Re-Evaluations

Yesterday in lab, we did re-evaluations to reflect on how far we’ve come since the first day of lab. When I did the mile run the first time around, I felt like death afterwards. For days, my legs were sore and my abs hurt every time I laughed. This time, I completed the mile much easier, and I didn’t even have to stop to take a walk break. The first time around doing the dead-lift and bench-press was extremely tough, but yesterday I was able to complete the workouts much easier. I still plan to work on my flexibility because I’m not where I want to be with that yet. This was a good exercise because I was able to see how far I’ve come with my muscular strength and cardiorespiratory endurance.

Sport Nutrition

Today in lab we talked about Sports Nutrition and the differences in the fuel amounts the body needs when it comes to engaging in sports or just being a healthy individual. We learned that unsaturated fats are the healthy fats like oils. Saturated fats are the bad fats that increase LDL, the bad cholesterol, and decrease HDL, the good one. Transfats are unsaturated fats that have been chemically induced to have the characteristics of saturated fats.

We also learned about carb-loading methods that will best fit the kind of exercise you are going to engage in. The thing I found most interesting is that people should have 30% of their caloric intake from fats, and it’s safe to assume that a lot of people consume a lot more than 30%. I can’t speak for myself because I don’t pay attention to what I eat (which is bad) but knowing that information makes me want to pay more attention to what I put in my body.

How Much Fat Should I Eat?

Nutrition

Today in class, we talked about nutrition and how much saturated fat and sodium and sugar was in our food, and how we don’t really think about it. Nutrition is always the forgotten part of being healthy. Eating healthily can improve the way your body functions, providing it more sufficiently energy.

In class, I learned that  a lot of the foods I eat have a lot more sodium that I realized. My baked chicken, that I thought was pretty healthy, actually had about 503 mg of sodium. But I wonder where it comes from? Was it what the chicken ate while it was alive, or from how the chicken was processed afterwards? The cheese I would put on my baked potato made the sodium count skyrocket and the salt didn’t help. Otherwise, this assignment made me realize how much sodium, fat, and sugar I’m really putting into my body.

Flexibility

Today in class we learned about flexibility. People always forget that flexibility is a big part of physical fitness and often neglect to work on it. People don’t realize that being flexible now will help you in the long run when you’re older with your range of motion and back pain. I try to stretch everyday because I want to be more flexible. In class, I did pretty well with arm flexibility and my posture is pretty good. My leg flexibility is something I need to work on because I didn’t do very well on the sit and reach.

To improve flexibility, it’s good to start out slow, maybe once a week and holding the stretch for 10 seconds. Then working up for 2-3 times a week, holding the stretch for 10-15 seconds, and working up to everyday for 30 seconds. Everyone should and needs to work on their flexibility. Its not strenuous and it will help you in the long run with body pain.

Fitness Outreach Campaign

Today in class, we planned our fitness outreach campaign. I like this project because it’ll be pretty cool to try to influence other people outside of the Kinesiology department. My group came to a decision on what we are going to do and I think it’s a pretty good idea. I’m looking forward to getting started on it. I’m hoping to get my friends in the video with us, and the other group member’s friends, so that way we are reaching more people right then and there.

As for spring break, the only exercise I got was going up and down the stairs at my house and walking through the mall. I enjoyed my spring break though.

Guest Trainer

So today in class, we had Tiffany Artis as a guest trainer. I was initially a little worried because Professor Salom said she always kicked her butt. I know I am no where near as trained as Professor Salom so I was worried. But Tiffany was very nice and cool and I stayed in the beginner group because I wasn’t comfortable working with the heavy weights. The workout wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be. But I guess I’ll find out in the morning. Doing these kinds of exercised really makes me want to work on my strength and incorporate weight training into my workout.

This video down below is cool because the girl starts with a warmup, which we now know is very important, especially for beginners.

Lower Body Strength

My lower body strength is definitely better than my upper body strength, but it’s still something I have to work on. We did squats, dead lift, and calf raises to test our lower body strength in lab. It was initially tougher than I thought because I do squats occasionally, and run when I can, but I never do anything with weights. This exercise really made me consider putting weights and weight-bearing activities into my light workout routine.

We also did curl-ups, which I did pretty well in because I do crunches pretty regularly. The wall sit really took my legs out from underneath me though. I remember doing wall sits in high school and having no problem with. It has now become super difficult and that’s because I haven’t done them in awhile and my body wasn’t use to it. I am definitely going to put more concentration into my lower body workouts now. Here is a link to a cool article about the benefits of weight-training!

Upper Body Strength

So I knew from way before this class that my upper body strength is not good. My arms are thin and noodle-y and I can barely get the lids off some jars and sometimes have trouble opening juice containers. I found those exercises really difficult to do, except for the plank because I do that semi-regularly.

Going through the exercise in class really made me want to change all that. I feel like people focus on core and abs and cardio (girls especially I think) and we forget about the upper body, or I know I sure do. Down below is a beginner’s upper body workout to get newbies started! I’m definitely going to try it.

Beginners Arm Workout

Cardiorespiratory Fitness- ZUMBA

Yesterday, in class we participated in cardiorespiratory fitness by dancing along to a Zumba video. Firstly, I want to say that this is such a good way to work out if you don’t necessary like to work out traditionally. Tradition exercise can get repetitive and boring, and you might want to stop working out. But Zumba really gets your heart pumping, by getting you to dance and engage your whole body, all the while having fun. Secondly, Zumba really kicked my butt because I’m sore today so maybe I should do it more often! I have linked an article about the history of Zumba, and it explains who started it and what it’s all about.

Zumba History

Cardiorespiratory Fitness

Everyone knows that doing cardio is important for your health. We learned in class that the muscles of your heart actually become stronger with cardio and become able to pump blood more efficiently, and that it can lower your risk of CVD (cardiovascular disease), high blood pressure, stroke, etc.

I recently read an article related to low cardiorespiratory fitness being linked to higher rates of CVD, and high rates of CVD have even been observed in individuals with schizophrenia.  The article below says these two factors aren’t necessarily linked because it hasn’t been studied, but one can lead to the other. It’s pretty interesting.

http://www.sciencedirect.com.proxy.library.vcu.edu/science/article/pii/S0277953611006046