Interior Design

Everyone knows what Twitter basically is. It is a social media micro-blogging site created in March of 2006 by Jack Dorsey, Evan Williams, Biz Stone, and Noah Glass. A tweet consists of 140 characters of whatever you want to say. According to this website, the number of active registered twitter users is at 675,750,000 and counting. I’m sure people in this section of the class as well as the other sections have twitter accounts. As of recently, more and more people use social media sites like Twitter to connect with people around the world and stay up-to-date on world news. On twitter, you can find a range of different accounts such as parody accounts for humor, humor accounts, news accounts, facts accounts, verified celebrity accounts, your friends account, and much more.

I find that a lot of people blow off Twitter as being for people who just want to talk about what they had for breakfast and what they are watching on Netflix. This can be problematic for me because people may not take my Inquiry seriously, but I am here to prove them wrong. I myself was a bit ignorant to the subject, not knowing that Twitter was even considered mircoblogging. I want people to understand that Twitter and social media sites are worth talking about because they aren’t just for “lazy, self-centered” teenagers. Social media is a lot different than what many think. The research I conducted really introduced me to a new side of twitter and social media that I never thought about before. There are aspects of twitter that I never understood so this project gave me a chance to learn more about the society I live in and how a regular person can create something small and make it into something big. The research helped me turn problematic issues into issues I could work with.

Due to people knowing what Twitter is and what it does, I have chosen to go a little farther and research how Twitter has changed the way society communicates. My thesis will be: With the growing number of social media sites like Twitter and their increasing number of users, there has also been a change in the way society communicates. I think people should embrace the side of social media that isn’t really talked about instead of the face value of Twitter given the new side that I now understand thanks to the research I’ve done.

Main points (in no particular order):

1. Communication within society in the past
  2. Communication within society currently
  3. Rise of twitter
  4. How twitter is different/changed
  5. How social media is changing the world

One thought on “Interior Design”

1. The trajectory you present here is useful, Jala. Though, think about ways to make your thesis more precise. You write, “With the growing number of social media sites like Twitter and their increasing number of users, there has also been a change in the way society communicates. I think people should embrace the side of social media that isn’t really talked about instead of the face value of Twitter.” What is important about this communication? how does it specifically manifest, and in what way(s)? Why is this compelling? Making this more precise will bolster the significance of the claim and make your project more precise.