Post 8

In the two stories we read for Tuesday, I actually found it quite refreshing to have instances where Sherlock Holmes was depicted as being fallible. In both these stories and in references in both real life and other fandoms, Holmes is very often depicted as being this genius detective who follows all of the clues… Continue reading Post 8

Post 7

Before we get into whether or not The Sign Of The Four is a racist book, we need to keep in mind that, as many people brought up yesterday, this novel was written in and takes place in the Victorian era- because of this, it is obviously not going to be up to the present-day… Continue reading Post 7

Post 6

A Study In Emerald was very interesting to me and fun to read, because I’ve already read several H. P. Lovecraft stories- including The Call Of Cthulhu– I’ve actually got a Complete Fiction collection of all of his stories, which I’m still in the middle of. Because of this I recognised a lot of the… Continue reading Post 6

Post 5

The crime that I have chosen was the killing and dismemberment of David Guy in England by his friend David Hilder. The crime is estimated to have taken place betwixt 30 June and 3 July 2012 in Portsmouth. It is believed that David Guy and David Hilder got into an argument, and Hilder, in a… Continue reading Post 5

Post 4

Watching the adaptation of The Hound Of The Baskervilles after reading the story definitely impacted how I viewed the movie. For one thing, since in the book Stapleton’s so-called ‘sister’ Beryl is in on the plot (albeit reluctantly), during the entire movie up until the end scene I believed Beryl in the movie to actually… Continue reading Post 4

Thoughts After Class Thursday

Something that came into my mind when we were discussing how Holmes treats Watson, along with everyone else, was that a similar thing is present in the show Doctor Who, although it of course is somewhat different. The Doctor- like Sherlock Holmes- can and does manipulate people, and does put them in danger sometimes. A… Continue reading Thoughts After Class Thursday

Post 3

A way these chapters vary from what we’ve seen so far in Sherlock Holmes stories is that they’ve put Watson on his own, and therefore having to make his own deductions and draw his own conclusions. What we’ve seen previously has been either both Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Watson experiencing an adventure/case together, or just… Continue reading Post 3

Post 2

As I prepare to write my Pastiche, something that I want to add to my general model of what features are prominent in a Sherlock Holmes story is that, although the stories pretty much always have some forme of conclusion, they do not always end up with someone being caught, so to speak. Certainly we… Continue reading Post 2

Post 1

Regarding the structure of these three stories compared with A Study In Scarlet, I think the main structural feature that first comes to my mind is how A Study In Scarlet was divided up into those two very different sections. With the three stories we have read, all of them more or less stick to… Continue reading Post 1