Concept Experience #6

1. It has been shown through research that feelings displayed on Facebook are contagious. If you see more positive posts than negative posts, then you start posting more positive posts as well.

The first hyperlink lead to an article on redorbit.com about over all research about connections of emotions on Facebook. yes ti tells us the sources once we click the link, but if a person decided not to click the link, what research? It is so very vague.  I see its’ relevance, but it didn’t show a certain research study that was done, just a summary of multiple studies. The second link had absolutely no connection to Facebook. It just stated the difference between infectious and contagious. It is not relevant to the article at hand, especially since we aren’t talking about a disease whatsoever, we are discussing emotions.

2. There have been studies done on Facebook and all the emotions related to posts. “We have enough power in this data set to show that emotional expressions spread online and also that positive expressions spread more than negative.”

Pretty much everyone all over the world, knows what Facebook is, we don’t need a link to the website since it doesn’t help with the study at hand. I know I am guilty of putting the Facebook.com link in my Concept Experience #5 as well, but it really isn’t necessary. For example, I just sat on Facebook for twenty minutes due to the fact that it popped up when I clicked that link. The second hyperlink again lead to me to the same article discussing contagious and infectious diseases as was in #1. That doesn’t even connect to what the sentence is discussing whatsoever. It might be a mistake with hyperlinks getting jumbled, but it really has no context whatsoever.

3. Researchers in a new study have found that feelings displayed on Facebook are contagious. They found enough data to show that “emotional expressions spread online and also that positive expressions spread more than negative.”

This link works better here for the fact that it is talking mostly about the ew study at had. In point #1 it is very vague and doesn’t belong where it is, but it fits a lot better in this new position. There is still a lack of citations and credit where credit is due, especially for the quotation. Where is the quotation from? Who said it?

4. In a new study, researchers from University of California, San Diego have found that feelings displayed on Facebook are contagious. Publishing a paper in the journal PLOS ONE, the team analyzed over a billion anonymous status updates from more than 100 million Facebook subscribers across the United States and found that positive posts beget positive posts and negative posts beget negative posts. They said that while both are common on the site, the positive posts are more influential. They concluded, “We have enough power in this data set to show that emotional expressions spread online and also that positive expressions spread more than negative.”

This section, since it is from a real, credited article it has all the right citations and information to help us out. The first hyperlink takes us to the actual study, unlike #3 which took us to an independent article that discussed the study. This links us to valid research instead of any opinion piece where the author can say what they want about the topic. The second hyperlink, PLOS ONE, shows us that PLOS ONE, is credited and has all the qualifications to be a scholarly article and is peer reviewed. It validates their authority on the subject at hand.

One thought on “Concept Experience #6”

1. EXCELLENT Katie! Now you know what NOT to do in your project! I like that you saw that the link in #3 was not to the actual study, but to an article that discussed the study. The link to the study is a more credible link!