Some Assembly Required

One of the biggest claims I can make as a part of this inquiry project is about social media such as Pinterest. To make this claim, I have used the support of Purcell-Davis’s paper from The Journal of Bioethics. Purcell-Davis starts out the paper by establishing the importance of “network connectivity” in modern time. She satiates that it is “probably the most transformative force since the arrival of electricity in the late nineteenth and twentieth centuries” (Purcell-Davis). Moving on with that, Purcell-Davis also claims that “social media relies on this network connectivity” which helps us see why she compared it to electricity in the first place. Without network connectivity social media cannot function on such a large scale.

Continue reading Some Assembly Required

Filling my Toolbox

1. Allyson Purcell-Davis, The Representations of Novel Neurotechnologies in Social Media: Five Case Studies

2. Max Kennedy, The Evolution of the Word “Biotechnology”

3. Elizabeth Stellrecht, Pinterest Interest: Converting a Consumer Health Guide Wiki into a Pinterest Page

4. Colin L. Bird Cerys Willoughby and Jeremy G. Frey, Laboratory notebooks in the digital era: the role of ELNs in record keeping for chemistry and other sciences

5. Kate Cummings, Why You Need Social Media Recordkeeping

Continue reading Filling my Toolbox

Future Thoughts

In the next ten years, Pinterest will grow and obtain more members. I believe that it may grow to become like backboard, along with communications people will use it as a library for resources. I believe that Pinterest will expand its other categories, unlike the traditional DIY, food and drinks, and fitness and health. It may expand categories like education, science, and technology. Schools and universities will have their own accounts and then will have different boards that will like out to different resources that they will have available for their students. Scientists will use it like an open forum to discover new ideas and talent. One of the limitations this source could have is finding a source that you have not pinned because of the plethora of pins posted in Pinterest. You would have to be very specific in what you were searching if you didn’t pin it or like it.  If you are looking for a specific article on the Google Glass and simply search the term, there would be thousands of pins that would show up that would be irrelevant to the article.

EDIT:

The increase in the membership of Pinterest will increase the flow of users that are able to see pins. I predicted that schools and universities will be able to use it as a library for resources. I believe that it will happen more often because some schools have already begun to do it. Some universities use it to conduct a virtual tour. When the population of students increase due to the existence of their school pages, they will get exposed to pins in the category of education and science and technology. Such boards are used to share articles and novel inventions. In result to that, Pinterest will become the breeding ground for new biotechnological ideas. But given the nature of Pinterest today (mainly used for arts and crafts), will it ever gain momentum towards an increased amount of users that interact on educational/biotechnological boards? Also, will Pinterest develop a better searching system?

Nugget #5: Personal Dynamic Media

“… The Dynabook can be used as an interactive memory or file cabinet. The owners’s context can be entered through a keyboard and active editor, retained and modified indefinitely, and displayed on demand in a font of publishing quality…”

–       Alan Kay and Adele Goldberg

The concept of a Dynabook intrigues me very much. The idea, in its time, was a genius idea! In this article by Kay and Goldberg, this passage catches my attention. This description is very well tailored to our modern day personal computer. With access to the Internet, on the personal computer we are able to accomplish everything described above and much more.

Thinking back to the original nugget from Bush’s paper, this description would also be an ideal concept of what he envisioned in that quotation. It all goes back to the integration of a system that infinitely stores knowledge and then has the capability to manipulate and retrieve stored information. Although the Dynabook has limited disk space, evolution in technology would eventually overcome that hurdle. As of yet, there have been no storage limits on Pinterest or a time limit of how long information will be stored for. Information on Pinterest can be stored like it would be in a file cabinet and will be able for reclamation anytime we please.

EDIT!!!

Yusr4 has discussed the iPad quiet often mainly because it is the main topic of her paper. The nugget I chose also applies to an iPad because it is basically a portable “fancy” personal computer. When we take into consideration the portability of the personal computer, there are infinite possibilities of uses. It can be used, and has been in use in other settings other than the OR or medical settings. VCU Univ. 200 also selected the same nugget that Yurs4 selected but his main point was to call out the waiting times in our waiting rooms. The medical practice I work in, one of our main issues is also waiting times. We are constantly looking form new programs or updates that we can utilize to speed up patient waiting times. Colin talks about the use of a Dynabook in relation to music. He discusses how easy it would be to compose music because you would be able to do multiple things such as edit your composition immediately and self-evaluate it. In the article there was also mention of comparing your composition to professional pieces. That would be great!

Project Prospectus

Initially, I wanted to find a way to somehow incorporate a branch of science (biotechnology) I was interested in with the outlet of social media I use the most, Pinterest. I wanted to go through Pinterest’s #biotechnology pins to see what was posted on there the most and how I could use it to my benefit. My plan was to find sources that mentioned both of my main subjects and made a connection. I found many sources that showed the use of social media in schools and universities and explained how they were advantageous to them as well. I also looked up the different categories of social media and what they are mainly used for. When I came across Pinterest, to be honest, this came off as a bit of a challenge.

I wanted to start off with how far we have come along with science and the development of biotechnology. I wanted to discuss that with all of the discoveries and experiences we have had today, the necessity for an integrated data storage and search system. Then, I wanted to tie the role of Pinterest into that. So my BIG question would be along the lines of “The significance of Pinterest in the development of biotechnology”.

As I continued my research, I found that Pinterest has gained momentum over the years and is being used more and more in the academic field. Many Universities and libraries have begun to use Pinterest as sources for their websites. I also saw that many people discuss future concept instruments and discuss novel techniques and inventions.I think this is interesting because I thought that Pinterest was only used for leisure. I found out that the increasing traffic on Pinterest is one of the main reasons schools and libraries have begun to use it. With that said, I think it is very important to understand that SOCIAL MEDIA HAS TAKEN OVER OUR LIVES!!!!

Ultimately, I hope to demonstrate the role Pinterest plays in the field of biotechnology and its development. I also wish to briefly discuss how it is a great means of communication and inspiration for current and future scientists.  Continue reading Project Prospectus

Nugget Curation

There are several tags I have chosen to discuss that may aid in making connections between my first four nuggets. The first one is #evollution, which isn’t in reference to any biological species, but to the evolution of science and technology. The second tag is #datastorage, next is #socialmedia,  then #pinterest, and finally #biotechnology. I will now describe my four nuggets in a nutshell. The first nugget (N#1) starts out with Bush’s article and I selected a nugget that discusses how we should be able to store our experience and knowledge in a systematic way and be able to make extracts  from the records, in addition it stated that knowledge evolves over lifetimes. The second nugget (N#2) was from Licklider’s article and it basically stated that man and computer will be working together in close association over time. The third nugget (N#3) is from Engelbart’s article but it is his selection from one of Bush’s writing. In that nugget it is said that science is evolving at a fast pace so we need a faster system which we can use to search through the knowledge we accumulate over time. The last nugget (N#4) is from the Combuter Lib/ Dream Machine article and states that computers are used for leisure, but because it has become so common, we will need to become used to it.

#evolution:

As I mentioned before, this tag is meant to describe the evolution of science and technology. In my case since we are discussing the use of science and technology in the medical field, it would be the evolution of biotechnology. I can relate this tag to my first nugget from Bush’s article. N#1 can be tagged with this tag because it acknowledges that accounts in the science field are accumulated as we experience them, “knowledge evolves over lifetimes”. It is very similar to the definition of the word evolution, the gradual development of something, usually from simple to more complex. N#2 can also be tagged with this tag because I can infer from it that it is saying that humans and computers will integrate “over time”. N#3 simply states that science is evolving at a fast speed. Finally N#4 states that we are “gradually” becoming exposed to more and more computer usage, and that we need to get used to them.

#datastorage:

This tag can be used to describe N#1, N#3, and N#4. The first two nuggets under this tag basically state the same thing. They emphasize since we have such a huge compilation of knowledge over  the years, we should have a system in which we should be able to select out specific pieces of knowledge that we need from that system that all the data is stored under. The N#4 can still use this tag but in a different sense. Today most of the leisure activities are on social networks or on electronic devices. This includes Facebook, Twitter, bloggin, to books and newspaper that are available on your smartphones. The massive amount of data that is stored on these devices seems to be unimaginable, just for the sake of accessibility and our ease.

#socialmedia:

Again, N#1, N#3, and N#4 fall under the umbrella of this tag. Social media is a way for us to express our knowledge. So many times I log into my Fb account or my new twitter account, I see new articles. These articles are from newspaper, or internet blog, or ever some journal. They are an exchange of ideas because, aside from me, millions of readers see them. I can always go back and specifically search a term that describes the main objective of the articles and come across them. Social media also can be used to tag N#2 because some of us are so reliant on it, some of us can be seen to live through it. The status updates, the picture loading, the following and the checkins. N#4 obviously takes the tag of social media because they are known as leisurely activities done on the computer or computer like devices. Some people use them for business purposes, hence, the “need to learn them”.

#Pinterest

N#4 talks about activities/social media done on the computer in your free time and that immediately jogs my mind to #Pinterest. N#1 could also be tagged under this tag when I think of the board on Pinterest. Think about the millions of pins being pinned from the millions of blogs available on the internet, similar to the tons of discoveries and milestones we have hit in the field of science all in one, enormous book. By easily pinning what you are interested on your board to have with you forever is like easily finding what you need from THE BOOK OF SCIENCE and making “extracts” from that big book to save with you for whenever you need it.

#biotechnology:

The last tag I wish to discuss is used to describe N#1, N#2, and N#3. The evolution of medical science and technology has formed a the necessity of biotechnology. The storage of experience over time is the culprit for the birth of this new branch (N#1 and N#3). It was not born overnight, in fact its a fairly new branch. Most of the tools involved in biotechnology are just mere extensions of human tasks (N#2) such as forceps, retractors, and holding instruments.

Panning for Nuggets 2

Before I start making any statements I am going to go ahead and present my three nuggets:

“…”Pinterest” is a social curation site. …The term “social curation” referred to in this study is known as the filtering of information and links in a socially enhanced way around one or more particular themes or topics. … “Curation” means searching for and collecting information, organizing that information in meaningful ways, reflecting on collected information, and interpreting that information to form new understanding (Rosenbaum, 2011).”

– Daniel P. De Jager Loftus and Abby Moore

Each year computing facilities become more powerful, almost a necessity just to keep pace with the expanding volume of data. In the 21st century we cannot even hope to keep track of our results and other notes without digital support. Moreover, when data is semantically annotated, programs can reason and actually assist with the implementation, and undertaking of the science itself.”

-Colin L Bird, Cerys Willoughby and Jeremy G. Frey

“We therefore need to take heed of the fact that a lot of key business operations are moving to social media technologies, and we need to think about this transition from an information-based perspective.

For example, as a result of the transition to social, increasingly there will not be formal publications, or reports, or white papers or meeting minutes or other fixed, formal, standard forms of accountability and history that we have traditionally relied upon.

Instead there will be wikis and tweets and Facebook forums and blog posts and a host of fantastic, dynamic, collaboratively developed content…”

-Kate Cumming

The three nuggets I have selected from my sources all fall under one umbrella, which is the storage of records. This links back to my first nugget from Bush’s article and my third nugget, which Engelbart selected from what Bush stated in his article. All three of these nuggets talk about  data storage and retrieval of information int he current time period and possibly in the future.

In the first nugget I selected from one of my sources discusses Pinterest and defines it as a “curation site”. It then goes on to define the word “curation”. After things have been curated, they are stored on to your own board on your Pinterest account. Anytime you want to access what you have “curated” you simply just have to access your account or search using the search option. Easy peasy!

My next nugget from the Bird, Willoughby, and Frey article discusses the necessity of data storage. It talks about the importance of digital data storage, because with the vast amount of data we now   have in our hands, we need an ever expanding system. It simply states that when data is “semantically annotated” we will basically have a smooth integration of data and computer.

My third nugget talks about government information on social media and how to store it. They discuss how special government information will be noted through social media. Traditional note keeping and meeting minutes will disappear from white paper. However it is the retrieval of such information in the future will be the issue.

Continue reading Panning for Nuggets 2

Concept Experience 3: Twitter!!!

twitter

Twitter has been quiet an experience. I originally had planned to keep twitter just for the length of this class but my mind has changed. I have enjoyed interacting with other students on twitter to form a group for the purpose of this class.

https://twitter.com/IfrahAnsari88/status/484515694521094145 Screen Shot 2014-07-03 at 11.25.34 PM

This was my first interaction and attempt to find a group member on twitter. From reading all the blogs, posting comments, and trying to figure out what how others topics relate to mine, I was able to find Yusra. I recalled that she was discussing the use of an iPad in the operating room. It sounds a lot like biotechnology, which is the main focus of my research.

https://twitter.com/gerellTV/status/484490334580510720Screen Shot 2014-07-03 at 11.42.45 PM

The #thoughtvectors group was my biggest help! I looked through all the tweets that “hash-tagged” #thoughtvectors, I filtered through all the tweets that were of my interest. I came upon Gerell’s tweet, who is taking the class, but is not in our section. His tweet stated that his topics were looking at integrating medical field and technology.  (BING! BING! BING! Biotechnology!)

https://twitter.com/helensayurikim/status/484157473298063360

https://twitter.com/helensayurikim/status/484819660433813504

Screen Shot 2014-07-03 at 11.50.58 PM Screen Shot 2014-07-03 at 11.51.27 PM

I also found Helen through twitter. I remember from previous weeks that she was discussing the use of robotic technology, but with a negative twist. She talked about how the government was designing and testing all these robots that were designed to not do the best things.

Tweeting has been an adventure for the last three days. Before then, it was very boring, and to me, it had no meaning. It has taught me how different students have the ability to make connections. Our projects may not be the same but have similar aspects to them that can help with the sources we may be able to use. Blogs and tweeting are a great way of interacting for online classes. I have downloaded the twitter app on my iPhone and have been getting live notifications and I can reply to them right then and there! I believe that if we continue to converse about our inquiry projects, we can ask our peers to edit our papers. Also, we can call attention to our blogs when we post something new that can’t be tweeted. We all know that twitter has limited us to 140 characters. We can post nuggets and ask our group members to suggest their point of view.