Data Workshop – Medicine on Television – James Hyman

I chose to watch an episode of House, M.D. called “Instant Karma” from season 6, episode 4. This episode deals with a younger male patient who is being seen for a presumed case of C. diff or Clostridium difficile. This is an infection that is usually a hospital acquired infection. It is very preventable. Patients receiving antibiotic therapy are primary targets for acquiring C. diff. According to the CDC, in 2011, almost half a million infections in the United States were caused by C. diff and 29,000 died within 30 days of the initial diagnosis. This is a pretty common condition, but there are many ways it can be prevented and many ways hospitals are working to prevent patients from getting this as often. It is treatable. The causes of this condition happen when microorganisms grow out of control and make you sick. This type of bacteria overgrows and releases toxins that attack the lining of the intestines causing this condition. The symptoms of this include watery diarrhea, fever, loss of appetite, nausea, and belly pain and tenderness. It does not really affect different groups in different ways because anyone can become susceptible to getting it and it will have the same symptoms and treatment no matter if it is a male or female. Those that are most likely to get this infection according to the CDC include the elderly and those with certain medical problems. It also usually occurs in patients who are taking antibiotics. This is very contagious and can spread very easily. When being treated in the hospital, the patient will be on contact precautions where anyone who enters the room will have to put on a disposable gown and gloves and remove them before walking back out of the patients room. This is to help prevent the spread to the people in the room and to others in the hospital. Usually the doctor, nurse and the laboratory are involved in making the diagnosis of C. diff. There will be tests performed on the patient by either the nurse or doctor and sent to the lab for the results where they will then get the results back to the doctor and the doctor can initiate the appropriate treatment for the nurse to start. The treatments are available and usually include rounds of antibiotics for a certain amount of time until the infection is cleared. The treatments are not rare or dangerous, but will of course have the side effects that go along with the medication that the doctor decides to prescribe. The price of the medication will depend on which medication is chosen and the type of insurance and coverage the patient has. To undergo these treatments, the patient does not need to be rich, or lucky, but it is probably going to cover a tremendous amount of the cost if the patient is well-insured. Insurance is a very important thing to have in today’s world. House did not treat this condition because they suspected the patient had this when he came in, but ended up not having this after tests were performed. This television show is sometimes accurate in treatment of illness in relation to the experience of an American patient with the same illness, but not always. Same with any other medical show, it is not exactly what is done in the hospital and is not always accurate. These types of shows can influence America’s understanding of the health-care system in an inaccurate way and can also give them certain opinions about different conditions, procedures and treatments based on watching these television shows that could be good or bad. What is shown on these shows is not always right and it is important for people to understand that. The discrepancies could be potentially harmful to audiences’, patients’, or even physicians’ perceptions because they may think that is the right way to carry out certain tasks, procedures and treatments and not agree with what a real doctor has to tell them which could affect their outcome of whatever the problem is they are being seen for.

http://www.cdc.gov/HAI/organisms/cdiff/Cdiff_infect.html

http://www.cdc.gov/HAI/pdfs/cdiff/Cdiff_tagged.pdf

Data Workshop – Hangouts – James Hyman

A hangout as defined by the textbook is an informal public place where people come together regularly for conversation and camaraderie. Our book also refers to hangouts as the third place. This is defined as places you go to after home and work, which come first and second. I think we probably all have a lot of different third places we each go to that are hangouts or that we don’t even realize are hangouts.

I chose to observe the hangout Green Top which is where I work. This place is a good hangout for the people there because it involves socialization and buying things for hunting, fishing, clothing, guns, and many more products. We offer thousands of products with a lot of items from multiple brands. There are definitely regular customers and new customers on a weekly basis. We see a lot of people come through the doors of that store over a week’s period. I know the regulars because they are in the store almost weekly or multiple times per week and I can recognize who is not a regular especially if they are looking for certain things and are not sure where different products are located or look confused. People establish themselves as regulars by buying many products from our store, hanging out around the store for a long time and by carrying conversations with many of the employees or their friends/people they know every time they are in the store. The types of interactions that take place at this hangout include interacting with the employees about purchasing products or asking questions, and hanging out with their friends and shopping around the store. To some of the people I interviewed about hangouts, they believe that a hangout is a local spot where they can come together with some of their friends to socialize and to shop for products they all love and want to buy together. This hangout doesn’t necessarily have a function in their everyday life, but a lot of times, if they need something, they will come here to the store to find it since we carry a lot of different products and brands. Being a regular is a part of their identity because they identify with being a loyal customer of the store and will always come back for more week after week, especially as we get new products in this time of year and have our big annual sales. Most of our regulars are also good friends with some of the employees or management of the store, so they identify with getting to see them and socialize with them as well. They enjoy the atmosphere of the store and the friendliness of the staff and the wide selection of items we have to offer to customers. It also brings us new customers when peoples friends hang out there and they bring their friend along with them to check out the store. By using a lot of social media and advertising, this becomes a new hangout spot weekly for many individuals.

Mrs. Doubtfire – Analyzing Mass Media & Popular Culture Data Workshop – James Hyman

The movie I chose to watch for this assignment was Mrs. Doubtfire. This was a great movie and I had never seen it before until watching it for this blog. I chose this movie because it was one of the two I recognized and my parents said it was a great and funny movie which was very true. Some background information about this movie includes a married family; the Hillard’s who have three children and then get divorced. What ends up happening is their dad Daniel becomes Mrs. Doubtfire, their nanny and it goes well for a while until the mom finds out. They end up making some compromises in the end to work it out so their father can see the children each day and continue to keep them after school.

The families troubles that are the focus of the film start when the Dad throws a birthday party for the son and their mom Miranda gets called at work by the neighbor complaining of noise and animals being all outside of their house. She comes home to the party still going on and a disaster and has had enough which starts their divorce and the end of their marriage. Their children do not react well to this change and Mr. Hillard becomes jobless and doesn’t have a place to live. When they have their first court hearing, he gets granted weekend visitation and has to find a place to live and keep a job for three months. He ends up getting a job as a shipping clerk and also becomes Mrs. Doubtfire their nanny because he wants to be the one keeping his children after school and not someone else. At their second court hearing, the mother is awarded full time custody and Daniel is allowed supervised visitation rights every Saturday. This ends up not lasting because their mother realizes that she made a mistake and was angry at him, but he really was important to their children’s’ lives, so he ends up getting to see his children every day and keeps them afterschool. He also lands a promotion at his job and airs a television show.

The solutions in addressing the families troubles are actually very effective and a good way of solving the issues. The families’ problems are more sociological because the problems are pertaining to the household and with each other, not a widespread issue. The individual troubles of family members are linked to larger social patterns and problems because the children have a hard time adapting to their parents being separated, the dad loses a place to live and has to find a new job, and everything becomes stressful for the mother because she works so much and now is having to do the job of two people all by herself. When comparing the problems in this movie with the real world, this is a real problem and is very prevalent in our society today. There are a lot of divorced and single parents and it is becoming a higher prevalence every day especially because younger people are getting married earlier and others are becoming pregnant before marriage which both increases the divorce rates. These problems are widespread through the entire world. At the public level, these issues are usually discussed through court trials and hired lawyers. I think that the families troubles and the possible solutions were depicted great in the film and is often what you can see in a real life situation too besides the fact of him role playing as two people. I believe that the media is often a negative thing and often plays a bad role in helping to reduce family troubles or associated social problems. Especially in the media these days, they want to make everything big and newsworthy and like producing the negative stories versus good things.

My Closet & Sweatshops Data Analysis – James Hyman

Exercise One: The Global Closet:

I chose to look at eight different items of clothing I have. I looked at a pair of jeans made in Mexico, a Nike t-shirt made in Honduras, a Propper brand sweat shirt made in China, a Ralph Lauren Polo shirt made in China, a pair of pajama pants made in Cambodia, a pair of Columbia shorts made in Cambodia, bathing suit bottoms from American Eagle made in Vietnam and another Propper brand shirt that I wear for work that was made in Bangladesh. The countries from the clothing items found in East Asia include China, and Cambodia, and Vietnam which are both located to the southeast of Asia. The countries found in Latin America include Honduras, and Mexico.

There was no differences in where the item was made and where it was assembled on any of the clothing products I looked at. There was also no indication on any of the labels of where the fabric originated from. A lot of the information shown on the tags are information regarding washing procedures and instructions. There were no indications of anything else besides where it was made and the size and brand of the product.

Exercise Three: Are Your Favorite Brands “Sweat Free”?

My favorite brand of clothing is Columbia. My favorite brand of shoes is Salomon and another favorite brand of mine is Luminox Watches. Luminox Watches are not made in sweatshops but are made here in the United States and Switzerland. These watches are made for the US Army, Navy Seals, and United Sates Airforce. Columbia and Salomon’s are. Salomon’s stance on sweatshop labor is to ensure that the factories are safe and fair places to work within. They have standards implemented to follow certain protocols and policies, but these have not always been followed, especially in Thailand. They take the sweatshop labor seriously and try their best to make it a safe and efficient workplace with minimal problems. It was very hard to find any information pertaining to sweatshops and Columbia Sportswear however, I found an interesting document showing where all of Columbia is manufactured. Even though it is a United States based company, the products are all mostly made out of the United States.

The workers that make these brands and any other brands most likely do not get paid minimum wages and also face poor working conditions with many exposures to toxins and pollutants as well as long working hours. The workers also get treated very unfairly and often face a lot of discrimination. It is very illegal to not pay workers minimal wage and if the right person finds out about factories underpaying their workers, they will have to face consequences. There are such a large amount of factories and sweatshops across the world, I just cannot even imagine what it would be like to have to make a job out of something like that. We are so fortunate today in America to have opportunities for jobs and mandatory minimal wage and we often take this very for granted.

http://www-rohan.sdsu.edu/faculty/dunnweb/rprnts.risingabovesweatshops.htm

http://demandware.edgesuite.net/aasn_prd/on/demandware.static/Sites-Columbia_US-Site/Sites-Columbia_US-Library/default/v1409263586502/AboutUs/PDF/Factory-list-update-2014-04-24.pdf

Data Analysis on Fake News – The Daily Show – James Hyman

The Daily Show with Trevor Noah is a comedy twist on news and also gives false information and fake stories from the news. I chose to watch the episode from October 22, 2015 called John Harwood. This show looks very much like a traditional networking news program. It has the same appearance, features certain stories, has interviews, and is set up like a news room with an audience as well. There are both news reporting and interviews throughout the episode I watched and the stage resembles a regular news network station. The design of graphics is also very much familiar to other news stations.

This episode talks about Hilary Clinton and the scandal with Benghazi on September 11th 2012. It portrays a lot of fake information and also has a lot of humor and jokes around it as well. This episode also talks about super heroes and that Jeb Bush got asked twice during separate interviews who his favorite super hero was. The guest on the show that night was John Harwood who is the Chief Washington Correspondent for CNBC. He has been interviewing candidates and is moderating an upcoming debate. The amount of information given on this show is both real stories incorporated with some fake things and humor added to them. The Benghazi attacks are very much so real and do involve Hillary Clinton. What John Harwood talked about when he appeared on the show is very real as well. It is sometimes hard to tell what they are talking about and what could really be real versus fake.

I am not sure exactly how audience members really know what to believe about the truth of any particular statements or stories. I found myself lost through watching some of the episode and hadn’t heard a lot about these events before. There is also a lot of laughter from the audience for the duration of the show which makes me skeptical to what is true or false. I have never watched this show before doing this assignment and had actually never even heard of it. I try to stay away from the news and media as much as possible because all that is usually portrayed is negative events that I do not want to see on television or hear about period.

I believe a few of the underlying messages from this show was that Hillary Clinton is not as great as some people thinks she is and also that these Benghazi attacks are still having an impact in today’s society. Also from John Harwood when he was talking about this year’s debates and showing segments from last year, he was portraying some of the information and the lack of things that the candidates know that really does go on during these debates. I am not among audience members who get my political news from fake news shows or believe everything I see on the real news or social media. You must do your own research and figure out what is really true. I am sure that these shows probably do influence people’s political ideas which is sad, but it is what our world has come to these days. I also believe that they are a distraction to young people’s awareness of issues and may push them even further away from wanting to be involved with politics at all.

In our world today, it is really hard to tell what the difference is between things that are real and fake. More and more especially involving the news and other social media outlets, we are seeing many people get involved in stories and hear about different events going on that are not even real or true. You have to pay attention to these things and pick up on the information from particular things that may actually be false or true. The only suggestion I can make about this is do your research and know what you are talking about before you start speaking about certain things.

http://www.cc.com/full-episodes/74y27e/the-daily-show-with-trevor-noah-october-22–2015—john-harwood-season-21-ep-21016

Data Analysis: Magazines – James Hyman

I chose to look at a People magazine that my Mom had lying around and an online sports magazine. The types of bodies that are displayed in the People magazine include both females and males that are all skinny in shape and size, attractive and bodies that the American world strives to be like. Some even look fake like Barbie dolls. They mostly all have on makeup and an expensive style. The colors vary through all types of ethnicities although most prominent are whites and African Americans. The types of activities that are shown include current events, entertainment, advertising and modeling. There are a lot of celebrities and famous people through this type of magazine as well. There are images practically on every page of the magazine. The text generally says who the person is, what the person is doing or gives an article about a current event going on or happenings in the entertainment industry. The images reflect the rules about male and female beauty in our society by showing us what the standard is supposed to be like and portrays the ideal hot, sexy, appealing image like any other type of media does these days.

In sports magazines the bodies that are displayed can be both male and female and are usually muscular bodies and people who are toned, skinny, and have muscle. A lot of times those pictured will also not have on a lot of clothing to flaunt their body appearance and to show their abs and muscle tone. The sizes and shapes can range from small to big depending on their body tone and the amount of muscle or bulk they carry, and the colors displayed include most ethnicities and vary on the magazine. The kinds of activities that are shown include most popular sports like football, baseball, basketball, soccer, etc. The text within the images usually gives a synopsis of who is in the picture, what team and sport they are a part of, their accomplishment, and what they are doing. It can also have longer in depth articles related to particular sports and teams that are popular and receiving attention at the time it is published. The images in these magazines reflect the rules of male and female beauty in our society by showing just that. These people are attractive to look at, have features that everyone strives to have, are athletic, and usually a well-known or popular figure for our society.

Both these magazines have features that are attractive for both males and females. The People magazine is generally probably read by more women than males, but also the male audience could like this magazine if they are into looking at attractive women. Sports magazines are typically probably read by more males, but females could be attracted to these as well if they wanted to look at players they think are attractive. I do believe there are some differences in regards to what is displayed as attractive for both men and women. Different genders are usually interested and attracted to different things than one another. I do think however that both of these magazines have both features that men and women could be interested in.

Data Workshop – James Hyman

I chose to talk about the song “Changes” by 2PAC. Racism is defined as, “a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human racial groups determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one’s own race is superior and has the right to dominate others or that a particular racial group is inferior to the others.” Just by reading the lyrics you can pick up on racism and how he feels about being a part of this world. In his song he refers to racism between both whites and blacks. He states he wants to change, but it’s still the same thing over and over again because no one seems willing to put effort forward to make changes in this world so we can all get along. It takes fighting and war on the streets to make people happy these days and that is the only time people feel at peace, when they are killing one another.

Ethnicity is defined as, “a social group that shares a common and distinctive culture, religion, language, or the like.” This song expresses ethnicity by basically stating that white and black people cannot get along without killing each other, but he wanted a change where they could act like brothers and get along with each other. It is so sad in this modern time we are in that people get offended if a white person hangs out with a black person. It should not have to be that way.

Identity is defined as, “the condition of being oneself or itself, and not another.” The identity he shows in this song is that he is poor, living on the edge of poverty, “lookin’ for a purse to snatch,” “Sellin’ crack to the kids” so he can get paid. “Give ’em guns, step back, and watch ’em kill each other. “It’s time to fight back”, that’s what Huey said. 2 shots in the dark now Huey’s dead.” Anyone that tried to make changes get shot and killed. It’s not a world of free speech anymore because if you speak your mind, you have a good risk of getting shot.

Inequality is “the condition of being unequal; lack of equality; disparity.” This song focuses on the inequality we have in this world. A prime example of it in the lyrics is when he states, “Cops give a damn about a negro? Pull the trigger, kill a nigga, he’s a hero.” Sometimes this is very true that the police can tend to target African Americans. It depends on where you live though and what actions you choose to take. Another example, “It ain’t a secret don’t conceal the fact…the penitentiary’s packed, and it’s filled with blacks,” shows that law enforcement targets blacks, and tends to arrest them, but both black and white people are doing the same thing.

“Solidarity is union or fellowship arising from common responsibilities and interests, as between members of a group or between classes, and people.” His point about this song was that we need to make changes and come together to be a coherent society, but it would take effort to make these changes. This has not happened yet.

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/2pac/changes.html

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/racism?s=t

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/ethnicity?s=t

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/identity?s=t

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/inequality?s=t

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/solidarity

Analyzing Media Data Workshop – James Hyman

The three advertisements I found for this data workshop included an advertisement commercial about a BMW car, an Allstate commercial about making life good through the bad things, and a commercial about alcohol.

The first advertisement commercial “BMW Commercial. It’s only a car” is intended for the audience of anyone who is interested in the automobile industry and nice, expensive vehicles. I am into different vehicles and liked this commercial myself. I think these type of commercials are more prevalent for the male population. The product that is being advertised is a new BMW car. In addition, the advertisement is also trying to sell products that go along with a car such as tires, oil, windshield wipers and navigation. While this is indirect, it still states things about products like these leading you to think about needing to purchase some of these items with a car as well. The message makes me feel good because the voice used in the commercial is persuading and plays on emotions because of the tone of voice the man is talking in. I believe that this ad does work because it persuaded me to buy the product. I would like to buy this product yes, but I most likely will not because it is an expensive commodity.

The second advertisement I looked at was “Good Life Anthem – Allstate Commercials.” This commercial appeals to the good life and how we live our lives through the bad that happens in this world every day. The message that this advertisement is intended for can really be anyone since it shows all age groups and talks about things all age groups take part in. The service that is being advertised is Allstate Insurance. I do not think that this advertisement really tries to sell anything else besides Allstate and living life and making it good even through the bad times. The message does play on my emotions because all of the things that we do in life are potentially dangerous, although we still have to live our lives and make the best of them. The message makes me feel good because there is no point in not making the life you have to live not good. I believe that the ad does work and is a powerful commercial. I would not buy the Allstate Insurance because I already have a different insurance agency.

The final type of advertisements I chose to look at was alcohol ads. These days, it is hard to go anywhere without seeing alcohol advertised. The message intended for these types of advertisements is really any age group. While it should be those of the legal drinking age, a lot of times these ads even target minors and influence them to take part in consuming alcohol products too. The product that is being advertised is alcohol and specifically Bud Light. This advertisement is not trying to sell anything else but is pretty humors. The message makes me feel like I need to have a Bud Light with the rest of the guys. While they are supposed to be on the roof doing work and fixing things, they are instead having a drink. It portrays the message that drinking is okay which is sometimes true, but not always. This ad does work because it is comical and portrays a product I like. I do already buy Bud Light.

I think that advertising has a big influence on my life and my buying habits as well as everyone else’s lives. It is hard to go anywhere or do anything without being surrounded by advertisements which makes you feel certain ways about different products and a lot of the times influences you that you need to get the particular product or services too. The ads that probably have the strongest effect on me are ads related to tools and doing work and food advertisements. When you see ads about food, it makes you feel hungry and also crave the product you saw. When I see certain ads about tools and different work being done, it makes me want the tools they are using so I can have them as a part of my collection for working too. In the world we live in today, we are surrounded by materialism and feeling the need to have the latest and greatest products around. The lure of sopping and material possessions is highly promoted and seen as a normal thing in our culture. It is okay to ‘shop till you drop’ and to spend money on products just because. I don’t really try to compete with material possessions between my friends, neighbors or coworkers. While I am sure I have feelings of wanting some of the products and things they have, I am not going to have to buy everything they have too just so I can compete with them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JY02BTJrrOc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kI1bKm22Up0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUzqe3u8BU0

Reflection on this Course – James Hyman

This class has been a very enjoyable and fun class. I decided to take this class because I needed a one credit class that would be relatively easy to fulfill. This class also sparked my interest because it did not last for the entire semester and it sounded like an interesting class that would only be around for this semester since the bike race was a once in a lifetime opportunity to have here in Richmond, Virginia. It was never a bad thing that the tuition was discounted for these courses either.

I am a criminal justice and homeland security major, so a class like this is not the usual type of classes I am a part of. I have not really had any previous experiences working with media and covering events, so I thoroughly enjoyed getting to learn about it and getting to practice some of it myself. It was really neat to read other people’s work in this class and learn from them too, especially those who were interning for the Richmond Times Dispatch.

What I found the most interesting was actually being able to be a part of the bike race and experience this opportunity. It is awesome that our college could be such a big part of this event and helped it run so successfully. Seeing how it brought the community together and how many people traveled here for this event was neat. When I watched the news and looked at media through the duration of this event, I also enjoyed seeing a lot of positivity and hearing about what was taking place during this event and how I could get involved. News and media is normally negative, so having this positivity right here where we lived was great to experience.

The only thing I was not a huge fan of was figuring out the whole RamPages site. I am used to the traditional format of Blackboard and would much rather prefer using that. Once the layout of the class website was changed, it was a little easier to understand and navigate through, but I have never used this before prior to this semester. I also enjoyed learning how to use new media outlets throughout this class that I had never looked at or used before.