LOTR

If I were to triage (that’s French for “to sort”; there’s your French/medical terminology lesson for the day) my sources into three primary categories, I think the best way of doing so would be as follows:

1. Those dealing primarily with Tor as a sociopolitical tool or means of avoiding government surveillance

The Wired article is among these, as it places Tor within a post-Snowden context and describes the appeal, and in many ways the necessity of, such a service in this current age of technological surveillance and widespread political instability. The Daily Dot article also fits into this category, and it discusses in further detail the role that Tor plays outside of the United States, in countries such as Turkey and Iran.

2. Those focusing on the other incentives for using Tor, mostly to avoid marketing surveillance

This category belongs mostly to the Security Affairs article, though there is quite a bit of overlap between this category and the other two. I opted to place that article here because it most thoroughly describes the economy of the Deep Web, and the incentives that many individuals have for forging a presence within the world of anonymity: for recordless business transactions, untraceable activities, and merely to avoid the commodification of their personal information by more popular browsers. This article could equally be placed within the third category, because it talks extensively about the nuts and bolts of Tor and what it means to be anonymous, but its unique focus on the motivating factors for migrating to The Onion Router make it unique amongst my other sources.

3. Those that encapsulate information exchanges between people and the use of technological mediators for these exchanges.

These are primarily the three media readings that I am sourcing from. I am also filing the Reason.com article under this category, as it is an example of individuals serving as monitors and regulators of the potential madness of the Deep Web. The Tor Project website also is within this category, as it essentially serves to explain the manifesto of the Tor browser and its usership entire.