useful in your future teaching. You’ve been a terrific “student” with a great attitude and persistence. I’m sure you’re a great role model for your students.

I leave with one quick video tip: you can always embed a YouTube video directly into a post by simply putting the URL on a separate line; no need to link out.

Thanks again.

1. Okay, I got it now! I just tried that and embedded the video directly (then deleted since it was just a test). I went to a Kaltura seminar yesterday, and I am excited about the possibility of using that too! I already created a video announcement directly in Blackboard. There is an issue with my Surface 3 though, and the camera won’t forward-face with Kaltura. They are working on it 🙁