audiographic MHIS243

Audiographic Project

Yiruma is the stage name for Lee Ru-Ma, a South Korean contemporary pianist. He was the first Korean artist to be invited to perform at the 2002 MIDEM in Cannes, France. This piece, Maybe, is the second song in his first album “First Love” in 2001. The music that Yiruma creates is in the middle of contemporary classical and new age. “Maybe” is the first piece I could sightread and became one of my favorite pieces to play more than a decade ago when I first started playing piano. It is a simple but peaceful and soothing piece that never fails to bring closure to the emotions of anyone listening to it.

Audiographic Project- Maybe

This section marks the introduction of the piece. Yiruma plays this on the grand piano with the right hand playing the melody while the left harmonizes and sets the rhythm. The piece is played at simple time with four crotchet beats per bar. The interpretation of the mood of this piece is based on what one is feeling at the time of listening to it, either melancholy or lighthearted. This is mainly due to Yiruma\\\\\\\'s use of anacrusis which eases the transition into each bar line.

This section of the piece really exemplifies the word "Maybe", its almost if the notes are saying "what if...what if..." but then settling into acceptance. Yiruma accomplishes this with the use of ritardando and playing the melody with flats, followed by a B flat and F on the left hand for the harmony. The choice of grace notes creates this softness in the texture of this section.

The piece is homophonic, but when only one hand plays the texture is completely changed. Yiruma doesn't use syncopation in any of this piece which creates that signature softness of all Yiruma pieces. This section is exactly the same as section one and section two. 

This section's melody is exactly the same as section one but the left hand is playing an octave lower. Yiruma adds an ornament in the form of a D flat E flat D flat B octave A flat rubato. The rubato with the addition of accelerando creates brightness in this section that differentiates it from the first section because of the quickness. This section almost feels like the rising action in a simple plot diagram.

The ritardando and diminuendo help transition the piece and change the mood to reflective and calm. One thing I noticed is that the melody has a large range while the left-hand rhythm plays the same chords on different octaves. The simplicity of the left-hand makes this piece simple for beginners to pick up and play. This section is similar to section three but with added ritardando to make it unique.

This section is similar to the ending of section five but the G flat at the end of the melody is omitted. To me, it sounds like this section is telling a story of an individual that went through a hard time but pulled through. This section also has the ornamentation that section four has which adds brightness to the section. The ritardando along with the slight ornamentation closes the piece fantastically.

Current Time: {{formattedTime}}

{{currentSegment.segmentName}} ({{formatTime(currentSegment.startTime)}} - {{formatTime(currentSegment.endTime)}})

MHIS243 soundinpainting

Sound in Painting

When I observe the painting, the first sound event that pops out at me is curiously the absence of sound from the observer in the middle of the painting. With all the sound events happening around her, I feel like the quiet nature of the observer is a sound event by itself. Following that is the perceived loud chambering of the dinner party along with clattering cutlery and I believe that a toast is being made. Along with the human sounds is also the tick-tock of the clock on the wall. The next sound event is the couple that is almost whispering to each other trying not to be heard. The open door or window in the back gives a sense that instead of the whispering echoing around the house that I get from the sounds emitting from the dining room, it gets radiated outside and thus not heard. On the topic of outside, I feel like because there are trees depicted outside, there would also be a rhythmic chirping or warbling of birds.

MHIS243 thoughts on listening

Thoughts on Listening Post #1

The first sound that struck me as musical is the almost gong-like sound starting at 0:04, after listening to it for a couple of minutes, it reminded me of how pizzicato sounds on a cello. I feel like this sound accomplishes the same task as what a bass drum often does, keep time. At 14:40 this sound truly transforms into a gong sound effect over the background of rain.

The second sound that I believe is musical is the violin at 6:50. It contrasts the gong and the repetition of it is a common arrangement in music. The contrast between the violin and gong create a satisfying texture and gives variety to the soundwalk. It is almost like the chorus to a song.

My third choice of sound is the piano at 42:45. The chord is enjoyable but the delayed fourth note gives an eerie feeling and draws in your attention.

Uncategorized

Hello world!

Welcome to Rampages.us.

This is your first post. Does it make you sad you didn’t write it? You can change that. Write something better. Change the world. You are lucky enough to be in a position to do that. Make the most of it.

A For Adventure - Wonder - Jackson Ward