James LaMantia Audiographic Project MHS 243

James LaMantia Project

Heitor Villa Lobos was a brazilian conductor, cellist, pianist, and guitarist in the 20th century. He is often named as one of the most significant individual in south american art and music. The song I have chosen to analyze is O canto de cisne negro. It was by far my most favorite piece from the concerts. This song was created in 1917 and can be played on cello, piano, violin, and a flute. 

This piece starts with a vibrant piano introduction with a fast pace melody. The piano playing is harmonious in form because it is repeating itself as this segment sets up for a great transition into the violin becoming incorporated. 

With the combination of the piano playing and the violin it creates a a sped up tempo. In the introduction the piano was playing at a fast pace and then the violin makes a intro that is truly exquisite. The violin creates an almost sad harmony with long strokes on the strings. However, this part is by far my favorite. 

In this segment rhythm, harmony, and tempo are all coexisting. The rhythm is alternating from high to low intensity while the tempo is speeding up and slowing down through the playing of the paino but then offsetting from hte violin playing. In this section the harmony is monotonic as the combination of the piano and violin provide us with a very rich listening sensation. 

After the sad and catchy melody is implemented the song takes an unexpected turn to a more complex melody. The song in this part has a truly dynamic soft to loud and intense alternations with a high and low range of sounds as the piano and violin fade in and out. The texture of this part is polyphonic as their are two different melodies coexisting as the temperature of this part is going from low to high and vice versa frequencies. 

As the final part comes to an end the conclusion of this song is a fade a monophonic melody. The tempo has ranged from high to low throughout the song but as the song reaches an end the bpm slows down.

As the song concludes and the applause was given I really appreciated this song in its entirety. It was a roller coaster of different sounds and melodies intertwining with its fast and slow tempo's. After going to the Experiencing-Villa Lobos Festival concerts, I can truly say I have become more appreciative toward music as I never realized how many different moving parts and instruments are existing in the same place to create music. The concert was definitely a wonderful experience, 

\"\"

Current Time: {{formattedTime}}

{{currentSegment.segmentName}} ({{formatTime(currentSegment.startTime)}} - {{formatTime(currentSegment.endTime)}})

MHIS 243 Thoughts on Listening

At 1:58, the use of this low-tone wind instrument strikes me an adequate base-line melody that I can use to write a musical piece. At 6:05, the use of the high pitch sound can be chopped to create a similar sound to a high hat. Which I may use to create a top-line melody. At 13:11, with the sound sounding almost like metal on metal can be elongated to create a snare. I can use that for a mid-line sound for intro and outros. It can be sued for a filler beat.

Skills, Dispositions, Insights, and Obstacles Reflection

After recalling moments in this semester, I saw that I made a large improvement regarding my academic status. I learned new skills that will affect my capability to learn in the future, grew my dispositions into extended them  into ways that are secured and received insight as well. But the most important thing that I can reflect on were my obstacles and how they are affecting me to this day, and how I will have to overcome them if I want to pursue this education.

To start, I came into this class knowing that it would be a challenge. But, I didn’t know that I would have a professor like Dr. Hale who challenged my thoughts and thinking into examining not only scrapping the surface but looking at other perspectives of ideas. A disposition that helped me out tremendously was starting. Starting was a key role into my success because the start is what sometime stops me. It was a catalyst into my decision making, it got my thoughts pouring out into the right direction and I am very grateful for that.

Some skills that I attained were looking deeper into the bigger picture and not always settling. Or being content. For example, my Inquiry Project I pose a difficult question and I always wanted to explore a hard question. In high school I would find the easy way out of a research paper, but this time I wanted to challenge myself. Another skill was the ability to work with my peers. The peers I was fortunate to work with helped me in more ways then I could have asked for. During studious arguments, it was a thrill to go back and forth with them. It gave me a reason to thinking critical.

The insights portion wasn’t necessarily a huge factor for me this semester. I like going into classes blindly, with no prior knowledge because it gets me excited. The return of learning something that you thought was never going to exist gave me inspiration. To further my knowledge and understand more complex issues. But with that being said, I did receive many obstacles.

I don’t always like to admit that I stumbled over obstacles but I did. And at this point I’m not afraid to expose them. Starting with wrapping my head around the  concept that what I think should be true, is not always true. I’m a hard headed person, and when people challenge my thoughts I tend to be dismissive and do not take them into account. But after having conversations with my peers and asking them questions regarding their ideas, I came to a better understanding of perspective. It was always a good thing to take other peoples opinions because they matter. They simply matter based on the fact that, people from different cultures and backgrounds of life can benefit me. The ability to take away a certain part of their life and how they see it can, will ultimately help me grow as a person. Because if I were to ever be put into a situation that poses conflicting thoughts, I know how to overcome that obstacle and make it into a positive impact.

Sources for Argument

After doing research and breaking up my question into multiple questions, I have chosen to separate my question into three concepts. I have listed URL’s to help me keep track of all my researched information.

1. Social media outlets in today’s society.
  2. What are social behavior habits that generation Z contain?
  3. Who is generation Z?
  4. And then sources that incorporate my overall question.

Talk about how different generations socialize.

Personal preference on how to communicate/socialize

Construct outline

1. Social Media Outlets: http://www.ebizmba.com/articles/social-networking-websites,
  2. Social Behavior habits: http://www.marketingprofs.com/chirp/2014/26050/get-to-know-generation-z-marketings-next-big-audience-infographic
  3. GEN Z: , http://search.proquest.com.proxy.library.vcu.edu/docview/1317617506?OpenUrlRefId=info:xri/sid:primo&accountid=14780, http://www.imediaconnection.com/content/27425.asp#multiview
  4. Other:

First Argument Paper

Growing up in a household where love was the sole aspect of my childhood, it has guided me through my life and now I want to know how. These two different emotions that I care to explore are two different feelings. One being the ability to have such a strong feeling of gravitational force that you always want to be with, and the other having so much disgust that you can never stand it. I grew up in a family where love is everything, family is everything. Never once was I taught how to hate something but yet I am finding that I due hate a rare few of aspects that occur in my life. But how was I able to figure out that emotion if I was never taught it? It has to be how my childhood transpired and how I was able to gather enough information of feelings to reach my conclusion. But, that’s just my childhood. I want to further explore how upbringing affects each emotion.

I feel that my question is important because it is the infrastructure for the rest of one’s life regarding love and hate. It’s the groundwork to how we respond to each feeling, and how we portray it. I find it very interesting that a child can grow up with not knowing what an emotion feels like, but yet growing out of your childhood you know how it feels. The significance of my question revolves around how a child’s setting is during their juvenile years. It has to do with many factors regarding their parents, home life, and even the world around a child lives in. Someone in Northern Virginia, like myself, can how a totally different view of love and hate comparing to someone who lives in California. Or is it the same? It is important to me to obtain the proper research because it does matter. It matters because these emotions will affect us for the rest of our life, it will be taken to our grave.

The central idea orbiting around my question is how we respond to our childhood and how we can make an inference at a young age. An inference that we don’t realize what it is until we start asking the question “How did my childhood affect these emotions?” We are born into a world knowing nothing, with no availability to experience an emotion. That is important because we somehow interpret what emotions mean to us, and how it touches one’s mind.

To culminate what I’ve been trying to convey, is that my question serves as a stepping stone to how we act in our years after we breakout out of our childhood. It is significant because it provides a thought process of how each child’s upbringing is different, and how the ultimately affects their emotions of love and hate.

Nugget Experience- Personal Dynamic Media

” Although thinking goes on in one’s head, external media serve to materialize thoughts and, through feedback, to augment the actual paths the thinking follows.”

This nugget stood out to be because it speaks in volume and exposes the truth. Thinking is something that is imperative that we all do, infact a individual has over 4,000 thoughts a day. Which doesn’t mean anything unless we store them. And we store them their mediums like computers, phones, any type of media outlet. What Kay and Goldberg mean by this line is that the ability to gather a idea in one’s head has a purpose, and that purpose is to be captured on some sort of outlet that holds its safety. With that, we can further do whatever we see necessary with that thought. Their idea of using media for materializing thoughts serves as the groundwork to further explore and captivate certain thoughts.

Nugget Experience- Ted Neslon

“Computers are simply a necessary part of life, like food and books”

In this day and age, computers are becoming more of a necessity than ever. It is becoming a way of life that cannot go unnoticed. I think its very telling when Nelson compares computers to food, because obviously food is something that we all need to sustain life and perform at a high standard, and now computers are the next food. We use them on daily basis, use them to research and complete work, and use them for leisure.  Not only has computers become a new way of life, but it is helping us become smarter individuals based on the fact that the internet allows us to compute and receive information. Computers will continue into the next generations and will only serve as a benefit rather than something that is holding society back from evolving.

Inquiry Project Question

My question that I have chosen to explore is “How does a childhood impact a child’s view of love and hate?” I chose this question because they are opposite emotions and it’ll pose difficult barriers to understand the question. I didn’t want to choose a question that I had previous knowledge of, I wanted to pick a question that will give me the opportunity to think deeper into the question and discover what it really means to define love and hate. This question is suitable to reality because it poses many angles and views that I can research from. I am looking forward to taking many perspectives into the question, which I will have to remain as open-minded as I can be. Because I want my answer to my question to be thorough and in depth. I would like to stay away from the common answers of just listing what are the impact factors, but better yet how it affects a child growing up and becoming a adult. My question will give me grave difficulty in how I go about scavenging for answers, but I’m up to the challenge because I have been thinking about this type of question to write about.

Nugget Experience #3- “Augmenting Human Intellect”

“Augmenting man’s intellect, in the sense defined above, would warrant full pursuit by an enlightened society if there could be shown a reasonable approach and some plausible benefits”

I think its interesting to say the least that Englebart would incorporate that line after explaining what augmenting human intellect is in his own word. I choose this line because its honest, and it serves as the infrastructure to any given question. We wouldn’t pursue a problem that doesn’t give a realistic procedure and a positive impact to society. Why? Because it has no plausible sense to do so. If humans were just wasting their time figuring out a problem that doesn’t have a return on their time then why do so. In my opinion, Englebart is right. With an enlightened society with tools and resources at hand we should focus all our time and effort into what really matters, and from their more questions will evolved and the process will be everlasting.