Recreational Data Visualization

As is probably painfully obvious to anyone who has met me, have a lot of “Rubik’s” cubes (hardly any of my ‘speedcubes’ and twisty puzzles are actually Rubik’s brand). In my spare time, I practice solving a basic 3x3x3 speedcube like this one.  My general goal is to get faster. My mean solve time these days is around 26 or 27 seconds. Given that the current world record is 4.59s and the world record average* is 5.80s, I still have plenty of room for improvement.

In an attempt to track my progress, I have been keeping a spreadsheet of all of my solves and what date the solve occurred on.  I have some very basic charts in the spreadsheet tracking overall distribution and a time trend. I just thought I’d mention this here because, although not social science in any way, shape, or form, I may still play around with this data as I am learning data visualization tools. I’m always happy for feedback on my personal projects, so if there are any interesting ideas for analyses or visualizations pertaining to this data, I’d love to hear them.

*In speedcubing competitions, a competitor’s “average” is a trimmed mean, averaging the middle 3 of 5 solves by ignoring the fastest and slowest solve.

2 thoughts on “Recreational Data Visualization”

1. That’s interesting stuff. Funny how things like that come back around. I’m still waiting for my Rubik snake to make a comeback.

What might make this more interesting to me would be an additional variable.

How do your times change as you move from 3x to 4x etc.?

How do your times change based on how much you practice/sleep/exercise the week prior?

Does eating foods with different glycemic indices impact speed?

Clearly, I’m just spitballing but I think introducing a variable would make for ways to look at things other than just expecting gradual improvement over time.