The mask

In middle school, I was known for popularity and getting a long with everyone. One day at lunch, I saw a girl I never seen before sitting a lone in a hoodie with a ponytail and glasses. her name was Sabria and I invited her to come sit at my table with my friends. I could tell she felt uncomfortable because she didn’t really know any of us, so I started to make conversation to loosen her up. After, I invited her to my house to hang out and so she could make a friend. She was extremely shy but after seeing how open and goofy I was she began to open up and let me in. We ended up always hanging out and going to the movies. Sooner or later she became my best friend, but she had a lot of problems at home. Her dad was Italian and her mom was Jamaican and moved around a lot. Her dad became sick which was really bad because he was the only one with a job and who could drive. I felt really bad for her so I told her she could stay with me since she basically did live with me from how much she was over my house. My mom ended up buying her school clothes and supplies so we basically matched all the time and people always thought we were sisters. Sabria and I were two peas in a pod and I never let anyone pick on her. We argued sometimes but never enough to break us apart, she was a sister to me. Meanwhile, time flew by and we were about to start high school but not together because her address was in rolling meadows even though she lived with me. Instead, we found a loop hole and found a way for her to attend high school together. When I tried out for the cheer team so did she even though she never cheered in her life. She ended up quitting because she said it was to hard and she didn’t have rhythm. I started to notice she always did what I did instead of finding what she was into, but I didn’t mind because it was nice having someone to do everything with. Meanwhile, I got my first boyfriend who was a junior but that didn’t break up our friendship. Sabria and my boyfriend would call each other brother and sister since sabria was like my sister. My first boyfriend was who I lost my virginity to but ended up breaking my heart. I no longer liked him but sabria and him stayed close. One day, I was headed home from practice and did a drive around the block when I saw my bestfriend kissing my ex-boyfriend. My family and I gave her everything and now she wanted my first boyfriend too. Sabria and I stopped being friends because she had sex with the guy who took my virginity and I felt like she wanted to be to much like me. Even though we stopped being friends throughout the years she copied my looks and try to talk to the same people as me. If I died my hair she died it the same exact color. I couldn’t take it anymore I didn’t want someone exactly like me anymore. I learned no matter how nice you treat someone they can still stab you in your back. I was friends with her for four years and she could do that to me. It taught me not everyone is who you think they are and not everyone deserves kindness. that shy girl I once met was now a mosquito ready to drain the life out of anyone.

One Reply to “The mask”

1. Oh I could relate so much to this blog about the whole best friend wanting to be just like you. At first, I always thought I was being a bit dramatic or just petty, but then I really realized and knew it wasn’t me. I had this friend who I was technically born with, as our birthdays are only a couple days away from each other and our family’s were close friends. Throughout our childhood, we did everything together. Whether it came to joining the same clubs, to school, or friends. We always made decisions together, but then I noticed around middle school when things started to be different. She started to do everything I did, whether it was dressing like me, talking like me, acting like, and doing the things I liked when she used to complain about it all the time. She then started to talk down on me as if I was lower than her, and started bringing up embarrassing things about me when we were in front of people. At first I just questioned it and blew it over, but then starting high school was when I was really at my reaching point. Many things happened and after multiple fights and blowing it over, I finally decided to cut the friendship as it was toxic and brought me down so much. To this day, I appreciate all the memories I had with her and wish her the best in life, but as of now, I couldn’t be happier than I am today.