Kara M Parker, MSN, WHNP

DNP ePortfolio, Virginia Commonwealth University

Extraordinary-the Healthcare Leadership Podcast

I selected multiple episodes to listen to over a few weeks from seasons 1 and 2 of this podcast.  I found this to be a valuable leadership podcast.  Overall, I appreciated the ideas shared.  Most concepts were those we studied… Continue Reading →

Book review: Daring Greatly

The central theme of the book Daring Greatly, by Brene Brown, is vulnerability and is discussed in a variety of situations from parenting to business relationships.  From a business perspective, the authors offer several valuable concepts.  One is to listen… Continue Reading →

Book review: Leading Change

John Kotter explains eight steps for creating change in his book Leading Change.  I found the concepts not only applicable to change endeavors but also applicable to strong leadership in general.  I especially appreciated the differentiation between leadership and management,… Continue Reading →

Heard documentary discussion

The documentary Heard was inspirational.  Several members of the Richmond community told their stories about life growing up in the projects.   Two main themes resonated with me.  First, everyone has a story to tell.  It is important to listen… Continue Reading →

Book review: Goals

The main topic of Goals by Zig Ziglar is goal-setting.  I chose to read this book to learn about general goal concepts I could apply to patient care.  As I read the book, I found myself reflecting on motivational interviewing… Continue Reading →

Coaching for Leaders podcast

I highly recommend this podcast for DNP students.  The host interviews a variety of highly regarded leaders who provide perspectives of people “walking the walk.” I found the podcast episodes reinforced what I learned in our leadership class last spring… Continue Reading →

Strengths Based Leadership

My classmates and I read the book Strengths Based Leadership, by Tom Rath, this summer for our residency 1 course.  After reading the book, we completed an on-line self-assessment called “Strengthsfinder” which ranked our top five out of a total… Continue Reading →

Book review: Influencer

This summer, I read the book Influencer by Joseph Granny, et al.  The authors provider real-life, relatable examples throughout the book, including healthcare setting examples.  And so, I found the book relevant to the DNP pathway.  Among valuable advice in the… Continue Reading →

Setting treatment goals and assessing goal attainment

An area I want to add to my practice, hopefully as a team, is methodical goal setting during patient interview and counseling.  My idea is that if each provider identifies and documents one single most important treatment goal with the… Continue Reading →

Measuring patient satisfaction

I read three articles about measuring patient satisfaction to gain a better understanding of a formal meaning of patient satisfaction and methods of measurement. Each article gave me a lot to think about as I plan my DNP project.  I… Continue Reading →

« Older posts

© 2021 Kara M Parker, MSN, WHNP — Powered by WordPress

Theme by Anders NorenUp ↑