I will use Ted Nelson’s phrase as my biggest inspiration:

“Technology is an expression of man’s dreams. If man did not indulge his fantasies, his thoughts alone would inhibit the development of technology itself” – Ted Nelson

It goes well with what I chose to talk about in this second nugget. I’ve been reading and making research and I thought it would be interesting to talk about 4K a little bit so I chose my nugget on that. I think it’s also a little bit contrasting to my Nugget #1.

Four times the detail of Full HD

4K means an incredible level of detail. A 4K picture projected on a cinema screen contains 4096 × 2160 pixels (or tiny dots). That’s over 8 megapixels (million pixels)…or four times the number of pixels on your Full HD TV at home (1920 x 1080 pixels).

And you won’t need to worry about pixelation – even if you’re sitting in the front row at your local multiplex, you won’t see a single pixel. 4K TV pictures have a resolution of 3840 x 2160, slightly lower than the cinematic version.

It’s not a huge difference. But it’s worth knowing.

(source: http://www.sony.co.uk/pro/article/digital-cinema-what-is-4k )

I chose it to be the 4k definition and in comparison to 2k. These are the “new” technologies that are prevalent today not only in move theaters, but also in our homes, in our TVs. What I find very interesting is that you can have the quality of a cinema theater in your home now, which would have been only a dream a few decades ago. Now we have that possibility; sure, it is sort of more expensive and sure, if you don’t have the proper TV size you probably won’t be able to experience it fully, but still, these technologies have come to improve how we perceive thing with our eyes on the screen.  Some say that it is so high quality now that it surpasses our own human capability. It is not realistic anymore. It is an exaggeration of reality. What do you think?

I also found this quote from another article and I wanted to relate to one of my peer’s project about the Macbook Pro:

“It’s already happening day in and day out. If you use a current iPad, you’re looking at ultra high resolution – same with a 15-inch Macbook Pro with Retina screen. Our eyes and brains are getting attuned to ultra high resolution in our day-to-day life.” 

I find it interesting how the visual experience has changed for us over all these years. The first images on televisions or movie theaters where from such a low quality and now we have something beyond HD. The human mind and creativity has gone far, and I am wondering how far can they get it. Because I can’t imagine what would a person that only knew the first years of TV would think if he or she sees the new screens. Imagine for a second how astonishing that would be. And the first audiences, how could they imagine that someday the people would be able to watch things in formats such as digital 3D, and experience movies like Avatar or Interstellar, for example. Imaginatively, that would have been just a dream back in the day.

Rettrieved from http://33.media.tumblr.com/b4ddff9430546a7fe7b3c69d5c020dba/tumblr_mw62toe9Mi1r9nm7io1_500.gif

Retrieved from http://media.giphy.com/media/TeB2L5FyFJcli/giphy.gif

One comment on “Nugget #2

• Your sources seem to be very helpful to your topic! You seem to know quite a bit of your subject and know what direction you want to be headed. However, I would like to hear your thoughts on what you believe the technology of televisions will be like in say…10 years or so!