Working On My Voice… Blog Post

The paragraph I found comes in in the beginning of my project, as it summarizes some of the more tangible research and examples of my project:

One way in how the music industry is being affected is by how music is being marketed and how artists are exposing their music brand. In a world where topics on social media are being discussed at a rapid pace, music artists big and small have taken to the internet and platforms like Youtube, Twitter, Instagram and many others in order to expose their music. One such case deals with famous R&B singer Beyoncé .At midnight on Friday, December 13, 2013, she released a simple Instagram video announcing her self-titled album that was released without any other notice that day. Beyoncé’s method that was against traditional advertising paid off, and her album was a huge success. The news of the album’s quick release generated intense twitter feedback; it was reported that over 1.2 million tweets were posted within the first twelve hours of the release. The sales of the album were just as successful, with over 365,000 copies of the album being sold in the first day alone.

The reception of the album as well as the way the album was released has become an obvious example of how social media’s influence has affected the music industry. In his article written in the New York Times titled Beyoncé Rejects Tradition for Social Media’s Power, writer Ben Sasario predicts the impact of Beyoncé’s advertising methods, saying, “Though very few acts could attract the same attention as Beyoncé, the episode contains some lessons — and possibly a future blueprint — for the music industry. In bypassing the industry’s traditional promotional machinery, she demonstrated social media’s power to amplify news and to forge a direct connection to her audience.” Indeed, Beyoncé is a huge star whose following on Instagram was what made the success of her release possible. Even still, the idea of direct connection to her core audience is what made the method stand out.

This is one of the examples where I thought I was able to give some points on the use of instagram in Beyonce’s case.  Most of the information was factual research, so I felt like using my own voice was difficult. If anyone has any tips let me know!

Question for Professor Boaz- I was able to come into contact with a small time artist on twitter and was considering asking him some questions on what he does to get his music exposed. Could I possibly use his responses as part of my argument? and would i need any certain form of citation for it? Let me know please!

Real Estate Blog post

I myself have never tried to create my own website or blog space before, besides normal social media apps, I decided to go over the websites that were suggested to us. After checking out Weebly, Wix and Google sites, I ended up deciding on Weebly as the platform for my final Inquiry Project platform. Weebly offered many easy options to post different forms of media, as well as make the desighn of the website all my own. Many of Weebly’s features has the same our normal Thoughtvectors website has, been in an easier to see and notice way.

Research Trends Blog post

After going through my articles, I have come to the conclusion that I still have a lot of work to do, and that my research topic needs more focus on a main topic. Most of the information I have found seems to only delve into one certain aspect of the larger point of social media affecting music sales, but not enough to the point where it can become my main argument. I will continue through the next two weeks to find more articles that can become more closely related to my topic as a whole, so that I can give a well formed argument on my topic.

UNIV 200 Inquiry project

Research Nugget #7

Hu, V., & Buli, L. (2012, December 5). What Social Media Has To Do With Record Sales. Retrieved July 17, 2014, from Next Big Sound website: http://blog.nextbigsound.com/post/37277146054/ 
     what-social-media-has-to-do-with-record-sales 

What Social Media Has To Do With Record Sales

Abstract: The blog I found relates certain aspects from social media and songs and entire album sales. The research conducted took place overs period of 3 years, and in its research looked to discover what platforms of social media affected album and song sales in the present, as well as giving prediction on sales in the future based on these platforms. The blog uses categories such as radio and youtube plays, twitter and facebook fans and wikipedia page views to find correlation between this and sales of the music.

rsb pg

“What is perhaps most surprising here is the high correlation between Wikipedia pageviews of an artist with album sales. But the explanation is most likely a fairly simple one, consumers, internet-savvy as they are, are now typing artist names into search engines in order to find out more about the artist. The question is whether these pageviews are preceding the purchase of an album or simply moving in tandem? The appearance of MySpace on this list can most likely be attributed to the three years worth of data we are examining, but it will be interesting to see whether the site rises in importance once again, following the relaunch in early 2013. Radio plays also appear high on this list; to date Spotify does not publicly display play counts and this data is therefore not included in the study. “

Sorry about the screenshot being small, but all of the pictures in this blog can be found in the link to the page above! Moving on, the passage I found discusses how different platforms are helping with the sales of music. The finding that wikipedia has affected album sales in their first week is what surprised my the most. I love going onto wikipedia myself and looking up random pages on culture, and it seems that my love is also what other people love to do as well. The quick and easiness of going onto wikipedia and looking up an artist and a quick browse through their history and catalog is what seems to be attracting music listeners to artists. The information given deals with first week sales only, a crucial week to any new release. The wikipedia page gives fast info on a new breakthrough artist, something that may not be easily found by using another way to find out about them. The passage itself questions the usefulness of wikipedia in relation to sales, but I myself strongly believe it to be the case.

“Social media has a concrete and measurable impact on sales, certain metrics more so than others, and can serve as an aid to the industry when it comes to determining where to focus marketing efforts. People will hear a single on the radio or YouTube and buy it. But before they invest in a more costly album they want to find more about the artist via the artist’s website or Wikipedia. With the vast amount of information we now possess about the habits of listeners, we can harness the power of social media to not only drive sales, but also improve upon predictions of how an album will perform before it is even released.”

This passage comes at the end of the blog, but ultimately sums of the effect of social media as a whole. Authors Victor Hu and Liv Buli explain how each medium on the internet has affected each artist in its own way, and how each platform works as one entire platform that can be used to get more exposure and music sales. Hu and Buli conclude that we must continue to use social media in order to understand its effects as well as to predict what it can potentially do to music sales.

Concept Experience #6

1. It has been shown through research that feelings displayed on Facebook are contagious. If you see more positive posts than negative posts, then you start posting more positive posts as well.

1. The passage gives no signal phrase as to whose research is being cited or what its about and the links give no information on what it contains. The next sentence proceeds to give a quote without a signal phrase or quotation marks.

2. There have been studies done on Facebook and all the emotions related to posts. “We have enough power in this data set to show that emotional expressions spread online and also that positive expressions spread more than negative.”

2. The passage gives a small signal phrase by stating that its research is on Facebook but the quote is not cited and is not given any elaboration.

3. Researchers in a new study have found that feelings displayed on Facebook are contagious. They found enough data to show that “emotional expressions spread online and also that positive expressions spread more than negative.”

3. The “researchers” are not identified in the passage but the study is clearly linked. The quote cites that somebody had said the quote, but is only identified as “they,” but offers a small signal phrase.

4. In a new study, researchers from University of California, San Diego have found that feelings displayed on Facebook are contagious. Publishing a paper in the journal PLOS ONE, the team analyzed over a billion anonymous status updates from more than 100 million Facebook subscribers across the United States and found that positive posts beget positive posts and negative posts beget negative posts. They said that while both are common on the site, the positive posts are more influential. They concluded, “We have enough power in this data set to show that emotional expressions spread online and also that positive expressions spread more than negative.”

4. This passage is most effective through its clear use of understandable signal phrases that call back to the original source. The researchers from the University of California are immediately given credit for their work. The journal’s name is clearly stated as to where the paper was published. The researchers’ findings are more elaborated on and the quote that ends the passage begins with the signal phrase “they concluded.”

“Personal Dynamic Media” Nugget Post

After reading the Kay and Goldberg’s “Personal Dynamic Media,” it was tough for me to find an obvious nugget that could connect to music and media. The section that talks about music did not have any information that I could link to. After going back over the introduction and reading the first page again, I was able to find a nugget that I felt connected to blogging and word of mouth advertising for music.
“Devices” which variously store, retrieve, or manipulate
information in the form of messages embedded in a medium
have been in existence for thousands of years. People use
them to communicate ideas and feelings both to others and
back to themselves. Although thinking goes on in one’s head,
external media serve to materialize thoughts and, through
feedback, to augment the actual paths the thinking follows.
Methods discovered in one medium provide metaphors which
contribute new ways to think about notions in other media.”

The passage I found in Kay and Goldberg’s talks of a medium to store and communicate information, much like blogs and sites like Twitter  and Instagram create a library of pictures and messages that are followed with trending statements. In a previous nugget post of mine, I learned of how Beyonce simply used an instagram photo to announce the release of her latest music album in December of 2013. Beyonce is no doubt a huge star, and the feedback on twitter  and other social media was able to advertise the album for itself and resulted in huge sales.

The nugget I discovered in the article describes of how feedback augments the paths of thinking through the medium used. This compares to how the influence of Twitter was able to attract so many fans to Beyonce’s album through word of mouth. People were able to post about their discovery and use trending topics in order to let others know of the album.

Research Nugget #6

References

Peoples, G. (2013). The Rise Of Music’s Social Media Gurus. Billboard125(28), 30-31.

http://web.b.ebscohost.com.proxy.library.vcu.edu/ehost/detail?vid=9&sid=0db7f066-cbdb-4119-97c4-9bde0c5a099e%40sessionmgr112&hid=124&bdata=JkF1dGhUeXBlPWlwLHVybCxjb29raWUsdWlkJnNpdGU9ZWhvc3QtbGl2ZSZzY29wZT1zaXRl#db=a9h&AN=89439269

Abstract: The article summarizes the rise of social media management and how it is a growing. Social media is a new idea, and the music business is still learning how to use and profit from it. The author, Glenn Peoples, summarizes what the people who are running social media are going through. New strategies on when and how often social media is being used and the different aspects of different sites like Facebook and Twitter are affecting the industry. As the industry is continuing to grow, the industry is learning that there is not a specific style or skill that can determine success for social and digital advertising.

Whether their work is performed in-house or outsourced, social media marketing and community management specialists are generalists who must excel at a range of duties. What people end up seeing on Twitter or Facebook is the culmination of planning, creativity and communication. There’s a truism in social media: You can’t not do it. Followers must be acquired. Community managers, the people who interact with fans, must constantly engage followers with content. And followers should be given calls to action on behalf of sponsors or e-commerce opportunities.So labels have built in-house staffs dedicated to managing artists’ communities and providing the type of services that go with today’s 360-degree relationships. Many artist management companies also have in-house personnel, and what those employees don’t handle is farmed out to consultants and marketing companies with specific expertise. But it’s not easy. “It is super-labor-intensive,” says social and digital consultant Gretchen Fox, a former VP of social media at Live Nation. “People don’t realize that at first.”

I found this passage, and article as a whole interesting and worth researching as a whole because it shows the growth of social media into the larger industry of music. The passage I found describes how the idea of social media is undeniable and the industry must adapt or not continue. The industry is trying to keep up with advertising on the web and social media, and is looking for new and different ways to handle it. As the passage describes, many people are not aware or ready for what the job seems to demand.

I think this passage finds more importance because it is introducing a new profession that seems to be growing in the music and advertising industry as a whole. Internet advertising has been in existence for some time but it is continuing to evolve through social media, and education and schooling must be able to help prepare young adults for a career in that field for the advertising industry in the future.

What makes social media so hard is the necessary combination of technical knowledge, communication skills and passion. Solid tech skills are good, but marketers are unanimous in saying that soft skills are vital.”A community manager takes a unique skill set of being authentic and having thick skin,” Fox says. The right person can be responsible for direct communication with fans all day without being an alarmist or putting the brand’s reputation in jeopardy. They are also someone who loves consumers, is passionate about the brand and provides strategic advice to the client. “I know companies have a hard time finding that, because they’re hiring me.””I don’t necessarily look for somebody with quote ‘social media experience,'” says Jennie Smythe, president of Girlilla Marketing, a boutique agency whose current projects include Zac Brown Band, Darius Rucker and John Fogerty. She instead looks for an ability to produce content or creative experiences. “Anybody can be taught how to post on social media, but you can’t teach marketing intuitiveness. Just because you have a Facebook page doesn’t mean you’re a Facebook expert.” Vector Management director of digital marketing Jon Romero has found it difficult to locate new hires that understand music marketing and the online space. But he has had success bringing in interns and training them before eventually hiring them for full-time positions. “You have to train them on the ins and outs.”

This passage I found describes what the industry is looking for in order to handle the job of music advertising. Peoples describes through the interviews in the passage how the job doesn’t have a clear type of candidate, but one with a varied amount of advertising skills. The passage admits that many people must be trained in order to handle the job. This passage continues what I had researched in my last nugget in how the job of social media advertising works. The job as a whole looks for creative experience and ideas that can broaden the music’s audience.

Concept Experience #5

Facebook tinkered with users’ feeds for a massive psychology experiment

By William Hughes

Jun 27, 2014 3:30 PM

Scientists at Facebook have published a paper showing that they manipulated the content seen by more than 600,000 users in an attempt to determine whether this would affect their emotional state. The paper, “Experimental evidence of massive-scale emotional contagion through social networks,” was published in The Proceedings Of The National Academy Of Sciences. It shows how Facebook data scientists tweaked the algorithm that determines which posts appear on users’ news feeds—specifically, researchers skewed the number of positive or negative terms seen by randomly selected users. Facebook then analyzed the future postings of those users over the course of a week to see if people responded with increased positivity or negativity of their own, thus answering the question of whether emotional states can be transmitted across a social network. Result: They can! Which is great news for Facebook data scientists hoping to prove a point about modern psychology. It’s less great for the people having their emotions secretly manipulated.

I Struggle With The Same Question Everyday

In order to sign up for Facebook, users must click a box saying they agree to the Facebook Data Use Policy, giving the company the right to access and use the information posted on the site. The policy lists a variety of potential uses for your data, most of them related to advertising, but there’s also a bit about “internal operations, including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, research and service improvement.” In the study, the authors point out that they stayed within the data policy’s liberal constraints by using machine analysis to pick out positive and negative posts, meaning no user data containing personal information was actually viewed by human researchers. And there was no need to ask study “participants” for consent, as they’d already given it by agreeing to Facebook’s terms of service in the first place.

That Wasn't Too Hard Now Was It?
That Wasn’t Too Hard Now Was It?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sglZGSwK6ow

Facebook data scientist Adam Kramer is listed as the study’s lead author. In an interview the company released a few years ago, Kramer is quoted as saying he joined Facebook because “Facebook data constitutes the largest field study in the history of the world.” It’s a charming reminder that Facebook isn’t just the place you go to see pictures of your friends’ kids or your racist uncle’s latest rant against the government—it’s also an exciting research lab, with all of us as potential test subjects

After reading over the paragraphs, I found it kind of difficult to find certain words or phrases that would make great hyperlinks, so I looked for the author and other facebook related links in order to service that part of the assignment. I found a link to the author, Adam Kramer, as well as the paper itself. I tried to stay away from wikipedia, and also found a great photo on the funniness of uncles and the government, something I experience daily whenever I go onto facebook haha.

Overall, I felt that the information on the paragraphs was enough to support an abstract. I felt that the passage could have given more information on how facebook users were manipulated and would have given an example of a negative an positive emotional outcome due to the posts. I myself would have added some issues on the privacy of facebook overall, as I felt the passage began to delve into that aspect in the second paragraph, which I also treid to expand through my multi media. When I was adding multi media, I tried to stay a little bit funny as always, while still trying to make a point. I included a youtube video from South Park, more importantly the HumanCentIPAD episode. The episode’s concept and execution is vulgar, like any south park episode, but I think the situation when Kyle quickly signs his name on the document with reading the text is a great example of how people feel about the privacy settings on a social media site; most will quickly agree to let anyone see what they say or post without caring about the other smaller details. The episode is a great satire of that sort of situation, and is quite hilarious in the execution. My other posts still tried to remain funny and entertaining while showing the truth of how we feel about Facebook and other social media.

If my users don’t click my links, I would first be very angry!!!! Lol. But in all seriousness, my links add some information on the background of the author and research while giving a few pop culture and social arguments through the photos and video that are entertaining and easy to understand when it comes to this topic.