Texting My Dream

Hi everyone. To those of you who’ve read what I’ve been writing about, it would appear as there is no real methodology or direction to the content of my posts. Well, let me tell you, kiddo, I’ve decided what I want to use for my primary text!

It’s not so much a site as it is an internet browser. I want to write about Tor, the browser that (until the recent past) had a reputation of being the only entirely anonymous way to exist on the internet.

306px-Tor-logo-2011-flat.svg

Tor is used to access .onion sites. I’m going to assume that some of you are familiar with what a .onion site may entail, but to those of you that are unfamiliar, sites with this bulb in their name belong to a sector of the virtual world known as the Deep Web (not to be confused with the Dark Internet).

But Jamie, what’s the Deep Web? Well, it’s the VAST MAJORITY of the internet. Just look at this helpful picture:

Deepweb

Basically, the Deep Web is a place without rules. You want to buy drugs? go to the infamous Silk Road (version 2.0 since the original was eventually shut down), what about weapons? What about AN ASSASSIN TO KILL SOMEONE. LIKE, A HIT MAN. YEAH, THERE’S SOME HEAVY STUFF. The Deep Web is full of seedy dealings in anything from insider stock market information to pornography to to robbers for hire or marketplaces for exotic animals. There are also plenty of more conducive sites and communities on the Deep Web, such as political and social activists.

I’ve never been on it, but I’m really interested in it. Or, the idea of it really. Because though the aspects of the Deep Web that have brought it infamy are those that are indicative of the perverseness, cruelty, and dishonesty of the human race, there are a plethora of users that utilize this platform merely because they want privacy. It’s a known fact that search engines such as Google and sites such as Facebook record all of the information that you (knowingly or unknowingly) provide every time that you log on, and they also unabashedly sell this information to marketing companies and government agencies. Indeed, in recent times people have become more and more aware of the quiet ways in which they are being monitored, and many people feel as though personal privacy has is continuing to be breached in increasingly grievous ways.

And so, that’s where my interest in Tor emerges. Tor is a sot of wild west of the internet. Though there are now some ways in which the anonymity of users can be compromised, in this area of the internet one’s privacy is not only the number one priority, but it is really the only rule held sacred. The Deep Web is a massive haven for those who want to maintain their privacy and anonymity, and as such it is a state of absolute anarchy. There is no way to validate anything that people may claim, no way to tell a hoax from something legitimate, which in many ways brings back to the surface of the consciousness the speculation with which anything virtual should be regarded. Generally, people have grown comfortable with the internet and have learned to trust it more than it was in the past, the Deep Web, in masking all information about its users, contributors, and architects, places a spotlight onto the madness that is inherent to the internet as a platform of business and communication.

And Tor is the way to hop down that rabbit hole.