Coming to a Close

Since I have made it successfully to the end of my freshman year at Virginia Commonwealth University. I would like to do a reflection on how this UNIV class has helped me now and in the future. When I first came into college, i was nervous because I know that a lot of professors try to use scare tactics on their students. But, when I walked into UNIV 111 with Professor Galligan it did not feel that way, it felt different but in a good way. I knew that he was not out to get us. There were some things that I had to get used to. For example, all of the assignments, deadlines, and the critical thinking. Although it was an adjustment, this class taught me to be open minded, to think critically, and to have better time management. In order to be open minded, you must be accepting that people are different from you and you must accept them for who they are. Coming into this class, I had to look at things from a different perspective and learn to be open minded because there were many people who had different opinions than me but although I did not agree, I still learned to work with them, which shows maturity. As far as thinking critically, I never truly analyzed things for what they were but being in this class has taught me how to do that. With the readings that were given semester caused me to think deeper than just looking at surface meanings and messages. For example, one of the readings that stuck out to me the most was “Black and Blue” and it talks about Garnette Cadogan. This reading talked about how everything he experienced moulded and shaped him into the person he is today. Now of course, everyone knows that but even the smallest things make a difference. For example, when Garnette Cadogan was walking down the street, the police saw him as a threat because of what he was wearing. This made me think about how I carry myself and how people view me based on how I talk, dress, and present myself. Being in this class has also taught me time management. Time management has taught me to avoid and delete distractions in order to focus on what I had to do and be successful. With the writer’s memo it showed me how much time I actually spent on the assignments. Knowing how time consuming they are, this also helped me to focus on the nitty gritty. In closing I want to thank Professor Galligan for being the best professor ever and Jessica for being the best UTA any student could ask for.

Coming to a Close

Time is of the Essence

Now that we are entering the end of the semester and the end of freshman year—it is time to look back and reflect on some things. When I first came to Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU)  I was very excited to get into college, get into my major, meet new friends, and truly become who God has destined me to be. With coming to VCU I knew that there were going to be some major adjustments that had to be made. For example, with me coming from out of state, I truly had to get used to the fast-paced city. I mean I did not live in the country before coming down here but it was not as “open” and soooo many different people as it is in the city. I feel like VCU is in a weird area to be completely honest. For example, you look at West Franklin Street and Laurel and Grace Place and it is gorgeous but as soon as you turn the corner and keep walking down Broad street you enter the ghetto. This raises cause for safety concerns. However, VCU is still a great school with many opportunities but it is very expensive. I heard that they were raising tuition to $55,000 per year for out of state students! What?! This is unbelievable!!! I was thinking about transferring before I heard this though because I like VCU but I do not feel as connected to the school as I should. I think it’s time for me b=to broaden my horizons and look for a new experience. I am excited that I am transferring because I will be in a new state, meeting new people, and learning new things. Although, I am going to miss the amazing people that I have met here. But, I must do what is best for me wand not anyone else. At the end of the day, I have to be the one getting the degree and going into the workforce, not anyone else. So with that being said, I must be at a place where I am able to connect with my surroundings and the people around me. This is not to say that everything at my new school will be peachy clean but I am up for a challenge in order for me to come out of my comfort zone and embrace new opportunities. The best is yet to come!

For the Love of Money

I am sure you know exactly how to say this saying. “Money, money, money, money, money!” “The love of money is the root of all evil”- 1 Timothy 6:10. We are living in a world where “cash rules everything around me”(C.R.E.A.M) is so relevant. People will literally do anything and everything to get money. I understand that some people are struggling but the evil things that are done to get money is unacceptable. For example, there have been many people killed because of money. This should never happen. The first thing we tend to do when we are mad is have a terrible temper and resort to a gun. Over money?! Unacceptable. You even have rich people doing evil things for more money. When I think of the love of money, I always think of a classic song called “For the Love of Money” by the O’Jays. It was written in the year of 1973 and it still relays a huge message that goes on within our society today. It talks about people will steal from their own mothers, kill their brothers just for a piece of green paper and how women will sell their precious bodies. Wow, money literally rules the world. I feel like we as a people hold money to a way higher standard than it should be. It is very sad but so true about how many people have lost their lives due to a situation with money. Now, let me make myself clear, I do not want anyone to think I am saying that money is bad because it is not. Money is a necessity in order to take of yourself and your family. Money only becomes bad when you have the wrong motives and evil intentions behind it. Money does not buy happiness. Now yes you can buy things that make you happy with money but it does not buy happiness because you can be happy without money. We must come to a point where we know what to do with our money and what not to do with it. You can do whatever you please with your money but, please use it wisely and think before you spend your money. If you are not wise with your money, you can get into debt, lose money, and struggle. In order to be wise with your money, you must save and begin to build and invest in your savings in order to get more money.

Summer Blues

A little bit over a month of school. About five weeks left of school. I can hardly wait. My freshman year was one for the books! Well, it was truly a learning experience for me and I would not trade it for the world. I learned that I not only have to manage my time better but also how to do so, which is very important in college and in life in order to be successful and have fun. I also learned that I have to choose my friends wisely. Now yes, I have always heard this saying growing up into becoming the woman that I am today but I never really had to apply it until I got to college. Everybody needs to be cautious of the people that they call their friends. Always realize your true friends. Also, coming here I have learned more about what happens in the city and different places surrounding Richmond, Virginia. I have learned a lot about myself as well, my likes and dislikes, my passions, my attitude, the moulding and shaping of Miana (myself), and how to deal with different situations in a mature way. I am grateful for every experience that I have had at VCU. It has truly allowed me to mature and grow into the woman God wants me to be. Although I am thinking about transferring in the fall, I believe that God had me here for a reason. I was here in order to show love to others and teach them about The Lord. I am ready to take a new journey in life and I look forward to keeping in contact with, encouraging, loving, and supporting my friends who are here at VCU. Just because you start off at one college, it does not mean that that is where you will get your degree from and that is okay. As long as you continue to do what you need in order to reach your goal, you will be okay. At the end of the day, you have to go to the college that best suits you and your major. Don’t ever go anywhere because your friends are there or because your family wants you to go there. You have to do what is best for you because you are the one that will have to be at the university or college taking and passing the classes not anyone else. I hope this blog inspires someone and remember to finish the semester out strong! We are almost there 🙂

Transfer Student?

So this weekend I went to North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University. I went there for their Open House. I have been thinking about transferring for quite some time now. I like VCU but I do not feel as connected as I should be to this school. It was very fun and interesting. I was picked up from school on Friday and I drove to Greensboro. I was kind of getting irritated while driving because my dad was sitting next to me (which I wanted him to) and my mother was sitting in the back because sometimes she gets nervous. Anyways so I’m driving and she’s like “Watch out for this!” “Whoo Whoo, slow down!!” And in my mind I’m like “Ma, calm down. I got this”. I was just getting irritated because she said she was going to sit in the back and go to sleep but as soon as I get into the driver’s seat, she’s wide awake and giving her input which was the same thing my dad was doing so I didn’t need a re-iterator. But, my mother is my girl/my best friend so I know all of the stuff that she does it is all out of love. On Saturday morning, we all woke up early and drove to NCAT. I absolutely loved the school. I like how the campus is more contained and the atmosphere is better for me, personally. But one thing I can say about both VCU and NCAT is they both have great connections and resources for their students. They will hook you up with good internships for your major and future career. I know there is an ongoing debate about HBCUS vs. PWIs and this is how I feel: you need to go to a school that best suits your major and supports you for who you are as a person. It does not matter about which college you go to (for the most part) as long as you get a good education. Although I may transfer to NCAT I believe and know that God had me here for a reason even if it was just only for one year. I know God brought me here to minister to, encourage, and support people that I have came in contact with each and every day.

The Negative Effects of Technology

Despite many positive effects of technology, there are also negative effects to technology. Technology has issues involved that causes people to be malicious and have a lack of compassion towards others because a lot of people in today’s world tend to laugh at others pain and suffering without any sympathy. This causes people to put up a front and hide their emotions because they feel as if no one will care to help them. Technology also causes people to have low self-esteem and along with that technology used as a tool and being misused has abused a lot of people and a lot of people have lost their lives behind technology. For example, there are many adolescents who are constantly on social media comparing themselves to others saying, “I wish I had the money to afford that Gucci or Versace belt he is wearing,” “I wish I could be light-skinned because lighter skin is prettier than dark skin.” and/or “I wish I had as many followers as they do.” When teenagers say things like this, it causes them to have a false sense of hope as if the people with “money” and “followers” that they see on social media have better lives than they do when they can be just as unhappy as they are. However, the pictures you see on Instagram, Snapchat, and Twitter hides the pain they may be experiencing.
The increase in technology has caused a division in relationships. This is a prime example of what is causing people to have a lack of communication skills. Adolescents especially lack communication skills because they are so consumed with their electronic devices that they prefer communication through text or having a conversation over the phone rather than having a conversation face-to-face. This creates a problem in job interviews; people are becoming more comfortable with communicating through the phone, it is challenging for them to sit through an interview without feeling the urge to reach for their phone and check their notifications. A big component that I think the younger generation is missing is communication skills because when they communicate via social media or with the tools they use, you really can’t get a sense of who the person is, and they give you a false sense of who they are. Another issue that derives from a lack of communication skills within the younger generation is a lack of attentiveness and focus. For example, a student could be having a serious conversation with their friend on FaceTime and their friend will miss key information because they are doing other things on their phone then, the person will constantly ask “Are you listening?”, “Are you still there?” and the other person will respond by saying “Wait, huh? What did you say? I was doing something, I’m sorry.” It is imperative that we, as a people resemble acts of compassion to maintain relationships.

Positive Effects of Technology

Have you ever thought about the effect technology has on society? Technology has a major impact on people’s lives all over the world. The world has had a number of technological advances over the years. Some of the technological advances include: cell phones, computers, cars, trains, planes, and other technology-invested items and models. Although, there are positive effects of technology, there are also negative effects. However, you must be aware of how much technology you utilize on a day to day basis. Technology is the use of people, objects, and tools to simplify the world around them. The amount of technology in the world has increased dramatically in the most recent years. With technology becoming more prevalent, it is improving the quality of life, helping people to function better, save time, and a plethora of other things. With technology improving medically, is it important that patients get their suggested vaccines such as, influenza, tetanus, meningococcal, and the human papillomavirus vaccine. In 1886, the first car was invented, in 1804, the first train was invented, and in 1903, the first plane was invented. With these different means of transportation, it allowed people to travel at a reasonable amount of time. Since cars, trains, and planes are being improved daily, people are now able to listen to music, watch a movie, play games, travel with heavy luggage, and more. With vehicles like minivans, these are used for a great cause to better the community by transporting things to different locations. Technology has also improved communication and has improved education systems all over the world: “Education is the backbone of every economy. Many schools have started integrating educational technologies in their schools with a great aim of improving the way students learn. Technologies like smart whiteboards, computers, mobile phones, iPads, projectors, and internet are being used in classrooms to boost students moral to learn.” (Ramey, Karehka.) Having these amazing factors available, students can learn from teachers all over the world, while sitting at home in their pajamas, and in an environment that is suitable for them.
There is a growing access to the different means of transportation. In the past, people used to walk and ride bikes to get from place to place. Transportation has a major effect on today’s society. Nowadays, it takes just a few minutes to get on the bus, catch an uber, lyft, or taxi. This is helpful to people who do not own vehicles and people who cannot drive. With people carpooling in taxis, ubers, and lyfts saves the world from pollution.

Spring Break Excitement

Spring Break…we are officially two days away from spring break. I am so excited I do not know what to do! Spring Break came at the perfect time. But I must say, this semester is simply flying by. I cannot wait until I go home. I plan to go to church, get my hair done, hang with friends, and maybe work for a few hours (although I really do not want to). I am looking forward to seeing my sister and our parents. The only thing I do not like about breaks is that some teacher still assign work over break. Don’t get me wrong I am grateful for Spring Break, however, we should not be assigned work over a break because if I am doing the same thing that I would be doing if I was in school, that is not a break. But nonetheless, very excited for where spring break will take me 🙂 and I pray it goes by superrrrr slowwww. At one time in college, over spring break, I would like to go on a trip with my friends maybe to Daytona Beach or Miami. Maybe I will do that next year :). Sometimes I wish all colleges had the same break so that way all of my friends could hang out together as one big happy family, rather than all of us coming home at different times. I really hope my parents have chill attitudes over this break rather than getting irritated when I do certain stuff. But one of the most things I am excited about over spring break is the fact that I get to shadow a detective (my future job) and I get to be on a live crime scene actually looking at and picking up evidence. It will be a long day though, I am shadowing the detective from 5:30 AM-1:30 PM on the street and then we go into the office from 1:30 PM-4:30 PM. I hope I won’t get tired so I have to make sure I go to bed really early the day before, and trust me my mom will make sure of that. I wonder what it feels like to actually be on a crime scene for so many hours. Is it exciting? Is it thrilling? Is it scary? Is it boring after you do it so many times? I guess we will have to wait and see. But I really wonder what type of crime scene I will be looking at.

One of the most hateful experiments in history

The Tuskegee study began in 1929. A request was made from the Julius Rosenwald fund and the United States Public Health Services (USPHS) determined that in Macon County, Alabama had the highest syphilis rate over six other countries at that time. With these findings, they wanted to test the prevalence of syphilis among blacks and explore the amount of syphilis among African Americans. The Tuskegee Study began in 1932 going through the 1970s by the USPHS. The test included 400 syphilitic men, as well as 200 uninfected men who served as controls in rural Macon County, Alabama. They were told that they were being tested for “bad blood”, however, they were left untreated, eventually dying.  Because of the exposing of the study, this study is now a perfect example of unethical conduct in medical research because in 1942, when penicillin was known as a treatment of syphilis, they still did not give the patients penicillin to cure their syphilis. This also turns the study from a “study” to an “experiment” because they are basically testing waiting to see when the syphilis patients to die. Not only is this unethical but it is also cruel because the patients are thinking that they are receiving treatment for their illness, however, it is going untreated. This is not only unfortunate for the patients but also for their family members. The infected men pass it onto their wives and the pregnant wives pass it onto their children, which causes more people to be infected with syphilis. This makes it more challenging because it is harder for babies to fight off infections because their immune system is still growing and developing. If penicillin was never introduced to treat syphilis, there would be an even larger syphilis outbreak and countless people, especially babies and young children would have died.

New illnesses have been found due to untreated syphilis. In the Tuskegee study it was found that if there is syphilitic involvement in the cardiovascular system or the central nervous system, it turned out to be the leading cause of death in 30% of the infected patients. It has also been revealed that this study was also racist. Notice how it was only African Americans involved in the study, they were also lied to because they were initially told that they were being treated for their syphilis, but they never received treatment and even after medication (penicillin) was known to treat syphilis, they still do not receive treatment. If you are involved in medical research, your job is to help those with illnesses, not just sit there and watch their health deteriorate. With patients finding out about this hateful experiment, people are more careful and skeptical of certain doctors they go to, receive medication from, and allow to perform procedures on them. Since this and other studies and experiments have been exposed, hopefully the medical profession will continue to improve, not just through better technology, medications, and machinery but also through trustworthy medical staff.