Post 8

In the two stories we read for Tuesday, I actually found it quite refreshing to have instances where Sherlock Holmes was depicted as being fallible. In both these stories and in references in both real life and other fandoms, Holmes is very often depicted as being this genius detective who follows all of the clues and pretty much always gets the cases solved and the criminals nicked. It’s nice for there to be some ‘Oops!’ moments in his adventures. When I originally read The Five Orange Pips years ago- after having seen the Sherlock Holmes In The 22nd Century episode version previously- I sort of felt like it was cheap way to end the story. But this was because I was used to- both in Sherlock Holmes stories and other works referencing them- Sherlock Holmes always or almost always ending up solving the case. So the hinting that the criminals died at sea in that storm was a small comfort, but the overall feel of the story felt somewhat wanting. To reference Sherlock Holmes In The 22nd Century again, in the episode based off the story (I won’t spoil the story with details for those that haven’t seen it yet) it seems like Holmes had lost in the case, but he reveals something which makes it a success- unlike the original short story.

EDIT: Here’s the link to the episode on Youtube- it looks like the entire series is all on there:

“Sherlock Holmes In The 22nd Century 106 – The Five Orange Pips” – YouTube