Time is of the Essence

Now that we are entering the end of the semester and the end of freshman year—it is time to look back and reflect on some things. When I first came to Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU)  I was very excited to get into college, get into my major, meet new friends, and truly become who God has destined me to be. With coming to VCU I knew that there were going to be some major adjustments that had to be made. For example, with me coming from out of state, I truly had to get used to the fast-paced city. I mean I did not live in the country before coming down here but it was not as “open” and soooo many different people as it is in the city. I feel like VCU is in a weird area to be completely honest. For example, you look at West Franklin Street and Laurel and Grace Place and it is gorgeous but as soon as you turn the corner and keep walking down Broad street you enter the ghetto. This raises cause for safety concerns. However, VCU is still a great school with many opportunities but it is very expensive. I heard that they were raising tuition to $55,000 per year for out of state students! What?! This is unbelievable!!! I was thinking about transferring before I heard this though because I like VCU but I do not feel as connected to the school as I should. I think it’s time for me b=to broaden my horizons and look for a new experience. I am excited that I am transferring because I will be in a new state, meeting new people, and learning new things. Although, I am going to miss the amazing people that I have met here. But, I must do what is best for me wand not anyone else. At the end of the day, I have to be the one getting the degree and going into the workforce, not anyone else. So with that being said, I must be at a place where I am able to connect with my surroundings and the people around me. This is not to say that everything at my new school will be peachy clean but I am up for a challenge in order for me to come out of my comfort zone and embrace new opportunities. The best is yet to come!

2 Replies to “Time is of the Essence”

1. I definitely agree that VCU is in an odd spot. Like you said one minute you’re on the beautiful campus and the next you’re dodging bullets. It is crazy that they raise tuition but I have heard talk of instead of raising tuition they would raise the fees. But I must say college is what you make it. A lot of my friends said VCU wasn’t their first choice for me it was in my top 3. Honestly if it wasn’t for one of my friends telling me about VCU I probably wouldn’t have applied but I’m glad I did. I truly hope that you make your next school your home and you find your path there. I always tell people that if that school doesn’t feel right then it might be time to go. A lot of times we go off of the hype and don’t look into details of a school but that how life is too. We always go off of the hype of things for example parties and don’t think that a fight could break out, somebody starts shooting, etc. but we still go because we know it’s going to be fun. So have fun at your next school. Time really has flown because this time last year I was getting ready for prom and graduation. Don’t let anybody deter you from your own success and keep at it!

2. I agree with you VCU is very diverse and also can be dangerous because of the outside community it’s in. After the shooting that happened a couple of weeks ago I get paranoid walking by there at night because I’m used to walking there almost every night to go to my friends house and I feel like it could’ve been me. So dealing with that is hard but I love the city plus I’m from here so I can’t see myself leaving. But with your situation being and out of state student I can understand where your coming from. Also the tuition is high enough as it is now so I can see why you wouldn’t pay more than you are. But I hope you find a new school where you feel connected and hopefully you can have the time of you life and now worry about getting shot!!