Get rid of the stigma associated with complexion

Colorism is a big issue within our society today and we must not only address it but fix the issue. There are many people all over the world with different complexions. And every shade is beautiful. Yes, every shade. I remember being in my government class in the tenth grade and we watched a video called “The Doll Test” on YouTube. It showed a picture of five girls ranging from very light to dark complexions. The young children were asked questions such as “Which doll is the pretty one?” “Which doll is the nice one?” “Which doll has the skin that you want?” but “Which doll looks just like you?”. This test showed how some young children are raised to judge others about the color of their skin, whether it be through their parents, TV shows, movies, and modeling shows. Most children said that the white doll was the pretty and nice one. However, one of the black girls said that “It does not matter what is on the outside but what is on the inside”. This was a very pivotal moment in the video because although a lot of children are taught directly or indirectly to think that the lighter your skin is, the better you are, there are some parents who go the extra mile to really teach their children that all shades, shapes, and sizes are beautiful.

Although, some children are taught indirectly through television shows and movies. For example, on Disney Channel shows such as Good Luck Charlie, Hannah Montana, The Suite Life on Deck, these shows portrayed white families shown as your ideal and successful families. Overtime, children are taught indirectly to think that white must be superior and privileged. Even on the modeling runways, and mall advertisements for JC Penney and Macys you used to always see Caucasians modeling clothes or walking the runway. We must get rid of this notion that because you are brown or dark skinned that you are inferior to Caucasians when we are all created equal and we bleed the same color. Society has a way of knocking us down and putting us in a mental stronghold of reaching success. However, we cannot continue to allow society to do this. In order to fix the problem, we must rise above the occasion and achieve our goals no matter what anyone says. So I encourage you to feel empowered, no matter the color of your skin because you are royalty.

3 Replies to “Get rid of the stigma associated with complexion”

1. I definitely agree with you that colored women should feel empowered and that society’s standard of beauty should definitely be changed. I know from when I was younger I did not see many colored families represented on television as successful and accomplished families. I never heard of the video you mentioned but I was not surprised by what majority of the children said. But I was surprised to see what the one little girl said regarding that it “matters what is inside”. I believe that many people ty to think in this way but deep down they do not necessarily feel this way just because of how society is. I believe that TV networks should work harder to show more diversity in their shows. I will say that I have noticed a change recently when it comes to TV shows showing diversity, but there is still much work that needs to be done. Regarding the modeling issue in society that definitely needs some fixing because there should be more representation of different shades, shapes, and sizes in the modelling world. With anything this will all take time and active participation of those who “control” these beauty standards in the world.

2. The video you mentioned in this blog is something I watched as well in school. It was very discouraging to watch and listen to when the children identified personality traits with a certain skin color. You can be nice and pretty no matter what race. I do believe that the movie, TV, modeling, and other industries are realizing that diversity and equality is important. People of color are beginning to be more prominent in the acting and modeling industry. This is helping end the old society stigma of darker complexion is bad and bringing in a new and needed social norm that every complexion, religion, and disability are all equal.