Post 2

As I prepare to write my Pastiche, something that I want to add to my general model of what features are prominent in a Sherlock Holmes story is that, although the stories pretty much always have some forme of conclusion, they do not always end up with someone being caught, so to speak. Certainly we always get Sherlock Holmes revealing his deductions and saying it was none other than the Duke (Priory School), but this doesn’t always lead to an arrest- we don’t see the Duke from The Adventure Of The Priory School– nor his secret son who had orchestrated the kidnapping of the Duke’s younger son- getting arrested and charged with the crimes committed. Sure Sherlock Holmes reprimands the Duke, and his son who had caused all of this gets sent to Australia, but other than the innkeeper getting arrested and charged with the killing of the school master, we don’t get any of what would commonly be considered to be ‘justice’. In The Adventure Of The Resident Patient, we see a similar thing: the case gets solved, but the murderers never get caught- other than them likely dying in a shipwreck disaster. Likewise with A Scandal In Bohemia, the case is solved, but the perpetrator gets cleanly away- the Duke is able to keep his reputation intact and clean, and the lady blackmailing him gives assurances that she’ll never reveal the picture. All of this ends up demonstrating that, though the cases almost always have some forme o’ conclusion or closure, they do not always end up with someone being caught and/or arrested.

1 comment

1. All important observations. Would you say Sherlock Holmes abets crimes by helping to cover them up? It’s definitely worth considering his moral code — where it stops. A common observation made by fans (not least because Watson muses on it) is that Holmes could just as easily be a criminal as a solver of crimes.