Advocacy speech

Aiyana Jones
UNIV 111
Professor G
12/2/18 Writers memo
I spent a lot of time out of class on this paper since the first draft. The video helps me see where I need to change certain words or rephrase it to flow better. I always known women are treated different because I see it at work and in the community but the articles I read taught me different acts that can protect women and stories of women dealing with mistreatment. I didn’t use the same topic as my op-ed, but the difference is I use more ethos, pathos and logos. I also get to speak from a persuasive voice in a different writing form from the op-ed.
I didn’t make a lot of changes, but I did revise. I switch my second and third paragraph in my speech. I used better transitions with my evidence and fixed my spelling and grammar throughout the paper. On the other hand, I had to re word a few sentences, so I could direct my audience a little nicer, so they would want to read it. My peer review group didn’t really help me, so I went to Professor G. Professor G told me to do all the revision I made and told me to fix my APA format. I didn’t reject anything he told me to do. The changes made it flow better from a persuasive and informative paper.
The global aspect I am most confident about is the paper like I literally fell in love with it as much as the first paper. The part that I’m most concerned about is the delivery because its kind of long when I read it and I don’t want to go over time. The local aspect I’m most confident about is how in worded it and the changes I made for the flow. I’m most concerned about that I didn’t use a lot of “according to research” like professor G ask me to.
If I had more time I would work on memorization and using big words because I don’t know my paper that well and I have a hard time working on pronouncing. It would probably take me an Aiyana Jones
UNIV 111
Professor G
12/2/18 hour or two to work on these changes. The difference from writing from the “ear” and “eye” is that you write more educated for the eye but for the ear can be explain simpler and still get the same point across. I notice from my speech it can be sum up to give the same message by revising a few sentences for the delivery.

Aiyana Jones
UNIV 111
Professor G
12/2/18 Women’s work
When you look at a woman’s job, do you see her as a nurse, a teacher, or even a stay at home mom? These common stereotypes are put in our society to remind us that men are the “superior” gender. Men are the ones who are working and doing the hard labor to pay for the bills and the groceries. Women are known as caregivers who take care of the child and of the household. Women in this society don’t usually do hard labor because they’re not as fit as men. Women have dealt with discrimination in the past decades without receiving the same equal right as men until the 20th century. In the past, women couldn’t even have a voice or an opinion, but times have changed. Even though there has been a significant shift in society regarding gender and women are gaining respect, there is still a long way to go.
Men have a sense of being in control if it’s at work or at home. Men seem to only accept a woman in the workplace if she is interested in the same sex as him, or if not harass female workers. Gender maneuvering explains how the meaning of race, body size, and seniority impact the contains tradeswomen face the cultural resources available to them for resisting gender boundaries. I argue that the presence of women in male-dominated jobs threaten the perception of this work as masculine (Denissen 382). Our society is stepping on women’s evolution in the economic structure just to divide jobs with certain title and who it should be open to. Men are branding tradeswomen as lesbians instead of a just as a woman to neutralize them as a threat (Denissen 382). There have been several cases of women being harassed and being viewed as weak and not willing to do the jobs at Hand, or not strong or smart enough to work or deal with chemical hazards. Women would be insulted by men who would say “aren’t you man enough” or “too heavy?” instead of being charismatic with their employee. A lot of Aiyana Jones
men can be blocked or become insecure because of a decrease in wages, job security, union power and social regard that these group of men become resist of entrance to women work because they simply see it as a Man’s job ( Denissen 384). Women are scared to do a job because a man doesn’t find her worthy to do the task or simple don’t want to deal with the harassment that takes place. Trades women get a reputation of being “sexual harassment lady” or “looking for a law suit” when they complain but you need a cooperation with tradesmen for the task because many individuals seek sexual control over women ( Denissen 387). Women may be seen as weak but don’t let a look persuade you that they are not capable of doing anything man can do.
In the workplace of men, you see them doing stuff with heavy chemicals or hand on work such as construction or landscaping. These jobs aren’t just made for men it can be for women who likes to get their hands dirty as the next man. When People work in such employment they have certain acts that protect them when working with certain chemicals or hard labor but I’m only going to talk about two. They have the OSHA act which protect workers’ rights and long-term solutions for regulating workplace hazards. Also, the osha act requires employer to comply to mandatory safety , health standards, and general duty of work place safety(Quinn 6). On the other hand, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 is a federal law that prohibits employers from discriminating against employees based on sex, race, color, national origin, and religion. Women employees who do “men’s work” deal with a lot of problems in the workplace. Women are known for having children but in certain workplaces it is known as a problem. Employment policies bar women of childbearing age, or pregnant women of having a job(Quinn 8). Meanwhile, Jobs also offer fetal vulnerability programs for employers to inform the employee of known hazards and conditions if the employment and force the employee to sign a waiver of all legal rights to sue for reproductive or fetal harm(Quinn 20).The alternative of this program are to require women to consent to practice birth control, or to secure an abortion upon conception(Quinn 20). This program doesn’t protect you it protects their business if a problem would arouse. They try to take our choice of what women were known to do since the beginning of time. This program violates Title VII that requires pregnant women to be treated as non-pregnant women under threat(Quinn 6). 20 million jobs in this country may be involve exposure to violate Title VII(Quinn 1). Men get nervous when seeing a woman doing a job that they thought were made for men, so they put up every wall to kick you out of that workplace. Employers can use the OSHA act for general duty clause to justify excluding women from certain jobs or departments consider hazardous chemicals(Quinn 6). What about the men who have children who go home with those chemicals over their body when they hug their child? Employers require to make it safe for all not just women because a fetus is not an employee (Quinn 7).The problems in the workplace with women is being over looked and the Acts aren’t the only problem.
This problem has a solution, but I will need women to stand up to these men and demand the respect and their rights given to them in the workplace. According to the U.S. bureau of labor statistics data for 2017, women make up 2.3% of the work force in skilled construction trades that is a number that hasn’t changed since 2011 data was released (Hall 38). That number hasn’t been changed because women get fed up and decided to quit because research shows women complain about their safety, isolation and the sexist men who run the businesses (Mansfield 65). Isolation can be fixed with women being paired up with other women ( Hall 40). Furthermore, Research shows that training programs for sensitive comments to avoid harassment but such programs can be costly but that is why they offer them online to employers ( Hall 38). Management can require workers to take certain programs, but they need that voice that women are trapping away because this 2018 and you can voice your opinion as well as any other individual. Women also seem to have problem with certain tools that are too big for them. PPE can get you tools that properly fit men and women with smaller hands for better and safer work (Hall 40). All employees should learn the same safety training for better workplace(Hall 40). Women usually can increase job satisfaction and enhance their physical and emotion well-being (Mansfield 64). Research shows women more focused on social aspects of their jobs, while men valued autonomy and achievement (Mansfield 65). The workplace can be more satisfying if you use your voice and ask for these changes. Improving working conditions must be established and enforced by management, with the help of unions and other work organizations. With such policies in place women can look forward to safer, better paid, and more satisfying work in whatever occupation chosen (Mansfield 78). Men and women can take control by voicing their opinion and if your employer doesn’t take what you say into consideration go higher up until you get what you deserve.
Women deal with a lot of discrimination and harassment in male dominated jobs but doesn’t make them better or you less of an employee. Women can work as hard as a man in the occupation that they choose. Women have struggled to maintain an image of power since America has been created. The battle for equal rights for women has only recently been put in the spotlight, but if we continue to raise awareness and fight for what we believe in changes can be made.

References
Quinn, J. F. (n.d.). Business, ethics, fetal protect policies, and discrimination against women in workplace. Retrieved from https://www.jstor.org/stable/27799982?seq=1#metadata_info_tab_contents
Mansfield, P. K. (n.d.). The Job Climate for Women in Traditionally Male Blue-Collar Occupations. Retrieved from https://link.springer.com/content/pdf/10.1007/BF00289317.pdf
Hall, M. B. (n.d.). Respecting tradeswomen. Retrieved from file:///C:/Users/aiyan/AppData/Local/Packages/Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe/TempState/Downloads/Respecting_tradeswomen.pdf
Denissen, A. M. (n.d.). GENDERED HOMOPHOBIA AND THE CONTRADICTIONS OF WORKPLACE DISCRIMINATION FOR WOMEN IN THE BUILDING TRADES. Retrieved from https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/pdf/10.1177/0891243213510781