Analyzing the Obvious

I’m a big fan of sleeping. I searched the question “Why do we need sleep?” As I read that, I wondered about dreams and why we dream. I was intrigued because there was no exact answer in the article. Instead, there are a variety of theories. The theories surround the topics of physiology and psychology. There were theories from Freud; he theorized that dreams were based off sexual desires and symbolism. Then, I remembered how I used to sleepwalk and I looked up, if dreams occur while sleepwalking. I found that because of Rapid Eye Movement (REM) sleep, our bodies are in a paralysis state so we don’t act out our dreams.

The last thing I thought of were babies and if they dream and/or have nightmares. When I searched that, I didn’t really find anything about that topic as much as I found things about babies sleep. I found that babies couldn’t tell the difference between night and day so they sleep according to their eating schedule. As I did my search, I knew the answers to most of my research but the articles and websites elaborated on everything I already knew. I felt like I was in charge and I chose what I wanted to search. Since I used Google, I wasn’t limited in my research. The computer offered me unlimited sources and I utilized them to my benefit. (The screenshots may be blurry, just click on them and a clear view will be displayed in another window).

Screen Shot 2015-09-07 at 2.08.44 PM Screen Shot 2015-09-07 at 2.08.28 PM

4 thoughts on “Analyzing the Obvious

• September 10, 2015 at 3:21 am

Nice topic. I would like to know why we need sleep too. I just wondering how you get to babies sleep from sleepwalking. Did you read any article that mentioned baby or you just had this question in your mind?

• September 10, 2015 at 8:00 pm

It really just popped into my mind. I always wondered why babies would cry in their sleep and maybe thought they had a bad dream so it just came into my mind.

• September 11, 2015 at 8:13 pm

Im a fan of taking naps often throughout the day. Your topic is really interesting. I dream all the time, but sometimes I get these really crazy ones and Ive always wondered what is that causes them

• September 11, 2015 at 10:55 pm

I love this topic especially because I’m a huge fan of sleeping as well! I think that your question led you to interesting information.