I almost forget to publish this post. What I basically have in mind for my inquiry project is the change from 35 mm film to Digital technology in movie business. How digital has changed the movies and the way they are distributed. I would probably mention about 2k and 4k technologies too.

The dreamers I chose were Doug Engelbart, Ted Nelson and Alan’s Kay and Adele Goldberg. And it’s interesting because I’ve been reading other posts and I don’t feel like I can relate to any of them. Nevertheless, there are a few blog posts that I found helpful because we chose the same dreamers, although the topic doesn’t really relate I chose the words of these bloggers to expand on my dreamer’s ideas (you can see original posts in the first sentence of each one):

Kay/Goldberg:  

• Enthusiastic thought about computers
  • When given the right tools, people can do anything – this I can quickly connect with my inquiry
  • laptops are very beneficial to the world

Concept #1 — Consideration of the future

• Kay and Goldberg’s focus on the future is very social. They want to make computers accessible to a larger range and diversity of people. It seems their reasoning for spreading dynabook’s is for social integration, they see the immediate passing of digitized information as the future of communication and advancement.

In my interpretation, this relates to a SOCIAL CONCERN- –> Filmmaking becomes accessible for all kinds of people with digital formatting. Unlike old fashioned film, which is expensive and takes more resources to use.  I can incorporate those ideas to my inquiry project.

This also relates to what the author of these following paragraph writes about:

Technology as a New Medium.
Kay and Goldberg view computers as a new “medium of communication which [allows] ordinary users to casually and easily describe their desires for a specific tool.” This technology allows for users to express themselves in a different medium which paper or other materials can not. Licklider takes this further and aims to ” let computers facilitate formulative thinking as they now facilitate the solution of formulated problems.” This means that instead of letting technology just be a technological extension of man, but something that function and operates along with man. (I won’t be using Licklider for my project though)

There’s a lot that I can relate to Kay and Goldberg but Ted Nelson can enter the conversation too:

“Technology is an expression of man’s dreams. If man did not indulge his fantasies, his thoughts alone would inhibit the development of technology itself” – Ted Nelson

And Engelbart says: “We can begin developing powerful and economically feasible augmentation systems on the basis of what we now know and have”.

In general, my approach has to do with the changes in the way things have been done for a long time and the improvement of those for humanity’s sake and effectiveness. Technological changes occur all the time and have an impact on society as they shape it and change it.

And I also want to add that, as in the beginning of the semester Dr  C. told us, sometimes you come up with such good ideas that you want them to stay in some kind of permanent source so it can be consulted and reviewed as many times as one desires. This idea happens to apply to movies too. I would talk about movies the same way that you could talk about books, periodicals, scientific journals or newspapers. Movies are a way to document social environments and history. In the same way that we write and reflect on the past, the present and the future of technology, movies do the same in a screen while we watch them.  And nowadays, we have access to a ton of movies in streaming devices and the web itself.