UNIV 200 Final Reflection + Project

The original intent of my paper was to explore the relationship of technology and how it shaped the fashion industry. My goal through the research that I was doing was to show how technology positively impacted the fashion industry. What made the structure of this research paper interesting was that I had to find a counter argument as well as a “solution” to the counterargument or the problem at hand. While I did find many positives to technology such as how technology improved the industry through manufacturing and innovation I did find some very clear counterarguments to my arguments. Most of my sub claims were things I already knew about either technology or the fashion industry so the research process was not as extensive for me in that regard.

It did not take a lot for me to find the main sub claims and researching them did not require a lot of digging deep. What I did find hard was finding credible sources that would work for this assignment. Since the fashion industry is not the most scholarly industry finding scholarly articles was a bit difficult for me. That was the most time consuming work for me. Luckily I was able to find scholarly articles on through a google search. Through this project I was not able to use the library data base to find a lot of my sources. Because I could not find a majority of the sources that I wanted through the library online database I was originally very discouraged with my topic. Through the research process I had to be very careful about the wording that I used in the search. The key words that I used could not be exactly what I wanted to find but would eventually lead me to the articles that would work for what I needed them too.

Once I found the sources it was time to make source reviews and create the matrix from there. The source reviews even though were not fun to create at the time ended up being very helpful for me in the long run. The fact that I was able to take the source and summarize the information for how I needed to use it ended up working to my advantage in the long run. What I did not find whatsoever was the matrix. The matrix was supposed to include the strongest sources and have them hit certain criteria in the source review. None of my sources that I used could fit this criterion. I was very frustrating to create and was defiantly one of my weaker assignments. Ultimately because my source reviews and annotated works cited was fairly strong I did not have a strong need to use the matrix.

During the actual writing of the paper was when I truly got a feel for the brunt of the writing process. Creating the sub claim paragraphs were not very hard and this is what I started doing as my first step. I did not start with writing the introduction because I knew if I tried to write the introduction that it would get discouraging for me. I started by creating the sub claims and the headers for each of the paragraphs as my first step. When I started to write my counterargument is when I got a true feel for my paper. With writing the counterargument I had to acknowledge one of my main sub claims. One of my counterarguments is that fast fashion is harmful and not good for the environment. The main claim was that the technology involved in mass production helped to boost the fast fashion industry. This two contradicted each other but I had to include that as one of my counterarguments. This was a big turning point in my paper because it allowed a solution to my counterargument. This solution was sustainability. Sustainable fashion was a great tie in to both my main claim and my counterargument. It supposed my main claim while also being a solution to my counterargument. This was ultimately a great end to my paper.

Now the translation from the research paper to a multimodal project. I was very confused as to how I was going to transition this paper into another representation. My original thought was that I was going to make a collage or a mood board. I felt at first some sort of pressure because it was a more artistic topic so I felt the need to make my project an artistic representation. The mood board is a common project in the fashion industry so I thought that it would tie in well. This on my part was going to require a lot of Photoshop. The more I thought about it the more that idea was becoming unsettling to me. One day it it hit me that I wanted to make a video for my project. I decided I wanted to make a fashion haul because that is a popular video in the age group that I am trying to appeal to on Youtube. I wanted this video to highlight all of my main claims, my counterargument and my solution. I knew I could highlight all of this through a haul video. A fashion haul goes along with one of my main claims of how social media positively impacts the industry by gaining more exposure and making a profit. During the video I was going to highlight the trendy clothing from a fast fashion company specifically Forever 21. I was going to building up the clothing that I showed in the video only to find out on the description on the tag that the products that I brought are actually very harmful to the environment. The girl that is hauling the clothing becomes enlightened that even the clothes she loves that is trendy is in reality not that great. At the end of the video is where the sustainable fashion comes in. This sustainable fashion brand is Patagonia. The tag in the Patagonia jacket talks about how this item is a sustainable option. This video to me is a great way to indirectly talk about my topic that appeals to my audience. It includes all of the important parts of my paper that were then touched on in my video.

Rampages UNIV 200 Letter

My expectations for UNIV 200 is that it will be a slightly more difficult course than 112 but it will focus more on real world college research paper writing skills. I have come to this conclusion mainly because I know what to expect for UNIV 200 because I have seen friends in the class that have completed assignments. We touched on skills in UNIV 111 and 112 such as writing a research paper and completing multimodal assignments. The course of how we write our papers such as the drafting process and the revision process will be something I will utilize in UNIV 200.

In UNIV 111 I felt like I could get away with writing a paper the night before but specifically in UNIV 112 there was more of a focus on the drafting process and there were due dates for each page of the various drafts we had. This was a method I had to get used to in 112 because my preference of writing is to write the entire rough draft at one time so that I can get all my thoughts out. I felt that in 112 there were more individual presentations which helped improve my public speaking skills. I am not sure if public speaking is a large aspect of UNIV 200 but if so we had much preparation in both UNIV 111 and 112. One The points of interest on my rampages would have to be some of my multimodal work because I think that would be the most interesting to see how is supplements with my written work. There are photos along with YouTube videos which would be more interesting to look at than my written rampages. I was really pleased with myself with that post because I found videos that very clearly defined my topic and conveyed what my essay stated.

The rampages of mine that should be avoided are pages such as my presentation topics that are bullet point based and would not make sense to the reader but make sense to me because it was an aide to a presentation. I mainly kept work related to F.I on my rampage and not my other classes because with being a fashion major we are required to have another blog which is a tumblr page where we post photos along with related content. I also thought that working on group projects using rampages was semi difficult because unlike google docs not all members of the group could be presently working at one time only one person can be posting on rampages.

Rebecca Lee Crumpler – Oral Presentation

Rebecca_Lee_Crumpler

• ‘A Book of Medical Discourses’ was the first medical publication written by a African American. 
  • Its was debated for many years as to who was the first black woman physician was and it was later known that it was Rebecca Davis Lee Crumpler. Rebecca was born in 1831 in Delaware. She came from a family of slaves but was born a free American. (blackpast) When she was younger living in Pennsylvania she would help out caring for she sick neighbors.  She practiced as a nurse for 8 years untrained without a medical degree. She got her college degree at New England Female medical college. This was special her because not many African American women at the time had access to college and colleges did not accept them. In the end she received her medical doctorate. She was the first African American woman to graduate from this college. After getting her degree she practiced in Boston a while before moving to Richmond, Virginia. She moved to Richmond, Virginia after the Civil War in 1865. Her motive for moving to Richmond Virginia after the war was to help with missionary work while also helping women and children. (Changing the Face of Medicine).
  • bookReconstruction_teaser
  • During the time after Rebecca Lee Crumpler moved to Richmond Virginia Richmond was experiencing a Reconstruction period after the Civil War. During the Civil War Richmond was the capital of the Confederacy. Following the Civil War Richmond was destroyed as the Confederate capital and taken back by the Union. (HistoryNet) During this period President of the Union Abraham Lincoln freed the slaves before he was assassinated in 1865 in Washington, D.C. There was military intervention in the southern states by Union troops to ensure order and compliance during this time. In the south during 1867, Congress started taking a more radical turn during the Reconstruction period and override President Johnsons rulings. This allowed for the Union to have more of a stronghold on the seceded states. (HistoryNet)

• Weird Sisters – Beating the Stereotypes
  • Entered a field that was unfamiliar to African American Women
  • Did not let being an African American woman stop her from working in the medical field

Uranium Mutimodial

http:/https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rK67Dj1jyc8

Uranium played a key part in this bombing because uranium’s isotope, Uranium-235 is the only naturally occurring isotope that can sustain a nuclear reaction (Pappas).The nucleus of Uranium is unstable and is in a constant state of decay.

http:/https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJE-cL7wgEc

Uranium can give of a green and yellow florescent effect when it comes in contact with other additives such as glass products. This kind of glass is what is known as “Vaseline glass”. There is an entire gallery in Japan dedicated to Uranium glassworks in the Uranium glass gallery.

http:/https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8sAkMQmOlU

It has been researched that as far as radioactive rocks go, uranium is not the most reactive of them all. Uranium- 238 has a half life of 4.5 billion years and Uranium- 235 at 700 million years. Polonium actually rivals Uranium for being the most reactive element. Although not the most reactive Uranium can still bring a lot of potential to reactions (World Nuclear Association).

Goals for Spring Semester 2016

1. Stay on top of my reading – For the coming semester I would like to stay on top of the readings not just in FI but in all my classes. I would like to finish Radioactive early while on break because I did give myself enough time to finish Secret History of Wonder Woman. This is important to be because if I stay on top of my readings then it will overall benefit my performance in the class. Managing my time better on break will help me to finish reading Radioactive so that I will be ready for the coordinating assignments in the spring.

1. End procrastination! – This will be a tough one for me. This applies to all of my classes but especially this one. Writing essays, the night before is no fun but I feel like this class did a good job of stretching it out but alas I still managed to defy the system. During fall semester I tended to work on drafts the night before but next semester I want to start the essay as close to its assigned date so I don’t save it all for the night before. Even though our essays were not incredibly long this semester, in the coming years I know we are talking 10+ pages which would be less than enjoyable to write the night before. This goal is very important to not only my grade but my mental health so I am not stressing myself out the night before. I plan to designate certain periods of time on different days so I don’t have the entirety of my writing to do all in one night.

1. Revise my work! – This is a goal that I am defiantly not good at but I hope to improve upon it. Usually I get lazy and do not revise my essays to the fullest extent. I did this fall semester in both my UNIV 111 class and in some of my other classes. I am sure that if I really took the time to revise my essays I would have received better grades on some of them. Next semester I am going to make it a priority to revise all my work to the best of my ability. I will also seek revising help from others if I need it so that my work can be seen by more than one set of eyes. Before I turn my work in I will try to revise it at least once to check for errors.

Lying – The Psychology behind Liars

1423148499_brian-williams-zoom Rachel-Dolezal-NAACP-Spokane-1

NEW YORK, NY - OCTOBER 11: Actor Stephen Rannazzisi attends The League press room at 2014 New York Comic Con - Day 3 at Jacob Javitz Center on October 11, 2014 in New York City. (Photo by Daniel Zuchnik/Getty Images)
NEW YORK, NY – OCTOBER 11: Actor Stephen Rannazzisi attends The League press room at 2014 New York Comic Con – Day 3 at Jacob Javitz Center on October 11, 2014 in New York City. (Photo by Daniel Zuchnik/Getty Images)

Is all lying done with intended malice or is there true psychological reasoning behind why people lie?

• False memories
  • Munchausen syndrome – sympathy for exaggerated condition
  • “Future Truth” – New York Times article
  • “neural overlap” between imagination, memory and empathy.
  • Antisocial personality disorder

What I need to find:

• What specific disorders affect my topic/ how they affect it

• Sources: 

http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2015/04/nbc-news-brian-williams-scandal-comcast

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/09/17/the-psychology-of-why-people-like-steve-rannazzisi-lie-about-having-survived-911/

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/06/health/06mind.html?_r=0

Sources needed: More academic, databases

Source Conversation + Works Cited

Interviewer & VCU student – Kate Bogert

Carolyn Kitch – author, Destructive Women and Little Men: Masculinity, the New Woman, and Power in 1910s Popular Media 

Jill Lepore – author, The Secret History of Wonder Woman 

Robert Luketic – director, Legally Blonde 

Mark Waters – director, Mean Girls 

Kate Bogert is a college student writing an essay on gender roles and how the media has influenced them through history and present day. She is interviewing her sources to find out information on the topic.

Kate Bogert: Around the 1910s through the 1920s there was a very sharp contrast of gender roles in society between males and females. What did this look like during this time? How was it shown in the media?

Carolyn Kitch: Feminism was getting under way during this time as women were starting to have a stronger footing. Femininity and masculinity were going head to head as feminism was rising so was the opposite. There was a trend in overbearing masculinity and each side was portrayed in the media during this time.

Lepore: There was a pushback on females in media during this time. A woman who worked in media, Annie Lucasta Rogers faced discrimination in media for being a woman during this time period. Who was Annie Lucasta Rogers? She was a published cartoonist in the New York Call. Her comics mainly centered around suffragist themes and were feminism related. When she went to get a job for Hearst and be published they told her there was “no use for women in her particular line of work and no use in any other”. This caused her to change her name in her comics to Lou Rogers to sound more masculine. (Lepore, 84)

Kitch: That definitely goes along with the idea that the media was trying to portray a more masculine image at this time so they didn’t want the feminists getting in the way of it!

Kate Bogert: So when women were portrayed in the media what did that look like? Were they portrayed in a good or bad light?

Lepore: Lou Rogers comic “Tearing Off the Bonds” portrays a woman that is tied up in rope with a script printed on the rope that reads “Politics is no place for Women”. (Lepore, 85) She is also wearing a hat that says “Sprit of 1000,000 women votes” The woman is slowly tearing off the rope to imply that women are slowly gaining political footing and tearing off their restraint. This definitely put women in a positive light in the media.

Kitch: The Gibson girl was also one of the first independent women to portrayed in the media. The Gibson girl’s beauty was supposed to be very powerful and make men cower at the sight of her. She is known by historians as being one of the first representations of a strong woman in the media. The Gibson illustrations portrayed men in a negative light as some of the scenes would portray men as kites with women flying them. Other scenes in the illustrations showed men being bullied and threatened by their wives. These illustrations promoted the idea of masculine women and emasculated/ feminized men and a reversal of their roles. (Kitch)

Kate Bogert: So far I have seen the media influence the gender roles in positive and negative ways. What was a common goal that both genders wanted to achieve in the media?

Lepore: Not just in what was seen in the media, the people who were in charge of the media and controlling it wanted power. As seen when Hearst did not want to give Lou Rogers a job they did not want to see women taking over positions and having a say over a man. (Lepore, 84)

Kitch: I would definitely agree power for sure. What we see here is a power struggle. Who can look the strongest and make the other look the weakest and who will be the one to ultimately come out on top.

Kate Bogert: So from all this I gather that there defiantly was tension between the two genders back in the day of Marston and the Wonder Woman comic. We have grown a lot in a society since then but I can tell you that being a teenager I have spent a lot of time on twitter. Twitter is a form of media that influences my life a lot and I am constantly exposed to it. With Twitter you can put out any idea you please at 140 characters or less and in this day and age it is very easy for people to speak their mind. One account that is sparking controversy is the @Menist twitter account.

Lepore: looks puzzled You mean a Menist like a Feminist?

Kate Bogert: Yes that is exactly what I mean. A menist is a man that is less progressive that ‘supports the rights of men’ and is against women’s rights because they think it will get in the way of theirs. This account on twitter claims to be a parody account but some take it seriously while others use it as a joke. Either way it reinforces the gender roles and stereotypes which are dated.

Carolyn Kitch: What are some examples of these so called Menist tweets?

Kate Bogert: I will tell you that there is a good number of them that are derogatory towards women and the rest just promote men being the ‘stronger’ sex. Many young people view these tweets as funny and promote them by retweeting and favoriting them. One tweet in particular that enforces the gender roles from that account is “I hate when people say women should stay in the kitchen… how are they supposed to clean the rest of the house?”

Lepore: mouth agape looking appalled I cant believe that! That tweet pretty much goes against everything that feminism believes in and is fighting for!

Kate Bogert: One reason I think this account is gaining a lot of attention is that even though it is seemingly meant in good fun it defiantly takes a radical stance against feminism. I think they are trying to parody radical feminists in general that keep popping up these days.

Carolyn Kitch: That tweet has a lot of retweets! It goes to show the impact that media can have both back and the day and now even though it might not be in the same way. It is also interesting to see how the medias influence on gender roles is targeting a younger generation as apposed to adults back in the day.

Kate Bogert: That is one example of social media but there are other forms of media as well such as movies. There are two movies in mind when I think of movies having an influence on gender roles…

Waters: Mean Girls has a very strong presence when it comes to influence of gender roles. Practically all teenage girls love it! Mean girls has the classic “popular” girls and the pretty boy jocks and shows that women are concerned with attracting males and how they look. This movie was meant to be a parody of the stereotypes but none the less showed how women could “dumb down” themselves when it comes to males which gives them the sense of overall authority.

Luketic: Speaking of being “dumbed down” my movie Legally Blonde showcased how a pretty blonde who cared for her looks and getting a man could ultimately realize her potential and worth through going to law school. This movie was also a parody but showed how a girl could defy her gender role which in turn had a positive influence.

Kate Bogert: Both of these movies are iconic in pop culture today! I hope more of the media produces media that goes against the stereotype of gender roles or brings to light that they need to change.

Works Cited

Kitch, Carolyn. “Destructive Women and Little Men: Masculinity, the New Woman, and Power in 1910s Popular Media.” (1999): n. pag. Northwestern University. Web. 25 Oct. 2015.

Lepore, Jill. The Secret History of Wonder Woman. New York: Knopf, 2015. Print.

MenistTweets. “I hate when people say women should stay out of the kitchen”…how are they supposed to clean the rest of the house?”. 19, Jan. 2015. 1:17 a.m. Tweet.

Michaels, Lorne, Tina Fey, Mark S. Waters, Lindsay Lohan, Rachel McAdams, Tim Meadows, Amy Poehler, Ana Gasteyer, Lacey Chabert, Lizzy Caplan, Daniel Franzese, Neil Flynn, Jonathan Bennett, Amanda Seyfried, Daryn Okada, Wendy G. Bricmont, Rolfe Kent, Mary J. Fort, Cary White, and Rosalind Wiseman. Mean Girls. Hollywood, Calif: Paramount, 2004. Film.

Platt, Marc, Ric Kidney, Karen M. C. Lutz, Kirsten Smith, Robert Luketic, Reese Witherspoon, Luke Wilson, Selma Blair, Matthew Davis, Victor Garber, Jennifer Coolidge, Holland Taylor, Ali Larter, Anthony B. Richmond, Burgoyne A. Brandt, Garth Craven, Rolfe Kent, Sophie R. Carbonell, and Melissa Stewart. Legally Blonde. Santa Monica, CA: MGM Home Entertainment, 2004. Film.

Source Conversation Full Draft

Kate Bogert: Interviewer, VCU college student

Jill Lepore: Wonder Woman Author

Carolyn Kitch: Destructive Women and Little Men:Masculinity, the New Woman, and Power in1910s Popular Media

Lepore: There was a pushback on females in media during this time. A woman who worked in media, Annie Lucasta Rogers faced discrimination in media for being a woman during this time period. Who was Annie Lucasta Rogers? She was a published cartoonist in the New York Call. Her comics mainly centered around suffragist themes and were feminism related. When she went to get a job for Hearst and be published they told her there was “no use for women in her particular line of work and no use in any other”. This caused her to change her name in her comics to Lou Rogers to sound more masculine.

Lepore: Lou Rogers comic “Tearing Off the Bonds” portrays a woman that is tied up in rope with a script printed on the rope that reads “Politics is no place for Women”. She is also wearing a hat that says “Sprit of 1000,000 women votes” The woman is slowly tearing off the rope to imply that women are slowly gaining political footing and tearing off their restraint. This definitely put women in a positive light in the media.

Kitch: The Gibson girl was also one of the first independent women to portrayed in the media. The Gibson girl’s beauty was supposed to be very powerful and make men cower at the sight of her. She is known by historians as being one of the first representations of a strong woman in the media. The Gibson illustrations portrayed men in a negative light as some of the scenes would portray men as kites with women flying them. Other scenes in the illustrations showed men being bullied and threatened by their wives. These illustrations promoted the idea of masculine women and emasculated/ feminized men and a reversal of their roles.

Lepore: Not just in what was seen in the media, the people who were in charge of the media and controlling it wanted power. As seen when Hearst did not want to give Lou Rogers a job they did not want to see women taking over positions and having a say over a man.

Source Conversation – Medias Influence on Gender Roles

Kate Bogert – Interviewer

Carolyn Kitch – Northwestern University author,  Destructive Women and Little Men: Masculinity, the New Woman, and Power in 1910s Popular Media

Jill Lepore – author, The Secret History of Women Woman