Concept Experience #3

“But when I digest the writings of another person, I find generally anyway that I have extracted from his structure and integrated into my own a specific selection of facts, considerations, ideas, etc.  Often these different extracted items fit into different places in my structure, or become encased in special substructures as I modify or expand his concepts.  Extracting such items or kernels and putting each on its own notecard helps this process considerably…(These notecards or kernels) provide a workspace for me in which I can browse, make additions or corrections, or build new sets of thought kernels with a good deal of freedom.”

Upon finding articles that were relevant to my inquiry topic about social media and music, and then bookmarking them in Diigo, Doug Engelbert’s metaphor can easily be compared to how his filing of kernels is like of the articles we have found. Engelbert references his new found ideas and thoughts as a note card that has been set aside for possible later use. Diigo gives us the freedom to save what we have found, as well as connect and expand our own findings to that of what other students have found while doing their own research, just as Engelbert is able to make additions to his own work.

When it comes to my own metaphor on how I collect my own sources ideas, etc. , I think of a web application I remember using when I was in grade school. I can’t remember what the application was called, but it was made up of typing information in different bubbles and connecting them to each other.

UNIVV
Doe Anybody Have Any Idea What This Was Called?

The web of bubbles would be connected with narrower and more precise ideas, and could be edited to connect to the appropriate topic. Like Engelbert’s kernels, these bubbles could have information added at any time.

As I read and digest other information, I remember adding information to the web of bubbles like I had on a computer so many years ago. And like a spider web, I feel like I am catching ideas into my library of knowledge as I read them. Some information may stick, and some may not.

Or Something Like That
Or Something Like That

5 thoughts on “Concept Experience #3”

1. I think what you have drawn is sometimes called a “bubble outline” or a “mind map”. It’s a graphical form of outlining, which many people find easier to create than what I think of as a “traditional” outline. My co-worker who used to work in the UK tells me that the graphical outline is what the schools teach and emphasize over there, not the indented textual form Americans tend to use.

Do a google search for “bubble outline”, and another for “mind map”; several tools appear near the top of the results, including bubbl.us.

2. I’d like to see what some of the bubble topics are in YOUR web of research now! See the assignment– where I ask you to talk specifically about some of your new ideas, insights, considerations in your metaphor.

3. I like your metaphors of bubbles and web. It enables other metaphors that you have used such as “to catch” (an idea) or “to stick” (an idea) which allows you to use very picturesque language. Good job!

4. Your metaphor of bubbles connected in a web closely resembles my idea of pools of thought. Mine was more of a stretch to make work while yours was much simpler….I’m jealous.

Regardless, I like your analogy to spider webs in that some things stick and others don’t. It portrays a realistic view towards how planning usually turns.

5. I like the idea of adding to a web! Diigo provides a space to map out all of our ideas and know exactly where each idea came from like a spider knows his own web. How could other people experience your web without getting caught?