Bringing the Byrd to Lyfe

It’s been such a treat to work with faculty members Jill Ware, Events Coordinator & Building Manager for The Depot, and John Freyer from VCU’s Photography & Film Department. Since…

SXSWedu

Late post! Lots of things have been changing at VCU ALT Lab, leaving little time to pause and reflect on the past few weeks. I’m going to wrack…

2015: Year in Review

I recently created a demo reel of all our work over the past year. Sadly, to keep it short, I had to cut a lot out. However, I…

Understanding Connected Learning

So I’m really into musicals. 98% of my readership may have just dropped out after that first sentence, but for the remaining 2%, I’m hoping this anecdote will…

G-zilla Artistic Director

One would think that my favorite part of working on the course trailer of all course trailers was from that first moment when a faculty member came to…

The Story’s in the Telling

You’ve probably already heard loads about the FI Video Collective from Molly B., but today I’d like to touch on an aspect of production that tends to go under-appreciated…

FI Video Collective

We are embarking on a project that is wildly ambitious! Yes, yes, an out of this world video explanation is coming! (But this blog post is overdue and videos…

Steadicam Obstacle Course!

In the beginning, film directors only had two options for moving the camera: Put the camera on a dolly, which takes up much time and space to set up, or…

Video Assignments

VCU students produced these five documentary video projects that I am so proud to share, since I know that they learned so much through the process of making…

Ain’t Nothin’ but an HSEP Thang

The final weeks of the Fall 2015 Semester were a whirlwind. The project that consumed most of my time during this home stretch was a video that had…