Nugget #2: Man-Computer Symbiosis

“In one sense of course, any man-made system is intended to help man, to help a man or men outside the system. If we focus upon the human operator within the system, however, we see that, in some areas of technology, a fantastic change has taken place during the last few years. “Mechanical extension” has given way to replacement of men, to automation, and the men who remain are there more to help than to be helped. In some instances, particularly in large computer-centered information and control systems, the human operators are responsible mainly for functions that it proved infeasible to automate. Such systems (“humanly extended machines,” North might call them) are not symbiotic systems. They are “semi-automatic” systems, systems that started out to be fully automatic but fell short of the goal.”

It’s funny, because when I read this article, my mind kept going to all those Sci-Fi films and shows were robots end up taking over the human race. There is no way of knowing what will happen when we start giving computers consciousness, and eventually higher levels of consciousness.

I remember hearing about this Russian billionaire named¬†Dmitry Itskov, who hired the worlds best cognitive scientist, neurosurgeons, computer programmers, and even some spiritual teachers, to come up with this hologram version of human species, were when our body dies, we can load our consciousness into this hologram, and we wont be restricted to a weak, flesh made body. He’s goal is to use this hologram to live a longer, better life, and also explore higher level of consciousness, which is when the spiritual teachers come in. ¬†Their end goal is to finish by 2045, hence “Project 2045”.

Who knows what will happen if this takes over the human race, or if we live among holograms and humans. No one can predict the future; technology gives us great power to help or harm ourselves, I guess the true test is to see what we do with the power we wield.

http://2045.com/

milestones_en

2 thoughts on “Nugget #2: Man-Computer Symbiosis”

1. There is actually a sci-fi short story, I believe it is called Pretty Boy Crossover. It presents a very similar concept to the 2045 avatar project.

2. That avatar project is fascinating. It reminds me of what Ray Kurzweil talks about when he discusses the “singularity.” I’m putting that term in here as a link because I think you might find the idea very interesting, especially given what you’re thinking about with regard to Licklider’s vision.