Concept Experience 2: Formulative vs. Formulated Thinking

During this experience, my obvious statement was “The sky is blue”.

When I had to analyze this statement and do research on it, I was puzzled. We were taught at an early age that the sky is blue, the grass is green, etc. But why is the sky blue? When I was researching that question, I found a explanation on it, “A clear cloudless day-time sky is blue because molecules in the air scatter blue light from the sun more than they scatter red light. When we look towards the sun at sunset, we see red and orange colors because the blue light has been scattered out and away from the line of sight”.

Now I am sure most people didn’t know that, yet they know the sky is blue. Another question arises, what is the color blue? The explanation above tells us that their is more blue light from the sun than red light. This tells us that we first must understand the electromagnetic spectrum, and why their is more blue light from the sun. After doing more research, I found out that the blue light has a shorter wavelength than the red light, and with how heat and light works, it makes sense why the sky is blue during the day time, and more reddish when the sun is about to set.

This experience has taught me that computers are EXTREMELY helpful tools, not only for pleasure and fun, but to answer any question or curiosity that may pop in your head. It is wonderful to know that were was someone else once before you, who asked that same question, and with their knowledge they gathered, they would share it to the rest of the world, via on the internet. The internet is probably one of the most important and useful inventions we humans have created in a long time. Make access to information and knowledge so much more viable and simple, makes learning fun!

horiz

BlueSky

7 thoughts on “Concept Experience 2: Formulative vs. Formulated Thinking”

1. This makes me such a huge nerd (not necessarially a bad thing) but I’ve actually researched this before! I loved the way I could follow your thinking and research while tying in computers at the end.

2. I agree with you tremendously, in the idea that computers are able to answer almost any question. In his article, Crookech discusses the idea of “no stupid questions,” which can reflect on the depth beneath a simple question, such as your question on “why is the sky blue?” A simple question can yield extraordinary explanations, and the computer can offer outstanding explanations.

3. Very interesting thing to research! Light in general and how and why we see colors is fascinating. Also how we perceive our environment and how our eyes and brain work together to show us the world we thing we are seeing!

The internet brings us a lot of useful things, and takes away a lot of the hassle. Can’t wait to be even more hassle free in the future, have computers installed in our brains and just think about things we would like to look up.

4. The idea of computer has actually revolutionized the world and our lives. Human does everything by using computers and the interaction between computers and humans have increased quite dramatically. Information is available within seconds by using internet and we can get to know so many things which we cannot by going through books.

5. When we think about computers having all answers, is it truly the computer having all answers, or is there some man power behind those answers? Don’t you think that us humans have uploaded those files onto the computer that allows other people to easily access them? So if you think about it, is the computer really giving you the answer?

6. While I agree that the internet is one of mankind’s greatest achievements to date, I would have to disagree that it makes learning any more fun. More interactive perhaps, and definitely less time consuming, but I enjoy learning from any source equally as much as I enjoy learning from the internet. It is also my opinion that computers make researching for long periods of time more taxing on the body and mind. LCD screens tire my eyes and the massive expanse of information available on the web becomes exhausting to me after a certain point. This class for example, I can not write for nearly as long on a blog post which necessitates links and images because these aspects demand I write my post on the computer, rather than use a pen and paper as I normally choose. The different sites used by this class also make for a perfect example of how so much information can be too difficult to keep up with. Trying to maintain three relevant blogs at the same time–while following multiple blogs by multiple professors–in order to make sure all assignments have been completed is mind-numbing. But the fact that humans have successfully created a way to collect so much information is awe-inspiring.