Partial Draft Assignment

Does does the music video industry influence the objectification of women and how does it affect our own thinking? Well, people watch, and they learn. If they see people using women as objects and sexualizing them, they will think that it is okay. There have been many different studies that all agree, especially in young adults, that showing how to treat women, will influence their own opinions about women. People who watch the more sexualized videos tend to have greater acceptance of women as objects, sexual permissiveness, stereotypical gender roles, and acceptance of rape. We live in a society where sex sells and more often than not, it is a women selling it. We are supposed to be evolving as a world but instead we are perpetuating the notion that women are objects for men or women to look at and use. Sexualizing women in music videos, and even other forms of media, will soon have women thinking that ist here worth and they will see themselves as sexual objects. I am not saying it isn’t a bad thing to be proud of who you are, including your looks and sexuality, but when men and even women are objectifying women it gives the wrong message to viewers.

The problem that I still have after all of my research is: why is it okay to objectify women but when women retaliate and do the same to men, it causes and uproar. For example, the Blurred Lines parody, Defined Lines, was removed from Youtube due to so called hate speech on a group (males). Yes, they took it a little far, but when Robyn Thicks’  Blurred Lines video came out, people loved the video with the naked girls dancing around. Listening to the lyrics, people pointed out that they were “rapey”. So men can sing a song insinuating rape, with half naked women jumping around, but women can’t have a video making fun of the original song, with half naked men dancing around? It is hypocritical on so many levels.

Another example is Jennifer Lopez’s music video for her new song “I Luh Ya Papi.” It opens to JLo and friends discussing how men are allowed to have music videos on yachts and at mansions with half naked females running around and dancing but women can’t do that with men. The music videos goes into her singing her new song, on yachts and at mansions with half naked men running around. It doesn’t have hate speech like”Defined Lines”, it literally just mirrors other pop and hip-hop music videos but switching gender roles. It created a lot of uproar due to the fact that even thought they try to make a point about he objectification of women, JLo still objectifies herself by dressing herself in very little clothing, and dancing provocatively. One of the friends at the very end of the video asks why “the guys gotta have all the fun?” Casey Kovarik made a very good point in her article about Lopez’s video. Kovarik states, “Objectification is never fun. The solution to men objectifying women is not to retaliate.” While I completely agree, I also don’t see why people like JLo and the ladies who made the Defined Lines video get nasty comments and even their videos removed, when other videos, who objectify women don’t get much backlash.  It is terrible that today’s society is so used to the objectification of women that when women objectify men, it is retaliation, causes a scandal, and is “faux-feminism.”

My overall argument is that music videos influence the viewers opinions about the objectification of women due to the sexual content shown in the videos. What people see is what they learn, and the perpetuation of using women and her body to sell something, especially music, is not okay. Some people may disagree, and say that it is fine because it is the social norm and most people are okay with it, but just because people don’t think much of it anymore, doesn’t mean it isn’t wrong.

I believe the music video industry does influence objectifying women and changes the viewers opinions, normally to have a greater acceptance of stereotypical gender roles, rape, and sexual permissiveness because

• what they see is what they know, and if Drake or Lil Wayne is doing something in a music video, they want to do the exact same thing.
  • research shows that there is a correlation between how sexualized a video is and how it changes a viewers acceptance rate.
  • sex sells, even music, and using someone’s sexuality to promote a product is showing that they are an object and people will treat them like one.

2 thoughts on “Partial Draft Assignment”

1. I think you have a great start and your subject is really important. It sounds like you have a lot of evidence that you can include and a lot of directions you can do in. The objectification of women, not just in music videos but in general, is something that is important and should be discussed and I’m glad you’re doing it!
    Obviously it’s a problem that this is happening and I know it is, but I think you could benefit from talking a little bit more about specifically why it’s a problem. I think talking about the ways that women are affected by their objectification and using specific examples if you’ve found any would really help people understand why this is such a problem and why they should care. because it is and they should.
    When you said “JLo still objectifies herself by dressing herself in very little clothing” I would disagree that JLo is objectifying herself. If dressing that way makes her feel good and she enjoys dancing the way she does, she should be able to without anyone objectifying her. I do think that this example and the “defined lines” example are great segways into one of the problems you brought up about objectifying women in music videos, “people like JLo and the ladies who made the Defined Lines video get nasty comments and even their videos removed, when other videos, who objectify women don’t get much backlash” -double standards.
    Anyway keep up the good work!(:

2. You and I had a great discussion about this point: “The problem that I still have after all of my research is: why is it okay to objectify women but when women retaliate and do the same to men, it causes and uproar.”
    I think you need to really hone in on the Blurred Lines video debate. Don’t assume we’ve seen the video, and when you include the video, don’t assume we’ll go to the link and automatically understand the points you wish to emphasize. YOU have to provide analysis and commentary that draws our attention to pieces of the video that are relevant to your argument.
    One of your writers said “The solution to men objectifying women is not to retaliate.” Okay, if that’s the solution — how will that help? How can men recognize objectification if there isn’t a place for women and other men to call attention to it? What is wrong with parody? (look this up if you don’t know what it means — and then, is Lopez’s video a parody? Maybe it isn’t — I haven’t studied it). If women can’t retaliate, what CAN they do?
    Here’s the situation about video games I was talking about in our conference:
    In 2009, Anita Sarkeesian started a website Feminist Frequency with the intention of creating feminist media criticism accessible to the younger generation. She paid a heavy penalty from male viewers. Google her — even Wikipedia documents what happened to her. Maybe add “harrassment” to your search term with her name and see what you get.
    The point is: Sarkeesian was trying to produce a serious discussion of sexualization of women in videos and she was criticized too. Lopez — same thing. So there’s a bigger problem at hand here — i.e. why can’t women speak up about objectification? This is what troubles you, and it will make for an awesome project!